Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No I don't think you should ask Beyonce. I personally don't think any person should speak for the entire black race. I've always told black people that we need to get away from "black leadership" altogether. The whole concept of a black leader is just antiquated. We need to start branching out and embracing individualism more.
Well you have a better outlook than many and with your attitude you will go far!

Why is it no one seems to be able to give us this............................................I have a feeling "racist" is the "new war on women" theme for the left to get out the votes!

Why do you feel Americans are racist against blacks? Examples would greatly help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Well you have a better outlook than many and with your attitude you will go far!

Why is it no one seems to be able to give us this............................................I have a feeling "racist" is the "new war on women" theme for the left to get out the votes!

Why do you feel Americans are racist against blacks? Examples would greatly help.

Because America loves to highlight black issues. When something is a black issue, no one seems to care. But when it impacts white people, then and only then do people care. We can see this with gun control. Black kids are murdered daily by guns, and at schools. No one even seems to care. Never makes it to national news. But the minute a white kid in a white neighborhood does it, then it's a national issue. The president comes out and speak on it.

War on Drugs. No one cared about drugs in the 60s and 70s because only black people did drugs. That was the perspective. But when white kids started to get strung out on drugs. Then it was an issue that needed to be addressed.

So yes, America is insanely biased against blacks. And I'm not a liberal, I am a Libertarian saying this. The last thing I want to believe in is victim mentalities. But it's out there. People always want to talk about blacks commiting crimes, but don't want to talk about how the crime rate has dropped every year since 1994. People want to talk about blacks being on welfare. But don't want to talk about blacks on welfare rates declining. People want to highlight black poverty, but never want to talk about how fast the black middle class and upper classes have been growing. No one talks about the positive black people do every day. We just talk about the negative.

So yeah, I do think America has an ax to grind with blacks. The reason why? Well the government. Someone has to be the loser and someone has to be the winner. That is how the government turns the population against each other.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Separating crime by race/ethnicity IS NOT about making one group of people feel superior compared to another group of people. Its about accurately showing where the crime problems are in this country so that you can put your resources to where its needed most in order to deal with the issue. You can deny all you want that black violence and crime against other blacks as well as non-blacks is MUCH HIGHER than non-black violence and crime against other non-blacks as well as blacks is relatively low, but the statistics show otherwise.
"Accurate" statistics are not actually kept in this country. All statistical information is flawed and there have been many police departments that have admitted that they have fudged arrest statistics and all sorts of crime data provided to the FBI, which is the basis of most posters, probably yours as well, concept of crime in America.

I have not denied that in America there is an issue with violence in comparison to other "first world" countries. But I do deny that violent is inherent to black Americans only. I also deny that there is a such thing as "black on black crime." Crime is just crime. Whites commit crime against each other just as much as blacks do to each other. Asians commmit crime as well primarily to Asians. Natives commit crime primarily upon other natives. Those statistics have more to do with where people live and who they live around versus trying to insinuate that black people are inherently more violent than others. We are not.

Also on the subject of "accurate statistics" most Americans are well aware of our country's oppressive past in regards to black Americans in particular. There was a lot of mob violence and murder perpetuated by whites against black people (and hispanics and Asians and Native Americans and even other ethnic Europeans who were not considered "white" at the time like the Italians) yet statistics never reflected this mob violence committed by whites and prior to the 1970s, it was rare in many parts of the country for a white person to ever be convicted of a violent crime against a black person.

Quote:
Why can't people like you just admit that blacks have a violence and crime issue and DEAL WITH IT HEAD ON instead of making excuses for it or pretending the issue is blown way out of proportion?
I have not made any excuses. I am not violent and my family is not and my neighborhood is not. Ironically the "accurate statistics" you cite show that crime has vastly decreased in black neighborhoods compared to what it was in the 1960s and 1970s when crime was at its highest in the country.

I look at things from a rational, historical perspective and am not biased by an overtly race focused media like many people are. If you step back and take a look at even the arrest data and clearances over the span of 50 years, you would see that black people are not inherently violent and that the media does indeed blow things "out of proportion" in order to make it seem like black people are overtly violent, savage persons, same way that we have always been portrayed in this country, even when our ancestors were enslaved and tortured and raped by whites blacks were seen as much more violent and criminally minded than white people. It is an American cultural characteristic to internally criminalize black people. Due to being black and not a criminal, I just don't buy into historical lies and current sensationalized version of the black crime.

Quote:
Fine let's just say that you're completely right and the justice system is blatantly racist towards blacks. The question is what does that have anything to do with the fact that too many blacks have short tempers and get angry so very easily and will become violent at the drop of the hat? What does a biased justice system have to do with all the crime and violence blacks commit on a daily basis around the country?
Due to the system being biased against black people, black people will always be much moreso likely to be heavily investigated and harrassed by law enforcement. Whenever you look into someone often and deep enough, you can find a crime was committed. As stated in another post, white people are actually much more likely to be hardcore drug abusers, drink while intoxicated, and they are equal in use to marijuana to black people, yet blacks are stopped more for "suspicion" versus whites in this country. This is what I am speaking of. The criminal justice system automatically assumes that a black person is more criminally prone than a white one, regardless of other "accurate statistics" regarding the criminal behavior of whites and blacks and other ethnicities.

Quote:
The point is its fine that blacks want the justice system and police to treat them better and more fairly, BUT when will blacks clean up their own act and raise their kids right and keep them out of trouble so that they won't have to face the justice system in the first place? If blacks want people and institutions to change for them, why can't blacks change themselves to become better people for not only their own good, but also the good of all the non-black people that have to live with them?
Black people do "raise their kids right." A majority of black children do not commit crimes at all. Black children today now graduate from high school over 70% of the time when it was only about 60% only a decade ago. Black females are equal to whites in graduation rates and are much more likely to attend college than other female demographics and to finish an educational program. Less than 1% of the black population is in jail/prison in any given year. More black males actually do go to college than prison every year. Over 3 million black youths enter college every year.

As stated above, too often people pay attention to sensationalized media stories. You seem to be one of those people or you just like to overly generalize a population of 40 million people. A majority of black people are middle class. A majority of black people do not live in the inner city and black people are much more likely to live in a more integrated, diverse neighborhood versus other ethnic demographics.

That said, we have nothing to prove to whites or to America in general. We have a wonderful culture and history in this country. As a black woman, I consider this country my homeland. My ancestors have been here longer than most white American's ancestors and we have always lived around our fellow Americans both black and non-black with not too many issues.

Quote:
To me it ALWAYS seems like blacks want US to reach out and change and accomodate them, but when will blacks REACH BACK and change and accomodate US?
Why do you need to be accommodated? I don't understand that question. Also, black people also don't need to be accommodated, the only thing that black Americans have advocated for in the past 50 odd years is equal access, basically to be treated the same way that you are as a white person. That is not an accommodation, equality is actually the basis of what constitutes American values. Do you not want black Americans to be viewed as your equal and treated as such? If not, then that is your problem.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So what is your definition of "black culture'?
I think he means 'hood rats selling dope, gang banging and killing each other over every little diss in the trashier sections of every major city in America. It really comes as no surprise to anyone that these types often end up on the wrong side of a police shooting.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I think he means 'hood rats selling dope, gang banging and killing each other over every little diss in the trashier sections of every major city in America. It really comes as no surprise to anyone that these types often end up on the wrong side of a police shooting.

How is that a characteristic of black culture. When it is practiced by less than 5% of the population.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Because white people put him there. They won't admit it openly but white people just love Sharpton as a scapegoat to foster their racism.
Everyone just ignores all the racist black people and there are a lot of them.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Also, black people also don't need to be accommodated, the only thing that black Americans have advocated for in the past 50 odd years is equal access, basically to be treated the same way that you are as a white person. That is not an accommodation, equality is actually the basis of what constitutes American values. Do you not want black Americans to be viewed as your equal and treated as such? If not, then that is your problem.
This just isn't true.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
This just isn't true.
What isn't true about it?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How is that a characteristic of black culture. When it is practiced by less than 5% of the population.
Also when the majority of black people do not live in the "trashier sections" of "every major city."

FYI Annuvin, black Americans primarily live in the suburbs. The behavior of a minority of black people in the inner city does not represent "black culture."

FWIW below are characteristics of "black culture" in regards to having a:

Focus on spirituality
Commitment to education as a tool for economic and social uplift
Focus on family
Focus on community
Creativity in various aspects of life
Willingness to speak up in the face of adversity
Strength and courage in the face of that adversity
Determination to move forward and strive for great things

Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So what is your definition of "black culture'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If you see black people doing something that white people wouldn`t do, that is black culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed. Answering that question could be a healthy start in having an honest discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Also when the majority of black people do not live in the "trashier sections" of "every major city."

FYI Annuvin, black Americans primarily live in the suburbs. The behavior of a minority of black people in the inner city does not represent "black culture."

FWIW below are characteristics of "black culture" in regards to having a:

Focus on spirituality
Commitment to education as a tool for economic and social uplift
Focus on family
Focus on community
Creativity in various aspects of life
Willingness to speak up in the face of adversity
Strength and courage in the face of that adversity
Determination to move forward and strive for great things
Granted, this thread is supposed to be about answering the question, "Are We In Denial About Racism?"

Even so, personally, I don't think it's such a bad idea to discuss characteristics of an (inclusive) American culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies