Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:50 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this some. As I noted in another post there is no such thing as an 'election season', at least, if you look at the Constitution (although I argued that it could be the period between election day and the day the Electors cast their official votes for President and Vice President).

Why is this considered 'election' season by some? Obviously, because candidates have declared (mainly in 2015) that they are running for President of the United States in November 2016. You have candidates, hence it is an 'election season'.

Now, let us suppose, for fun, that Donald Trump wins the Presidency this November, but that the Senate changes hands to a Democratic majority. Upon taking office in January 2017 Mr. Trump declares that he is ready to submit a nomination to the Supreme Court.

Why couldn't someone, like Elizabeth Warren or even (shudder) Hillary Rodham Clinton, or any other Democrat, immediately declare (and file the proper paperwork) that they are running for the 2020 presidency? If you have declared candidates, then it must be 'election season'. Hence, the Democratic majority in the Senate would declare that they must wait until the next election to abide by the will of the American people, and so will not consider any nominee put up by Mr. Trump.

Just a fun thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 01:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let the obstruction begin. This is gonna be fun!
Still no one explains Harry Reids years of delaying Bills and Budgets.
OK for thee but not for me attitudes.

As mentioned Senator Biden and Obama both said no to nomination considerations during election years. How can you argue against them?

Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I hate our government so much sometimes I almost look forward to everything collapsing.

These people HAVE GOT TO STOP with this hard party line no exceptions way of governing. They are all going to go down in history as the very worst of the USA.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wow, a bunch of Liberal Democrats upset they are not getting their way. Who would have thunk?

Even good old Joe Biden agrees with Senator Obama that the nomination should be put off during an election year.

Surely you can't disagree with Obama and Biden on the issue?
If you can throttle back on the gleeful cackling for a moment, you might want to consider that not everyone who disagrees with you on this issue is a Democrat, or even a liberal. I, for example, am an independent who left the Democratic Party 15 years ago.

From the link:

Quote:
A Fox News poll released earlier this month found that registered voters favor Obama and Senate leaders to "take action to fill the vacancy now" by a margin of 62% to 34%. A Pew Research Center poll released Monday found a majority of Americans (56%) say the Senate should hold hearings and vote on Obama's choice to fill the vacancy, with 38% saying they should not hold hearings until the next president takes office.
This is going to hurt the Republipunks a lot more than they're bright enough to realize.

The Number 1 concern in the minds of most voters (according to a number of polls) is the outrage over a bickering partisan government that cares more about keeping themselves in power than they do serving the people. Expect the Democrats to beat voters over the head with this 24/7 from now until November - I see a TV commercial with a shot of McConnell saying "Our number one priority is to prevent Obama from winning a second term" morphing into him saying that the Senate will refuse to consider any nominee for the Supreme Court, no matter how qualified they will be. Freeze frame on a shot of his ugly, bitter, hateful facial expression, and the narrator voices over "Do you want to know why your government never seems to do anything to help the average American live a better life? This is why - because the Republicans are on record as saying that that's not what they are in Washington to do. These people are not on your side, and not only are they not afraid to admit it, they actually brag about it." The Dems are going to ride this all the way to a Senate majority.

I did not vote for Obama in 2012, and hold him in almost as much contempt as I do Biden. I was not planning to vote this year, because I despise Hillary even more than I do Obama and Biden. But now I am going to - I will be showing up to vote for whatever Democrat is running against Trump or Cruz or Bozo the Clown or whomever you people finally pick as your nominee. I don't care who it is - as long as they're a Democrat, I am going to vote for them. I wouldn't have before, but I am now, and I think you will be quite surprised at how many others will be doing the same.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
What does "pound sand" actually mean?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Republicans have lost all claims of being for the Constitution going forward.
how?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Still no one explains Harry Reids years of delaying Bills and Budgets.
OK for thee but not for me attitudes.

As mentioned Senator Biden and Obama both said no to nomination considerations during election years. How can you argue against them?
Funny how it's different and unfair when it's not in their favor, right? bunch of whiners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
What does "pound sand" actually mean?
Urban Dictionary: Pound Sand

Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
If the republicans actually follow this path it may very well do them more damage than good come November, depending on how big this issue could become.
Exactly the point.

What will the Republicans do if a Democrat wins the presidency and re-takes the Senate??

Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Exactly the point.

What will the Republicans do if a Democrat wins the presidency and re-takes the Senate??
Cry like little girls as some Pinko ultra left winger is rapidly confirmed. Everyone else will laugh, and laugh and laugh...

Honestly the smartest thing the Republicans could do is come up with a best option list and negotiate a decent compromise.

They aren't going to get another ultra conservative member in, as with the dumpster fire that is the Republican primary, the D's are feeling confident that they will hold the White House at the very least. If the Senate makes this ugly, there's a very real chance that they could lose the Senate, and at that point, all discussions are moot.

If you negotiate a decently neutral candidate, you can prove to the electorate that you're there doing the will of the people, and see, there's still compromise, and depending on who it is, you may get to claim you made Obama blink.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:43 PM

632 posts, read 932,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Cry like little girls as some Pinko ultra left winger is rapidly confirmed. Everyone else will laugh, and laugh and laugh...

Honestly the smartest thing the Republicans could do is come up with a best option list and negotiate a decent compromise.

They aren't going to get another ultra conservative member in, as with the dumpster fire that is the Republican primary, the D's are feeling confident that they will hold the White House at the very least. If the Senate makes this ugly, there's a very real chance that they could lose the Senate, and at that point, all discussions are moot.

If you negotiate a decently neutral candidate, you can prove to the electorate that you're there doing the will of the people, and see, there's still compromise, and depending on who it is, you may get to claim you made Obama blink.

Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies