Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
They've already had five years to train replacement troops. Basic training takes 3 months.

Don't you, at any level, wonder why they haven't already gotten this program accomplished?
Not really, we haven't had discussions concerning exit strategies, and that is what I am proposing. A brief period of training will likely result in troops being overrun, you need some experience built into the troops too, along with infrastructure and communications. This period provides for this, while having a staged reduced presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Not really, we haven't had discussions concerning exit strategies, and that is what I am proposing. A brief period of training will likely result in troops being overrun, you need some experience built into the troops too, along with infrastructure and communications. This period provides for this, while having a staged reduced presence.
The Iraqi troops/national police have five years of experience dealing with their civil war already. Their performance has been abysmal. The Iraqis are not going to behave the way we want them to. They're going to do their own Iraqi thing as soon as we leave, no matter when we leave. Nowhere in the middle east is going to adopt anything resembling a western democratic model. They see it as being as abhorrent as we see sharia law.

There is no good argument for spending more lives and resources on this failed misadventure.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Actually, the Iraqi National Forces have only been really in existence for a little over a year. The new National Government, with their new Constitution has only been around for that long.

Then, putting a sufficient force together has been daunting in that there needed to be a seperation of sectarian issues.

Then of course, dealing with the issues of those, trying to sign up, were often blown up by insurgent forces - while they were waiting in line.

The new Iraqi National Force is in the field with US forces and, by most accounts, is doing quite well. They are taking the lead in many areas while the US forces still need to train them in other areas.

But, they are coming on.

Hence one of the reasons that some 30k US forces are being withdrawn -

Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
They are in the middle of a civil war!
The groups are too fractured for it to really be considered a civil war.

Quote:
Dont fool yourself, the Middle East will never become a democracy.
Having our troops there while they are "rebuilding" causes them to be in harms way and more die everyday. Have you seen the $ we have sent to rebuild and the extreme waste? Some places still do not have water or electric.
I have my own doubts about the viability of democracy in the Middle East for the next few centuries, but it is not like Arabs are genetically incapable of being democratic or at least doing better than violent despots.

I suppose it would be better to say the country itself is rebuilding both structurally and in terms of reforms. Oh, the contracts for the rebuilding of Iraq have been filled with more graft, waste, and corruption than mafia run construction companies.

Quote:
Is that so? Maybe you should ask the families of the thousands of Iraq citizens who have been slaughtered ,if they think having our troops there is a vast improvement over Saddam.
This war was illegal and morally wrong.
We have just created more hatred against this country from the people in the middle east.
I was against the war. I still think it wasn't the best idea for the exact situation that is going on right now; the humanitarian, logistic, economic, and diplomatic reasons. I do share some views with neoconservatives regarding the removal of dictators and other dangerous regimes, but only when it is practical and is likely to save more people than kill.

Although it is not illegal. First of all, I don't put much stock in the United Nations for pretty much anything. Second of all, Saddam was repeatedly in violation of the UN resolutions regarding weapons inspections anyways, which would give the United States and/or the UN grounds to use military action against Saddam. People don't like to dwell on it because it is neither the smoking gun weapons programs that got the Right foaming at the mouth (Read: Makes them look like they are using it as an excuse, especially after acting like the troops would be tripping over VX shells) and it is a legal detail that takes away from liberal rhetoric about illegal wars.

I agree in that the invasion should not have happened, but unless someone can pony up a time machine to see what would have happened, we're stuck with it. Iraq is in a very fragile stage and the US shouldn't leave until the Iraqi army is trained and has the manpower to the point where they can fight their own battles. Regardless of the democratic nature of Iraq, it is vital to both American and the world's interests' that Iraq does not fall within Iran sphere of influence or otherwise becomes an Islamic state.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I want out---yesterday. That country is their problem, not ours. Game over!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
everyone that is for war should be given the opportunity to sign up.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I want out---yesterday. That country is their problem, not ours. Game over!
Great sound byte.

Not practicle

Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
Many already have.

For those of us who are too old, there are other things many of us do to help our brave men and women there -

I have been privileged to be able to make two trips, as a civilian, to Iraq to help deliver "care packages" to the troops. While there, I (and the others with me) got to see "things" that the media will not "print".

Our troops are doing a heck of a job - and the Iraqi people appreciate it.

Yes, the Iraqi people want us out - no question. But, they also realize why we are there. It is a realitively small group of terrorists who fear the freedoms that the majority of Iraqi people now see are attainable.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
I have already served in several conflicts. Have you? Yeah I got to keep a few battle scars as well.
If we could pull the troops today I would be all for it. Fact is we can't until we return some stability to Iraq.
Split Iraq into 3 nations. Kurds, ****e, and the sunni. This might be the only way to bring a semblance of stability to Iraq. Of course the oil poor will feel crapped on but oh well. Imagine how the oil rich Kurds felt when they were being gased while Saddam was cashing checks for kurd oil.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM

32 posts, read 26,797 times
300,000 children died in Iraq , Massacred. Many of them were genocidal painful deaths, with suffering.

All in the name of oil and money for these elite oil men and elite bankers.

president bush has been in office we have gone to war,gas prices have sky rocketed,and medical care is still to expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies