Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 03:11 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times

Advertisements

This is great news. I'll finally get that water front property without having to sell or move.
They may raise my property taxes though.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:11 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is a news article that described a scientific study....This study... Temperature-driven global sea-level variability in the Common Era

I'm not the smartest either. That's why I rely on those who are smarter....Published respected scientists.
Do you people think we humans can slow the rise of the oceans, even if the planet decides to warm up?

Compared to the last ten thousand years, we are actually living in a cool period right now. Are we never supposed to warm up, just stay in this cool climatic period for all eternity?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:08 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I'm not in the mood to indulge yet another gish gallop at the moment.

Just get to your point.

We were talking about sea level, then you came in demanding information about measurements and talking about the consensus and ice ages and leftist agendas and anti-gun lobbies and generalizing about 'liberals', throwing out as much vague BS as you can to make sure no one will have enough patience to respond to it all. Next up-- Al Gore, tax conspiracies, hardworking American taxpayers, China, and possibly something from Lindzen or Spender or Curry or Watts.

Is it really unreasonable to trust actual scientific sources more than I trust you or Limbaugh or Cato?

Here:

Measuring sea level on a dynamic Earth | Earth | EarthSky

And we're not talking about guns here.
The last paragraph in your article just throws your entire argument out.....great job on proving yourself wrong!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I'm pretty sure your point is that you hate liberals and are scared because you think they're taking over the world.
No, not really, unlike you, I have the ability to hear others talk and cipher what they say....you, have no clue what this is or possibly means (reference you posts here in this thread).

Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Default Marco Rubio, namesake of all "Marcos"

If anybody is wondering why all climate change deniers and/or climate change "let's do nothing" advocates are appropriately called "Marcos," please read this article.

Miami Beach mayor: Rubio '100%' sounds like a climate change denier | Environment | The Guardian

Doesn't he sound just like many posters in this thread?

I wonder if his climate change absurdities will end, if not now, eventually, his Florida political career and even his national political career.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Wow! What chaotically muddled, Fox News-inspired Marco propaganda! I often wish that I was a writer for Colbert. He and I could have great fun creating a character who talks and thinks like this. Perhaps I'll drop him an e-mail with a sample. Perhaps I could make some money while debunking Marcos!

Obviously? Did you forget that I'm a Nobel laureate in physics and Trapper John was a mere medical doctor, albeit one who would have joyfully obliterated anyone who wanted to argue about the mathematical definition of "lion's share???"

Many "liberal" politicians defer to Marcos. It's true conservatives who are driven "to conserve" the environment who would have little use for Marco propaganda.

As you imagine yourself to be such an accomplished wordsmith, I would have thought that you would know that a Marco could never be a "conservative," and, consequently, there are actually relatively few conservatives in the true sense of the word any longer in the Republican Party, certainly not in terms of Teddy Roosevelt, or even Everett Dirksen, whom I remember from my youth as an opponent of strip mining. Can you imagine a leader in the Republican Party with that position today???

Complete deflection. As expected.

The US is NOT the problem from a global perspective. Period.

You are a math denier. A regular flat-earther. You probably believe earth is 4000 years old and evolution isn't real.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 03-17-2016 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do you people think we humans can slow the rise of the oceans, even if the planet decides to warm up?

Compared to the last ten thousand years, we are actually living in a cool period right now. Are we never supposed to warm up, just stay in this cool climatic period for all eternity?
The planet does not make decisions, and the climate since the last glacial period is a lot more complicated than you think. We are not living in a cold period....Far from it.

The cold phases seem to have been relatively abrupt, and each lasted several centuries before an apparently rapid switch back to warmer conditions. on this approximate periodicity are dated at 11,100 10,300 9,400 8,100 5,900 4,200 2,800 and 1400 years ago; they include the 8,600 y.a. and 2,600 y.a. events which seem to have been the most extreme in terms of showing up in terrestrial records around the world. The unstable nature of the Earth's climate history suggests that it may be liable to change suddenly in the future. By putting large quantities of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, humans are exerting pressure on the climate system which might produce a drastic change without much prior warning. As the geologist W.S. Broecker has said, "Climate is an angry beast, and we are poking it with sticks". http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc130k.html

Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Guns, independent thought, true skepticism, especially about posting links, truck owners, those who fish, power tool operators, if you have ever NOT voted for a Clinton, gore, or Obama, if you don't own a Prius, if you drink beer vs a latte, if John Deere sounds cooler than living in a condo in an avante garde community, if you have degrees-or not- but don't define yourself by your degree, if you have children....

All are climate deniers. Which I'm not sure is a realistic statement since we all deal with climate in some capacity... But the observation is SETTLED.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 PM

34,991 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Guns, independent thought, true skepticism, especially about posting links, truck owners, those who fish, power tool operators, if you have ever NOT voted for a Clinton, gore, or Obama, if you don't own a Prius, if you drink beer vs a latte, if John Deere sounds cooler than living in a condo in an avante garde community, if you have degrees-or not- but don't define yourself by your degree, if you have children....

All are climate deniers. Which I'm not sure is a realistic statement since we all deal with climate in some capacity... But the observation is SETTLED.
I am an extremely liberal Democrat and I no not believe in man-made climate change. Here's the scorecard concerning the above factors:

1. Guns - I don't own guns
  2. independent thought - I suppose I think independently
  3. true skepticism, especially about posting links,- Not sure whether I'm skeptical about posting links
  4. truck owners,- I own a Toyota Camry, not a truck
  5. those who fish, - I occasionally fish, when there's a temple Men's Club fishing trip
  6. power tool operators,- I use a power drill now and then
  7. if you have ever NOT voted for a Clinton, gore, or Obama - I voted for Bill Clinton both times (a friend insists I voted for Dole but I don't think so). I voted for Gore in 2000. I voted for Bush II in 2004. I voted for McCain in 2008, Romney in 2012.
  8. if you don't own a Prius,- I own a Toyota Camry, not a Prius
  9. if you drink beer vs a latte,- I drink beer more often
  10. if John Deere sounds cooler than living in a condo in an avante garde community,- Neutral. I do neither. I live in a not very trendy HOA.
  11. if you have degrees-or not- but don't define yourself by your degree,- I have a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell and a law degree from Boston University
  12. if you have children. - I have a 20 year old and 18 1/2 year old.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am an extremely liberal Democrat and I no not believe in man-made climate change. Here's the scorecard concerning the above factors:

1. Guns - I don't own guns
  2. independent thought - I suppose I think independently
  3. true skepticism, especially about posting links,- Not sure whether I'm skeptical about posting links
  4. truck owners,- I own a Toyota Camry, not a truck
  5. those who fish, - I occasionally fish, when there's a temple Men's Club fishing trip
  6. power tool operators,- I use a power drill now and then
  7. if you have ever NOT voted for a Clinton, gore, or Obama - I voted for Bill Clinton both times (a friend insists I voted for Dole but I don't think so). I voted for Gore in 2000. I voted for Bush II in 2004. I voted for McCain in 2008, Romney in 2012.
  8. if you don't own a Prius,- I own a Toyota Camry, not a Prius
  9. if you drink beer vs a latte,- I drink beer more often
  10. if John Deere sounds cooler than living in a condo in an avante garde community,- Neutral. I do neither. I live in a not very trendy HOA.
  11. if you have degrees-or not- but don't define yourself by your degree,- I have a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell and a law degree from Boston University
  12. if you have children. - I have a 20 year old and 18 1/2 year old.
I would contend awesome for 2 reasons:

1. You didn't demean an obvious mock of much of the name calling that occurs on both sides
2. Repeat the above

True conversations often can't be held. You seem like a person it could, even when there are differences.

Note: I am not much of the above either. I just captured many of the often used examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.