Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,092,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The issue is the mental illness. And anyone can have a mental illness.

However, when a gun enthusiast develops mental illness he may have a proclivity to use the guns he loves. In other words the gun culture plays a role in the abnormal mind of people with mental illness. That is why I always pray a gun lover does not develop mental illness.

When was the last time you saw a non-gunlover go postal? When they go nuts they may do crazy things, but generally they do not have the firepower to do a lot a harm since they may not even know how to handle a pistol or a rifle.
You make an excellent point. Gun lovers will attack you for it, however. They'll say "Guns don't kill, people do. As if all these mass shootings would be carried out otherwise! I don't know what the answer is, but guns are WAY TOO available in our nation. Background checks don't seem to have had much effect in keeping the loonies from getting them. Being irresponsible with a gun has much more serious consequences than being irresponsible with other weapons that are available- look at all the children who get hold of guns and accidently shoot each other. I agree that mentally ill people seem to be attracted to guns, and they get them too.

Last edited by bryan85; 02-25-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You have said what I've been thinking for years. I just haven't been able to say it correctly. I just believe that gun owners tend to think a little differently- have a tendency to be more angry and insecure. I don't mean all of them, but I do believe there is a correlation.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,278,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK...Lets have a realty check. How are you going to achieve this? I mean really how? I'm only one guy and I have a rather complete collection of WW2 German small arms. The ammunition for these is readily available and I have a considerable amount on hand. Just because most of my collection is 75 yrs old doesn't mean it is any less lethal then when first built... How do plan on putting GPS on something like this? Think about it hard. How?
Existing guns would likely remain intact, but all new ones would.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I am not proposing to take your rights away. I am simply stating that some weapons are only useful for killing a lot of people in a very short amount of time. And those weapons should be banned. Otherwise, you can have a 1000 guns, no problems.
I support you. Unfortunately, you will get nowhere with gun enthusiasts. Why they want weapons of mass destruction available on the open market boggles the mind?! They are by and large the most close minded folks I have ever run across when it come to having a open discussion about ANY type of possible restrictions.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,720,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You have said what I've been thinking for years. I just haven't been able to say it correctly. I just believe that gun owners tend to think a little differently- have a tendency to be more angry and insecure. I don't mean all of them, but I do believe there is a correlation.
Converse:

I just believe non-gun owners tend to think a little differently---have a tendency to be more angry, insecure, judgemental, righteous without proof, emotion thought vs. legal thought, (I can go on). Oh, let me qualify, I don't mean ALL OF THEM, but I covered my a.. and there is a correlation.

So, blanket statement based on opinion, and offended at my equally silly blanket statement based on opinion. I could have used stronger terms that others may use.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I support you. Unfortunately, you will get nowhere with gun enthusiasts. Why they want weapons of mass destruction available on the open market boggles the mind?! They are by and large the most close minded folks I have ever run across when it come to having a open discussion about ANY type of possible restrictions.
Go back and read some of this thread... real questions, practicality and legality wise, were posted to have a discussion... vs labeling.

Now calling a gun a weapon of mass destruction is rather... I'll leave that at that. Actually, just the terminology being utilized would seem to indicate that a discussion can't be had but, I give the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No, your right to have guns will remain intact. However, YOU should not own a gun whose only purpose is to kill other humans.

Guns should be for hunting and target practice, nothing else.

This is the scary part, this sort of philosophy and gun obsession is a dangerous combination with the human condition. What happens if you become disappointed on life, depressed, unemployed, or if your woman leaves you? How will you cope when life handles you a bad turn? Will the gun obsession influence your behavior?
Why aren't gun owners satisfied with having guns just for hunting or target practice? Possibly they feel more "manly" when they have a gun? So many will say it's for self defense, but how many have actually fired their gun in order to defend themselves or their family? I submit that WAY MORE innocent people get killed by guns that were purchased legally and either children got ahold of them, or they were stolen and used to kill someone.

Last edited by bryan85; 02-25-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 AM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
Quote:
You make an excellent point. Gun lovers will attack you for it, however. They'll say "Guns don't kill, people do. As if all these mass shootings would be carried out otherwise! I don't know what the answer is, but guns are WAY TOO available in our nation. Background checks don't seem to have had much effect in keeping the loonies from getting them. Being irresponsible with a gun has much more serious consequences than being irresponsible with other weapons that are available- look at all the children who get hold of guns and accidently shoot each other. I agree that mentally ill people seek to be attracted to guns, and they get them too.
I would agree that background checks are completely worthless. Most felons are not stupid enough to even try yet 80,000 per year do try. Guess what? We've got a conviction running rate of 4 out of that number. FOUR people convicted out of the 80,000.

How about we start enforcing our current laws before any of the silly hubris being mentioned as ideology.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 AM

I rescind my request for non-appeals to emotion.lol

Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Forty five million gun owners in America didn't kill anyone yesterday.
Many ISIS members didn't kill anyone yesterday either- do you want to invite them into America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies