Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,265,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Got a problem with it? All you gotta do is repeal the 2nd Amendment and we can "modernize" our right to bear arms or lack thereof. If you can't repeal the 2nd Amendment, then you don't to get to rewrite the rules to suit your personal opinions.
And that is the focal point of all the cyber-ink spilled on this, and many other threads. The driving force behind the vast majority of human progress (with a couple of regrettable exceptions like slavery and the displacement of Native peoples) was the desire for a better life by people who either couldn't get it in class-conscious Europe, or were encouraged to leave. Left to their own resources in a potentially-hostile environment, the possession of a weapon, for hunting as well as defense, was an essential.

The principal component of the outcry against gun ownership arises from people who have spent the majority of their lives in our over-sanitized cities, and their even-more-sheltered suburbs, and apparently have far less distrust of over-centralized Federal power (or quite possibly, see themselves as beneficiaries wielding more of that power, than as having anything to lose). I don't want to be one of the "guinea pigs" in a "societal experiment", thanks!

Gun ownership -- the right of a responsible citizen to own one (if (s)he desires, and personally, I don't) vs the desires of another group to legislate "security" (and I have absolutely NO faith in that idea) -- is the single most prominent issue within the nation's current polarization; the "test case' that one day might lead to a Czech-Slovak or Norse-Swedish inspired "friendly parting". I hope it never comes to something like that, but if so, I have no doubt whatsoever of which half has the better answer; of which will prosper and which will stagnate.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-24-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,821,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Like gun lovers comparing the killing ability of guns toi a Chevy or a Ford?
Is equating the ownership of a weapon to "love" a mental illness? I find that people who use words like love, or "ammosexual" (seen posted here on C-D) or other sexual references to those who own guns to have some kind of internal fixation with either the weapons themselves, which seem to represent something phallic to those using the sexually charged terms or such people have an unnatural fear/attraction/obsession with owners of guns.

I also find it interesting that most of those people who sexualize guns or gun owners, always start with the assumption that gun owners are men.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "Me thinks thou doth protest too much!"

Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,891,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We all might be safe with the Pink BB gun.......after all, it is all about women sticking together for any cause.

Liberals made Barbie any size, took away GI Joe and Ken.....well, we all know what happened to Ken.
Everyone knows that if you get a BB gun you will put your eye out.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Like a democrat in the White House?
We all need to take a minute and bathe in the wisdom and majesty of this response.

You sir, have won the internets today!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Most of these killers had an arsenal at home. MOst gun lovers tend to have many guns and buy ammunition in large quantities.
You sure seem to think you know a lot about something you obviously know nothing about. I think that anyone who equates gun ownership to "gun loving" should be institutionalized for a 3 day observation period every 3 months.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,722,391 times
Quote:
The issue is the mental illness. And anyone can have a mental illness.

However, when a gun enthusiast develops mental illness he may have a proclivity to use the guns he loves. In other words the gun culture plays a role in the abnormal mind of people with mental illness. That is why I always pray a gun lover does not develop mental illness.

When was the last time you saw a non-gunlover go postal? When they go nuts they may do crazy things, but generally they do not have the firepower to do a lot a harm since they may not even know how to handle a pistol or a rifle.
Julian, Julian....

I haven't read through the whole thread so, if this has been asked, I apologize.

what, pray tell, is a 'gun-lover'? Is that like someone who has 'relations' with said gun? Is it someone who takes gun memes? Is it someone who divorces their significant other because of the other 'lover'... said gun?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
If you only like to hunt and do target practice you do not need a gun designed for the military or the police force.
WTH does that even mean?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We all might be safe with the Pink BB gun.......after all, it is all about women sticking together for any cause.

Liberals made Barbie any size, took away GI Joe and Ken.....well, we all know what happened to Ken.

I have a pink 9mm Diamondback and a PPQ 9mm with a pink handle. Why you gotta hate on the pink??

I want to paint my Mossberg 500 pink, too. Hubby says no.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I have a pink 9mm Diamondback and a PPQ 9mm with a pink handle. Why you gotta hate on the pink??

I want to paint my Mossberg 500 pink, too. Hubby says no.
I have a HUGE problem with your pink 9... it's not a .45 Unless of course you keep critical defense rounds loaded in said pink 9mm in which case I gotta give you a thumbs up

Old 02-24-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

During the entire history of this nation, the most cutting edge of weapons have been owned by private citizens. Most of the rifles and canons used in the Revolutionary War and even the War of 1812 were owned by private citizens. We didn't have a navy so George Washington bought one himself. Warships, rifles and cannons were cutting edge military technology back then. At what point did cutting edge military tech become illegal and unethical? Yes that probably means that owning an artillery piece, a tank, an M-16, an AR-15, an AA-12, a .50 cal, a fighter jet or a battleship should all be acceptable. That's what the 2nd Amendment says and that's what the founding fathers intended.
When I was young and 'knew' everything, I didn't have an issue if municipalities put a restriction, background checks on assault rifles. I was young and idealistic. I was also in the AF.

Then I actually read about the ballistic physics of a 16 inch battleship gun and how the rifling and powder were the same thing as a modern, full jacket hunting rifle, only bigger. Changed my tune... and my wanting to own a 16 inch battleship turret (and I'm not joking. I'd really like to own one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies