Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 12:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic1 View Post
And inasmuch as a VAST VAST majority do not, YOURS fears are needless.

I'm sorry you feel the need to live your life in fear.
Maybe he /she should buy a gun? In the meantime the can rely on the cops for protection...You know . Those other guys with guns.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Congratulations, you found an article on an anti-gun site that supports your premise. Too bad the facts don't favor your argument. Concealed carry permit holders - the ultimate "gun lovers" - commit less than 0.05% of firearms related crimes. In Florida, which has had concealed carry since 1987, you are twice as likely to be attacked by an alligator as you are to be attacked by a concealed carry holder.

You need to get some facts before continuing your persecution of gun owners. Try this site: Gun Facts | Gun Control Facts Concerning Concealed Carry

Note: The term "gun-lover" shows how little you know about guns, and also shows how immature you are about the subject. It's intentionally derogatory, and quite frankly makes most gun owners laugh at the people who use it - much like we would laugh at a 9 year old trying to discuss politics. If you want to be taken seriously, perhaps you should expand your vocabulary.
Why would you laugh at a 9 year old discussing politics? Sounds pretty mean to me. I think it shows a lot about the 9 year old to care and be interested in politics, and it shows a lot about you too.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Why would you laugh at a 9 year old discussing politics? Sounds pretty mean to me. I think it shows a lot about the 9 year old to care and be interested in politics, and it shows a lot about you too.
I have a 7 year old granddaughter with an IQ over 150. She already speaks two languages and I would not want to argue politics with her. She is asking for a pink 22 rifle for her 8th birthday.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Forty five million gun owners in America didn't kill anyone yesterday.
2 minutes spent on google destroys your argument.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:06 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Hopefully, you will never go postal. But, if you go insane you have the arsenal that is required to inflict a lot of damage. OTOH, if you go postal and do not have an arsenal it is no big deal to the public.
I have this book and many like it. Book, BLACK BOOK IMPROVISED MUNITIONS VOLUME 1

If you think a firearm is the only way to inflict mass casualties, you are wrong. Timothy McVeigh used ammonium nitrate and diesel for his carnage. I can purchase tannerite over the web or at my local sporting goods store.
https://youtu.be/edRbcTXAijY?t=2m10s

Then again, I don't plan on going postal.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:17 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You watch too many movies. The Mexicans and the Canadians are not invading and slavery ended years ago. The chances of you having to form a militia to fight the US Armed forces after Bernie Sanders becomes the Pres is NEAR 0%.

I think you simply like GUNS, it is that simple.
I'm armed for personal self protection and protection of my property. While the chances are low, there is precedent for large crowds of people burning down structures at random.

Mass violence doesn't have to come from a protest either, it can also comes from hunger. Any natural disaster can cut off a city from the outside world. The dry parts of New Orleans would have made "The Road Warrior" movie look peaceful. I live in the midwest version of tornado alley and south of the New Madrid fault line.

Yes, I like guns. The engineering that goes into them is amazing. John Moses Browning conceived and designed the pistol below with nothing but a pencil and paper in the early 1900's. This is just one of his many designs that are still used over 100 years later.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have a 7 year old granddaughter with an IQ over 150. She already speaks two languages and I would not want to argue politics with her. She is asking for a pink 22 rifle for her 8th birthday.
Wow! Don't tell us you're entertaining that notion seriously? Smart is great, but it doesn't preclude accidents or impulsive actions.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Wow! Don't tell us you're entertaining that notion seriously? Smart is great, but it doesn't preclude accidents or impulsive actions.
While I'm sure this may come as a huge surprise to you but there is millions of kids with their own guns and many of them have 24 hour access to them. The reason you don't see these kids in the news because of accidents or whatever is because they have responsible parents that have taught them how to handle a gun properly.

There is no age for when you are mature enough to have access to a weapon, that is to be determined by the parent.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster
Forty five million gun owners in America didn't kill anyone yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
2 minutes spent on google destroys your argument.
really? you have proved that 45 million gun owning americans killed someone yesterday? where is that on CNN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I have this book and many like it. Book, BLACK BOOK IMPROVISED MUNITIONS VOLUME 1

If you think a firearm is the only way to inflict mass casualties, you are wrong. Timothy McVeigh used ammonium nitrate and diesel for his carnage. I can purchase tannerite over the web or at my local sporting goods store.
https://youtu.be/edRbcTXAijY?t=2m10s

Then again, I don't plan on going postal.
absolutely right, and imagine adding a chemical or biological component to mcvieghs truck bomb, or even a nuclear component, and it doesnt even have to go nuclear, just be a dirty bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While I'm sure this may come as a huge surprise to you but there is millions of kids with their own guns and many of them have 24 hour access to them. The reason you don't see these kids in the news because of accidents or whatever is because they have responsible parents that have taught them how to handle a gun properly.

There is no age for when you are mature enough to have access to a weapon, that is to be determined by the parent.
the coalman is right. when i was 7 back in the 60s, i had access to my fathers guns, and i never took them out on an impulse. i have too much respect for gun safety, and even back then i recognized what a firearm is capable of. when children are taught respect for life, and respect for others, and taught proper gun safety, they tend not to kill others.

when i was a child i had a drug problem, i was drug to school, drug to church, drug to the store, drug to family outings, etc. these days kids still have drug problems, these days though its marijuana, cocaine, heroine, etc. kids also live in a much more permissive society, and they play violent video games, back when i was growing up we had no video games, we had pinball instead.

we also knew that cartoon violence was pure fantasy, because we knew instinctively that dropping piano on someones head would indeed kill them, not just transform them into a pancake that could pop back to what it was by blowing into its thumb.

you want to end gun violence? lets make society what it was in the 50s when family was important, when there was not as much permissiveness in society, when life was not a cheap as it is today. back then there was no abortion on demand, but then there was a low teen pregnancy problem as well. back then drugs were available, but most people had too much respect for life to take such things.

and we dont have to give up the gains we have made in civil rights, either.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
I was rabbit hunting by myself at age 8. Most of the kids I went to elementary school with did. If I had done anything stupid with a gun, my dad would have, well, made sure I didn't do it twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies