Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
North:

Silicon Valley: Technology capital OF THE WORLD. Driverless cars, your smart phone, biometrics, bio-tech, robotics, human-computer interaction, radical life extension, futurism

San Francisco: hippie counter-culture, sexual revolution, anti-war movement, gay rights, women's rights

LA: everything on your TV and in your theater

NY: financial center of the World; fashion capital; all of your media

Boston: International center of higher education: Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brandeis, etc.; bio-technology

Minneapolis: medical manufacturing; highest life expectancy in the U.S.

Seattle/Portland/Madison/Chicago/etc.
Maybe you need to take a geography class. Half of your list is in the west, not the north.

And let's add these hellholes to your wonderful north list;

Detroit
Newark
Baltimore
Flint
St Louis

etc.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
The Southern USA is dysfunctional how exactly? Certainly no problems for anyone who wants to start a business, or someone who doesn't care to leech off welfare. And I can't help but notice a lot of big cities. I'll bet a lot of people in the rural areas of those states wouldn't mind those overpriced Democrat cities being hacked off. Then we'd have more red states.
It's the bigots from the north, as usual.

Makes me wonder why all those people from the north are moving down south to the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc...

Far from divorcing themselves from the south, many in the north are fleeing like liberal locusts, making a life for themselves in the south. They're bringing the same destructive liberal politics with them to the south, that made them flee from the north in the first place.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Because the South is such a terrible mess, Southern cities are cheaper to live in.
The population in the US is choosing to move to the Red South because it "is such a terrible mess".

A perfect example of (the lack of) progressive logic.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; YOU need to wake up. This is 2016, NOT 1861.

The South is getting more and more industry, the North just keeps LOSING that kind of stuff. If you don't believe me; look at Detroit, Gary, parts of Ohio and so on.

Too; the slave owners in most "liberal" cities would have to pay real wages for Americans to live there instead of having their "slaves" AKA illegal aliens to do the real work.
They're getting more industry because they're indirectly using federal money to give tax breaks to corporations, businesses are very loosely regulated in terms of environmental standards and worker rights, and because the education systems down here are so abysmally poor (in some cases, on a par with 3rd world nations), that businesses can pay people pennies to do the work and they're grateful to get that much.

Yeah, a true paradise.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
oh yay. more posts dividing our already divided nation

Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Evidence suggests"

You can "suggest" anythig you want and it WON'T back up your claim.

"
Retirees move for the weather." Yes it is 1 factor but, the BIGGER factor is they CANNOT AFFORD to stay in the North states because of the COL contributed mostly by TAXES.

The great liberal politicians have taxed them out.I think I know MORE about this then you do. I LIVE in one of those "terrible' Southern sates and we are populated by about 80% of Northerners who have moved here.

Have you EVER really talked to anyone who has moved South and been told by them, not some "suggestion", why they are moving here? I doubt it.
Defensive much? Nowhere did I call the South terrible being that I'm actually a southerner myself.
Housing costs is THE driver for families moving south and taxes are a part of that equation. And young people actually aren't flocking to the south.

Anyway, the premise of this thread is silly.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The population in the US is choosing to move to the Red South because it "is such a terrible mess".

A perfect example of (the lack of) progressive logic.
It's that or starve. You said yourself they still vote the way they did up north, so by your own admission they haven't changed their values or their belief systems. Because of the economy, a Third World country is the only place they can afford to live, and the South is the only one they don't have to get to on a boat.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Because the South is such a terrible mess, Southern cities are cheaper to live in. Taxes are low because nobody could afford to pay them anyway, and with half the country still suffering from Bush's attempt to hurl everyone but his wealthy friends headfirst back into the Great Depression, many people can't afford to live in First World cities in the part of the country that actually functions.
First world cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Newark, Camden, Cleveland, Gary, etc., etc., as opposed to third world hell holes like Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, etc. Is this guy serious or did he just forget to add the little sarcasm face?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Come to Kentucky and spend a day as my guest. I'll take you for a drive through Eastern Kentucky, the most impoverished and poorly educated region in the country. A guy who's as nice as you seem to be will cry all the way back to the airport. At the very least, you will be deeply shocked.
I too am in Kentucky. What part of the state are you located in?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Why is it that some people who claim to hate the south so much talk so much about the South?? Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies