Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times

Advertisements

to interpret the Constitution, the laws that it's supposed to follow?

So if I decide to steal something, I can't say the laws against theft are living, breathing documents that don't mean what they meant when the legislatures wrote them? That argument doesn't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post

So if I decide to steal something, I can't say the laws against theft are living, breathing documents that don't mean what they meant when the legislatures wrote them? That argument doesn't work?

I'm going to take a great leap of faith here, and assume you are asking a serious question rather than trying to troll.

You don't get arrested for breaking the Constitution. You get arrested for breaking the *law*. The arresting authority will not accept your contention that a particular law is unconstitutional. To get a law declared unconstitutional requires that you be convicted of breaking it, and that you successfully appeal your conviction on constitutional grounds.

In the case of theft - don't hold your breath.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:20 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Because they aren't going to punish themselves. It's like writing on a piece of paper that it's wrong for an average citizen to steal, but then letting the thieves be the ultimate decider of their guilt.

If there's a deterrent, regardless of what the law or constitution says, people will respond to that. They don't do it just because it's written on paper. There's nobody watching the watchmen to any significant degree. The founders said it needed to be the citizens, but anyone who would actually do anything would be labeled a traitor, terrorist, anti-American extremist.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

as noted you dont get arrested for violating the constitution.

when a law is crafted, passed by the legislature, and signed by the president or governor, the law is considered constitutional until such time as it is challenged in court, and the challenge to the law is upheld.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

Because we don't live in a chaotic society with everybody writing their own rules.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Only the judicial branch has appointments, everyone else in all other branches of the government serve at the pleasure of the citizens of the United States. If someone who represents you is not doing a good job, you fire them by voting for someone else. If you feel that's not working out, run yourself. If only half the populace votes, that's society's problem. If someone wins popular election and you personally don't agree with them, that's your problem.
That's the way it was set up, that's the way it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies