Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM

19,688 posts, read 12,265,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. We need to do that here in the US, as well, but will Americans go for that? The left-wing insists on equality of outcomes. That precludes sorting kids into career tracks in the 6th grade.
Why are professors given a higher status in the US? That's a left-wing thing.
No way US would go for that. Parents would freak out and sue if their special snowflake was sent to machine shop school. Even if that is the best course for him or her.

But that kind of control is needed when you start handing out major freebies. I understand that in countries that do provide free college there are strict rules in place and you can't just up and change your major or drop out or you have to pay money back. You have to commit to a major quite early on and it must be a lot of pressure for a young person. I don't know what happens if you flunk out.

I remember an episode of the old Candid Camera in which a college counselor told a student his aptitude test indicated he was well suited for manual labor. The look on the kid's face was priceless. Now that joke would not fly, the student would be running for a safe space and scarred for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
How quickly people forget just how little cash they spent on their own education. Hello? Most of us were able to work through college and/or pay it off in a few years with a small monthly payment. Today's grads have mortgage size loans...bad, bad, bad.
Exactly.
When I attended college, a semester's tuition was less than $500.00.
Had I gone a couple of year's earlier it would have been $0.

I just missed the days of free, yes free, tuition at CUNY.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:13 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And who is going to pay for it exactly?
I graduated college debt free by working every chance i got.

signed, a 23 year old millennial.

Now that the above is out of the way, what does this have to do with entitlement, other first world nations have it and I believe we are better than all of those countries.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,530,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
some people dont like being enslaved to the state either through taxes.
What do you think of people who EARN free college through the GI bill?
If they were in the military, then they were willing to risk their life for our country. The GI bill was one of the incentives for doing so. I don't consider that free college. Just like someone that earns a scholarship based on grades/merit, earned it.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No way US would go for that. Parents would freak out and sue if their special snowflake was sent to machine shop school. Even if that is the best course for him or her.
But that is exactly how it's done in Europe. Germany's system is typical:

Your child has to score in the upper 5th Percentile to avoid going to the Hauptschule or the Schulart mit mehreren Bildungsgängen or Berufsschule, where they basically learn how to retread tires or something else akin to manual labor.

About 65%-70% of students end up there.

The whole point of the German system is to get the coveted Abitur.

Your child gets an Abitur, then your child goes to college --- free -- and if not, then hopefully your child has a nice rewarding career as a sales clerk in a shop (or maybe a shoppe).

Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 PM

17,455 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Oh, about college. The tuition, books, room and boar should be a loan from the federal government at the fed interest rate to be paid back with a permanent surcharge on the student's income tax. We do not need to subsidize the private banking system with this program any longer.
"we" (the Federal Government) has NOT "subsidized the private banking system" College Loans since
Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act March 30, 2010, when the Federal Government took over Student Loans as part of the method to Finance the Affordable Care Act.

Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010

It still amazes me that Kiddos, their parents and the General public don't understand this. I would add that not a single Republican voted for this disaster and that Bernie did vote for it.

Banks have next to ZERO to do with Student Loans. You can thank the Leftist, Obama and all who voted to take over the Student Loan program for Student Loan Debt skyrocketing.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 PM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Now that the above is out of the way, what does this have to do with entitlement, other first world nations have it and I believe we are better than all of those countries.
Other first world countries charge their middle class the highest (or very nearly so) marginal income tax rate PLUS everyone pays a 20-25% VAT tax on top of that. Think Americans will agree to that?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:40 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,095,636 times
I worked my way through college and grad school. It made me appreciate the value of education. I expect others to do no more than that which I have done.

My daughters 529 was fully funded 5 weeks after her birth. I expect other parents to do something similar as I'm not interested in further educating the by-products of their recreational sex activities.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Should be based on ROI. If the ROI on a college education is negligible or negative, it should be priced accordingly.
Uh, no.

When the graduate is unwilling or refuses to use their degree to better themselves, it's not the taxpayer's problem.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Other first world countries charge their middle class the highest (or very nearly so) marginal income tax rate PLUS everyone pays a 20-25% VAT tax on top of that. Think Americans will agree to that?
France and Germany, do not charge the highest or even near so when it comes to tax rates and that includes Value added taxes.

To answer your question, if it was actually explained that it would cost less that way, then yes. however I doubt some would listen, and there would also be that group of conservatives attacking the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies