Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM

59 posts, read 65,862 times

Advertisements

I don't have an opinion on this, but I'm curious.

There's a lot of talk about vets in the American public square, and a great deal of reverence in some quarters. Should veterans from an era of all-volunteer military be thought of and treated quite as reverently as those who served because they were drafted? Why or why not?

What do you think of the argument that since service is entirely voluntary, veterans don't necessarily deserve as many benefits as their predecessors once they return to civilian life?

I'm not talking about care for harm that came to them during their service. That's clearly owed them. But should their voice mean any more as a socio-political group than any other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Personally the idea that we volunteered ought to carry MORE weight not less.

As a vet who served in desert storm, I do not believe that my or any other Vet's opinion ought to carry more weight just because we served. (as volunteers or as drafted)...

ideas carry their own weight. they can be measured and debated and determined to be valid or not, popular or not...

If I suggest that my dog ought to have the right to vote, me being a vet doesn't make that a good idea. Its a stupid idea.

at the same time, veterans...even those who have dumb ideas deserve respect for standing up for our country...

just my thoughts...

Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Anyone who voluntarily or by draft, serves to protect our nation at the expense of his/her own life/safety, deserves our admiration, respect, gratitude and the full benefits that were promised and are owed to them on behalf of our country. Regardless of how a person ends up in the military, they undertake the job to protect our national security.

The President is the Commander in Chief of the military, so I do think in terms of that political issue, they should have their opinions listened to when it comes to Presidential election. The President is responsible for dictating policy to the DOD in terms of TOE and issues like sexual orientation, integration, etc., so the political ideology of a presidential candidate is a larger issue for those serving in the military then it would be for most of us.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
For me, it isn't so much about reverence. I think the draft is awful and feel angry and sympathetic for anyone subjected to that type of slavery. I wouldn't say I automatically revere either category though. I judge their individual actions and decide whether I respect what they've done. If they followed orders to kill innocent people, not following their own conscience but doing it because they were told to, I don't respect that at all. If they defended themselves and others from attackers, I respect them greatly.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post

There's a lot of talk about vets in the American public square, and a great deal of reverence in some quarters. Should veterans from an era of all-volunteer military be thought of and treated quite as reverently as those who served because they were drafted? Why or why not?

What do you think of the argument that since service is entirely voluntary, veterans don't necessarily deserve as many benefits as their predecessors once they return to civilian life?

I'm not talking about care for harm that came to them during their service. That's clearly owed them. But should their voice mean any more as a socio-political group than any other?
Nothing you said before added up to your final statement. "Their voice" does not mean any more than any other socio-political group...although I don't think you can call veterans a "socio-political group" with any real meaning.

They may have volunteered, but they were never paid the value of the contracts they signed, which obligated them to nearly everything their nation could ask: The longest hours, the worst conditions, the most heinous assignments, up to and including giving their lives. I'm sure any corporation would love such a contract, but would have to pay a lot more than the military does.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post

I believe those that have served for whatever reason should be respected for the contribution they made and ensured that the benefits they were promised and the health care they may require for service related issues is provided. Do I believe that they should get discounts for the rest of their life no, or considerations in housing or employment for the rest of their life, not necessarily.

We had a local news story about a veteran and his family who was going to lose his home (cue the music & tears) which at a glance seems tragic until you hear the whole story. The person in question had served for a few years back in the 70's then got out, he had a 25+ year career working for the Navy Supply Center as a civilian and now was losing his job for an undisclosed reason. This is not a vet losing his home! This is an insult to veterans, this person has had an entire life as a civilian which is now hitting a rough patch but to call this a homeless vet is an insult to those who recently served and are having troubles readjusting to civilian life. Very often our media is filled with stories of homeless vets from the 60's who are out on the streets, what has their life consisted of the last 40 years?

Should veterans speak as a collective voice, that's up to them? but at least they have contributed which is more than many yelling and protesting can say. Before you tear this apart I served for 20 years in the Navy as an enlisted man and base my posting on that experience.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:06 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
From Military.com

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

Before you raise your right hand, make sure you understand what you are swearing or attesting to. The oath of enlistment should not be taken lightly, you will be bound by it for the next 4 to 6 years at a minimum.

After I got out of the US ARMY and went to work, I never had to make a pledge.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
when someone gifts his country a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America’ for an amount of ‘up to and including their life’, whether drafted or not, they deserve (at minimum) to be revered.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
when someone gifts his country a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America’ for an amount of ‘up to and including their life’, whether drafted or not, they deserve (at minimum) to be revered.
My Father served in WWII, transporting wounded soldiers, Uncle in the Navy, WWII. Cousin in Viet Nam, Son in Special Forces, Grandchildren also in Military!....................you are definitely right!!! I am so proud of my family and all of the men and women who serve in the Military, they are our heroes and we should never forget that!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
I have seen this voluntary VS. drafted come up many times for different reasons, whether someone wanted to go or didn't want to go is meaningless as both have made sacrifices. Glad to see the present day vets that volunteered treated with reverence that was not the case for some in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies