Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 04:40 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Rape and abortion are not comparable. No amount of trying to equalize it will make it so. Ask any rape victim. Rape is a crime. Abortion is legal. No woman should be forced to remain pregnant against her own wishes. A fetus doesn’t trump a woman’s choice.
Abortion is worse. It results in death. Many women survive rape.

Again, I will remind you that the woman already decided what to do with her body when she voluntarily participated in unprotected sex. 95% of all unintended pregnancies are due to the lack of use of any birth control whatsoever (54%) or the incorrect/inconsistent use of it (41%) such as forgetting to take one or more bc pills during a cycle, her partner using the wrong size condom, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 04:43 PM

101 posts, read 29,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What also results in death is the smacking of mosquitoes and fishing. Those aren't worse than rape...at least not to most people in our society, for, I'd argue, valid reasons.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:44 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:

Again, I will remind you that the woman already decided what to do with her body when she voluntarily participated in unprotected sex. 95% of all unintended pregnancies are due to the lack of use of any birth control whatsoever (54%) or the incorrect/inconsistent use of it (41%) such as forgetting to take one or more bc pills during a cycle, her partner using the wrong size condom, etc.
Saying yes to sex isn’t saying yes to pregnancy parenthood or adoption. Especially if you’re on bc even if you took it wrong or not.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintnon View Post
I can't prove that. I don't need to "prove that." I also, technically, can't prove that it will rain when there are thundering stormclouds all over the sky...but I can make some useful educated guesses...so no...my point is not "moot."
Unless you or anyone else has any way of identifying whether not killing an embryo/fetus would yield more harm than killing it, your premise is indeed moot.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The woman who is pregnant knows what kind of life. That’s why it’s her choice.
She made her choice when she voluntarily participated in unprotected sex knowing full well that a pregnancy might result. That was the choice she made.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:50 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Best pro-choice argument: Mind your own damn business.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:51 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Best pro-choice argument: Mind your own damn business.
Tell that to Generalissimo Fauci. I saw tweets today that he is still at it....advocating for more lockdowns....

Old 04-10-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Saying yes to sex isn’t saying yes to pregnancy parenthood or adoption. Especially if you’re on bc even if you took it wrong or not.
It is when you have unprotected sex, which is what has happened in 95% of all unintended pregnancies. One's own irresponsibility is a horrendous reason to deliberately kill another.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:55 PM

101 posts, read 29,549 times
Quote:
Unless you or anyone else has any way of identifying whether not killing an embryo/fetus would yield more harm than killing it, your premise is indeed moot.
I already explained how I have ways of identifying whether or not killing an embryo or fetus would yield more harm to it than killing it. I merely said I can't prove that...kind of...in the same sort of way that I can't prove that just because there are lots of booming storm clouds around that it won't rain. It's probably going to rain though.

Here was the exact post in which I explained that sort of issue to you earlier. I don't know why that was unsatisfactory:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63243341-post227.html

I can't prove that. However, I have no clue how an embryo could experience pain. Therefore, so far as I can tell, death can't harm it, because it doesn't comprehend death. Therefore death can only either be neutral to it, or beneficial.

Regarding fetuses (which are in later stages of development than embryos) that becomes trickier because once they gain the ability to experience pain there's an extremely complicated, difficult-to-think about system of weighing of pros and cons you could delve into. There are some circumstances in which I think I could arguably come close to proving that the ending of the life would benefit it. Sickle cell anemia causes intense pain over the course of one's life, for example, whereas abortion could, at most, cause a singular moment of pain. I would therefore argue that abortions due to sickle cell anemia basically benefit the aborted.

Before they can experience pain though things are quite easy. There is just, no reason not to get an abortion if the woman wants one, and if a person wants an abortion that will pretty much always be due to some sort of negative circumstance the child would have had to deal with if the child would have been born...so if a person doesn't want a kid and they get an early abortion, they're actually benefitting the would-be child more than giving birth to them and raising them themselves.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintnon View Post
What also results in death is the smacking of mosquitoes and fishing. Those aren't worse than rape...at least not to most people in our society, for, I'd argue, valid reasons.
How many humans die from smacking mosquitoes and fishing? 680,000 humans are killed by abortion each year. 98.3% of those are killed solely for the sake of convenience.

Abortion is 20 times more deadly than guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies