Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
What do you think the 'debate' is and what are the 'sides' and the 'middle'?
Flip back. I've stated my position previously.

I'm just enjoying the name calling now.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I've been reading the risk management stuff for years. Started all the way back in the 80s as a young teen. Used to argue with my step dad as I got older. He was in the coal industry.

It's funny arguing from reading vs a person in the industry. Opened my eyes a lot.

I know I won't have one modicum of persuasion on either side in this debate. Both are entrenched and 'right'.

However there is a whole bunch of people in the middle, including the generalized 'scientists' everyone always refers too. Funny thing about most articles one reads not coming from either ideological viewpoint: the last paragraph for many take a 'we just aren't sure, but it's wise to clean things up as much as we can for many reasons' approach.

If that makes one a flat earther in certain eyes, so be it.

I actually read these for the name calling. It gets quite comical.
Quote:

So basically you are just trolling when you reply? Not actually trying to add or discuss any thing?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:53 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:

Actually I was asking what you think the scientific 'debate' is amongst scientists, and what you think are the 'sides' and the 'middle'.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Actually I was asking what you think the scientific 'debate' is amongst scientists, and what you think are the 'sides' and the 'middle'.
I worded that poorly as I was watching the road to the final four.

There is debate among scientists, no doubt. That's been discussed in other threads. Ironically, much of the actual science debate is in the middle: what to do about it.

My reference to 'sides' was the all-man made vs natural earth cycle/not occurring, and those 2 sides referring to scientists generally. Each point to an article validating their side, refuting the other. Then they argue. It is quite comical.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Piggybacking is a possibility, but since the current trend began at the time of the US Civil War, and since the global climate over the past 2000 years has been impacted by the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age making the norm unknowable, the contribution attributable to CO2 elevation, if any, would also be unknowable.

That the current trend of 3.41mm/year global sea rise, what the alarmists are all nervous about, is low-average based on the past 19,000 years of recovery from glaciation, I fail to see the problem or, aside from a new Little Ice Age, a solution to what is claimed to be a problem.
There could be something badly wrong. My suggestion is that we all first panic. And I mean deep, abiding panic that the world is about to end. And then engage, in search of a solution, such noted scientists making "guest appearances" as:
  • Chris Pine
  • Jon Bon Jovi
  • Lance Bass
  • Ed Begley, Jr
  • Vance Joy
  • Peter Gabriel
There are musical performances to help focus the politicians as:
  • Damian Kulash
  • Duran Duran
  • Elton John
  • Fall Out Boy
  • Florence & The Machine
  • Hozier
  • Mumford And Sons
  • Walk The Moon

There is ample precedent. See Paris "Climate" Summit; Entertainers & Politicians Unite to Fight "Climate Change".

Old 03-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There could be something badly wrong. My suggestion is that we all first panic. And I mean deep, abiding panic that the world is about to end. And then engage, in search of a solution, such noted scientists making "guest appearances" as:
  • Chris Pine
  • Jon Bon Jovi
  • Lance Bass
  • Ed Begley, Jr
  • Vance Joy
  • Peter Gabriel
There are musical performances to help focus the politicians as:
  • Damian Kulash
  • Duran Duran
  • Elton John
  • Fall Out Boy
  • Florence & The Machine
  • Hozier
  • Mumford And Sons
  • Walk The Moon

There is ample precedent. See Paris "Climate" Summit; Entertainers & Politicians Unite to Fight "Climate Change".
I like you more and more. That is platonic as I am straight, and ugly, but non judgemental about preference. I'm just ugly, so f/m/t... I'm an ugly dude.

But it is great to see humor, and good points, made in the same post.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 AM

572 posts, read 279,892 times
Quote:
I like you more and more. That is platonic as I am straight, and ugly, but non judgemental about preference. I'm just ugly, so f/m/t... I'm an ugly dude.

But it is great to see humor, and good points, made in the same post.
Why are you encouraging this sort of idiocy?

Out of all the deniers with their questionable logic, you seem to be the one most likely to actually put critical thought into this debate... and yet you keep snickering away with the idiots who like to make fun of people much smarter than they are, patting them on the back like some nerdy kid trying desperately to win the approval of his bully.

Wow, yes, celebrities come together to support causes. This is usually about fundraising and/or raising awareness of an issue, NOT about coming together and doing scientific experiments. It doesn't mean that people who know what they're doing aren't currently involved. Does this seriously need to be pointed out to you??

I guess that cancer charity concerts are pretty stupid too?
Hahaha... stupid musicians who want to help people with cancer-- what a bunch of losers!!

Last edited by STWR; 03-26-2016 at 12:54 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post

Out of all the deniers with their questionable logic, you seem to be the one most likely to actually put critical thought into this debate... and yet you keep snickering away with the idiots who like to make fun of people much smarter than they are, patting them on the back like some nerdy kid trying desperately to win the approval of his bully.

Wow, yes, celebrities come together to support causes. This is usually about fundraising and/or raising awareness of an issue, NOT about coming together and doing scientific experiments. It doesn't mean that people who know what they're doing aren't currently involved. Does this seriously need to be pointed out to you??

Hahaha... stupid musicians who want to help people with cancer-- what a bunch of losers!!
Trolls gonna troll.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post

There you go folks.....we are all dumb......

Old 03-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
There you go folks.....we are all dumb......
Putting words in folks mouth...

Where do you keep running off to, I wish you'd stop running away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies