Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost;43117574[B
]So the Right gives full control of their duty to write laws to the gun lobby, the gun lobby writes themselves a free pass, and you think the "leftists" are the ones abusing the judicial system? [/b] Unbelievable. Did you feel the same way when both Obama and GWB handed the reigns to the Insurance and Pharma industries (respectively)? I bet not. At least on one of those two examples....
Congress writes laws. People vote in those Congress critters.
Now if those elected officials spend their time doing the bidding of lobbyists and the people know this and don't care then it's the people's fault, not the business entity.

Max Baucus was fully owned by the insurance industry and he was in Congress, and "authored" (very loosely termed) Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
CNN's Sandy Hook Lawsuit Report Omits Crucial Detail: Adam Lanza Stole His Guns - Breitbart

Would you expect anything else from The Clinton News Network?

Caution, *******s at work!
Yeah those pesty gun free zones IN SCHOOLS.

Frigging Breitbutt...really?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
This appears to be the CNN February 22nd article/video that the OP is complaining about:

Why Sandy Hook parents are suing a gunmaker - CNN.com

Its an interview with the parents of a dead child and the OP is fixated on blaming "*******s" and whether a shotgun or pistol could have killed more children.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That his mother kept in the house. Responsible gun owner my ass.
In a locked safe. As responsible as you can get.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Yeah, "stole" the guns from his mother who he lived with.

Here he is playing with his mother's guns:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...newtown-04.jpg
His mother was his first victim if I am not mistaken. Theft is theft. The guns weren't loaned, sold or rented to him by the owner. They were in fact taken. That is normally called theft.
A to of people have been robbed by people that lived with them. Are you saying that a son or daughter can't rob their parents simply because the offspring also happen to live with the parent?

Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well to be fair she was dead before her son stole her guns, and it would be a first that someone dead lived up to their responsibilities, given that the phrase includes the term "lived" it infers "living", since mama Lanza had expired I don't think she can be held responsible for not living up to her responsibilities.

While people can say "these people have a right to grieve in their own way" that's true they do, and people also have the right to evaluated on their behavior during grieving. So yes it's perfectly fair to begrudge how they grieve, we would begrudge them their grief if they broke into a Freedom Arms board meeting and murdered the board, there are many limitations on people's behaviors even during grief. Call me heartless if you wish, but really we're just arguing scope, if it's not ok to kill people because of grief, then we've already established that there are limitations on behaviors during grieving.
The mother was killed with one of her own guns, a .22-caliber Savage MK II-F bolt action rifle.

But no matter what, she didn't take proper foresight. Either she was blatantly negligent in her son's problems or just obliviously negligent with her son's problems and the availability of guns. That or she thought "not my son..."

Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
His mother was his first victim if I am not mistaken. Theft is theft. The guns weren't loaned, sold or rented to him by the owner. They were in fact taken. That is normally called theft.
A to of people have been robbed by people that lived with them. Are you saying that a son or daughter can't rob their parents simply because the offspring also happen to live with the parent?
To use theft in this case is a stretch. A gun in the house you live in if in a private room is theft. There's no proof that the mother hid the gun in her room with a lockbox or anything making it for the most part cloudy. For all we know it was in a common area like say a basement or garage, thus making it not exactly theft. I will agree that you can "rob" people you live with but this isn't theft her unless there is a smoking gun of it being hid in her bedroom. You're grasping and reaching with the assertion that this was indeed theft. Plain and simple, the mother shouldn't have had the guns in her house with the disabilities her son had.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
In a locked safe. As responsible as you can get.
Nah. His mother was fully aware he had mental problems, yet encouraged and abetted his interest in firearms.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:43 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To use theft in this case is a stretch. A gun in the house you live in if in a private room is theft. There's no proof that the mother hid the gun in her room with a lockbox or anything making it for the most part cloudy. For all we know it was in a common area like say a basement or garage, thus making it not exactly theft. I will agree that you can "rob" people you live with but this isn't theft her unless there is a smoking gun of it being hid in her bedroom. You're grasping and reaching with the assertion that this was indeed theft. Plain and simple, the mother shouldn't have had the guns in her house with the disabilities her son had.
I agree!! She shouldn't have had those guns accessible to her son.
That said, Unless she allowed the son to use these guns at will, him taking them without consent is theft. No different than say her son taking the car without permission or taking money from her purse without permission. The shooter killed his mother then took the guns to the school to do his killing. Given the fact that he killed mom first I doubt that she gave him permission to borrow the guns.
Your post also shows that Remington isn't at fault in any way. They sold the gun to a dealer. The dealer sold the gun to the mother. Neither the dealer nor Remington had anything to do with the shooter. In this country we have the chronic need to sue someone. Neither guilt nor fault matter.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:47 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
I see the good old-fashioned liberal pastime of blaming the victim is alive and well on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies