Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
For me, there is a very good chance that abortion does terminate a "life", i.e. the historical definition of killing some one. I am not all-knowing, so for me, knowing what a serious thing that would be if it IS killing some one, I err on the side of caution. Caution with a capital C.
Of course it is killing a life. Life begins at conception.

What is up for debate is at what point should that life be protected. I am for expanding choice I say up to the age of two a woman should have the option of a doctor assisted killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:29 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Pro Life - Killing is bad, killing tiny babies is the most heinous act in all of humanity's deprivation. The right to life exceeds the right of the mother to not be inconvenienced. Our next generation is killed before they start.

Pro Choice - It's inconvenient to carry a baby to term and it's expensive and takes a total commitment to raise a child. Freedom of choice.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:45 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
No human being has given birth to anything other than a human being.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:44 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Additionally being "Pro-choice" doesn't necessarily mean pro abortion.
And similarly the pro-lifers can't seem to wrap THEIR head around THAT.

Humor those of us who cannot wrap our heads around being pro-choice but anti abortion and explain how you can be pro-choice but anti abortion (opposite of pro is anti)? Seems to me the choice we're arguing about IS abortion.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Humor those of us who cannot wrap our heads around being pro-choice but anti abortion and explain how you can be pro-choice but anti abortion (opposite of pro is anti)? Seems to me the choice we're arguing about IS abortion.
Logical fallacy. The poster you responded to said it doesn't mean "pro-abortion." That doesn't automatically mean "anti-abortion."

Plenty of people who are pro-choice would never choose an abortion themselves, but believe in the right for women to have autonomy over their own bodies.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No human being has given birth to anything other than a human being.

The only difference between me now and me as a single cell zygote is I was given the opportunity to grow up .

One reason I'm anti abortion is the toll it takes on a woman's soul. I've told this story before. I have a friend who had an abortion at 18. One day she called me drunk on her ass and all she could say was "Today is the day the would be baby should have been born". Once she passed her due date she could no longer deny it was a baby she killed. She was tormented for years. Every time something went wrong with one of her children's health she was sure God was going to take the child because of the one she killed. She only found the strength to forgive herself when she stopped her daughter from making the same mistake. Her little grand daughter now stands in the place of the child she killed so long ago.

If any other medical procedure had as much regret attached to it as abortion you'd need to undergo psychological evaluation before being allowed to have the procedure yet we have abortion on demand. My friend thought, as an 18 year old, that legal = moral but soon realized that is not true. Sometimes we give the people what they want not because it's right but because they demand it.

I personally think that a species that values it's young based on whether or not they are convenient is in trouble. It's murder if you punch a pregnant woman in the stomach and she loses the baby but not if a doctor rips the baby limb from limb at the mother's request and tosses it in the trash.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Pro life: The child is a human being that owns itself, and killing it is a violation of its rights.

Pro choice: The mother is a human being that owns herself, whereas the child is not, so it's her decision.

It all hinges on whether the baby/fetus is a human being yet, which isn't easy to decide.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:00 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If any other medical procedure had as much regret attached to it as abortion you'd need to undergo psychological evaluation before being allowed to have the procedure yet we have abortion on demand. My friend thought, as an 18 year old, that legal = moral but soon realized that is not true. Sometimes we give the people what they want not because it's right but because they demand it.
Every study on the topic shows your premise to be entirely false. The overwhelming majority of women who have had an abortion do not regret it. There is no lasting "damage to their soul," unless they have "friends" who refer to them as murders or cultivate those thoughts. More than 95% of women do not regret their abortion and feel that it was the right decision.

While I'm sorry your friend had a tough go of it, I can't say that's true of any woman I know who has had an abortion. Not a one.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Logical fallacy. The poster you responded to said it doesn't mean "pro-abortion." That doesn't automatically mean "anti-abortion."

Plenty of people who are pro-choice would never choose an abortion themselves, but believe in the right for women to have autonomy over their own bodies.

We are not discussing the personal choice. There isn't much middle ground here. You either think a woman has the right to abortion on demand or you don't. Many of us who don't have an issue with the on demand part as we think there are circumstances where it's the lesser of the evils (if the mother's life is in danger for example).

I'm pro choice for guns even though I choose to not own one. I think someone who wants to own one has the right to own one. Using the gun analogy how does my decision to not own a gun change the fact I think others should have the right to own one? How does this make me any different than someone who owns a gun given that it is the support of society that allows them to own a gun? You're either pro abortion or you're anti (which includes pro with restrictions as the pro crowd wants no restrictions). Whether you'd personally have one is not the issue. Those that support abortion are condoning the abortions that do happen. They've given their blessing and in doing so take part in them themselves. The issue is what do you support for society? What should be legal? If you support abortion on demand with no restrictions you are pro abortion just as I am pro guns because I support the right to bear arms even though I never will have a gun in my house. My personal choice on the matter doesn't change my political stance. I'm anti abortion except in the case where the mother's life is in danger. For me to accept abortion it has to be a choice between two lives or a situation where neither will survive if the pregnancy continued. I think that abortion on demand devalues human life and too often scars a woman's soul. While I realize that many women can abort a baby and never think twice about it others struggle their entire lives for having made this decision.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-25-2016 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 06:23 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
Abortion is such a divisive issue. I'm curious what the strongest arguments are, for and against. Post away!

1. Abortion has reduced crime in American- those aborted are more likely to be the criminals of the future.

2. More abortions- less democrats. Those aborted have a much higher liklihood of being future democrats.

3. Fewer federal expenses to support lifelong federal dependents.

4. Less payments for WIC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies