Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times

Advertisements

Report: Obama Considering Nominating GOP Governor Brian Sandoval for Supreme Court | Mediaite

Smart idea really. It will make it more difficult for the party to hold the line and not consider him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Now that is interesting he was on very few lists, but it doesn't matter they already said they will not consider any nominee until next year.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Report: Obama Considering Nominating GOP Governor Brian Sandoval for Supreme Court | Mediaite

Smart idea really. It will make it more difficult for the party to hold the line and not consider him.
As I hold both parties in utter contempt, I don't know if I have a dog in this fight -- but as I've said before, if Obama sends them a Conservative nomination the Senate will approve it.

Should be interesting to see whether or not he goes through with it. Where does the guy stand on SCOTUS specific issues?

Edit: "Sandoval, a former federal district judge and attorney general, is pro-choice and has said he believes gay marriage is a settled issue, but is conservative on issues such as gun rights and labor unions."

Pro-choice and pro-gay might lead to the Senate saying no. We'll see how it goes but it wouldn't be too surprising. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
As I hold both parties in utter contempt, I don't know if I have a dog in this fight -- but as I've said before, if Obama sends them a Conservative nomination the Senate will approve it.

Should be interesting to see whether or not he goes through with it. Where does the guy stand on SCOTUS specific issues?
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Both parties are just two sides of the same corrupt, crony capitalist, faux public servant coin.

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what you can squeeze from your country.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Abortion shouldn't even be a factor. I think the majority of republicans really don't have a problem as it is now. It's your far right people that do. catholics and the like. And most of them have a problem with it only until their 13 year old daughter gets pregnant. It shouldn't be harder, it shouldn't easier than it is right now and alot of it should be left to the states, so far as parental notification and the like.

Gay marriage.. Few people really have a problem with it, I think. I don't even think Scalia really had a problem. He felt more that it was a states rights issue.. Which.. Frankly, I think FAR more things should be. The fights there will be "Can a minister refuse to marry a gay couple if he performs services for straight couples" and.. The whole cake fiasco.

I will say.. Neat gambit on his part. If the senate refuses to hold hearings.. It plays right into his hand. If they do hold hearings, it plays right into his hand. That nomination would pretty much be a no-lose proposition for him.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Abortion shouldn't even be a factor. I think the majority of republicans really don't have a problem as it is now. It's your far right people that do. catholics and the like. And most of them have a problem with it only until their 13 year old daughter gets pregnant. It shouldn't be harder, it shouldn't easier than it is right now and alot of it should be left to the states, so far as parental notification and the like.

Gay marriage.. Few people really have a problem with it, I think. I don't even think Scalia really had a problem. He felt more that it was a states rights issue.. Which.. Frankly, I think FAR more things should be. The fights there will be "Can a minister refuse to marry a gay couple if he performs services for straight couples" and.. The whole cake fiasco.

I will say.. Neat gambit on his part. If the senate refuses to hold hearings.. It plays right into his hand. If they do hold hearings, it plays right into his hand. That nomination would pretty much be a no-lose proposition for him.
Agreed, it's a clever move.

I do disagree on abortion and gay-marriage. I think that a strong majority of Republicans still strongly oppose both. Odds are pretty strong that those two things together make it a dealbreaker, but I agree that the Senate should at least look at the guy.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb Obama considering Republican Governor for SCOTUS

Quote:

It will be very entertaining to see the Pubs eat one of their own in their psychotic obstructionism. Then Hillary will be free to appoint a lib.

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
From the article...

Democratic Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid reportedly met with Sandoval Monday to discuss the potential nomination. “A person familiar with the conversation said that while Sandoval told Reid he had not made a final decision on whether he would accept a Supreme Court nomination, he would allow the vetting process to move forward. Another person in Nevada familiar with the process confirmed that the process is underway.”

Harry Reid involved... ? Definitely skeptical. Would have to review this guys track record.

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Agreed, it's a clever move.

I do disagree on abortion and gay-marriage. I think that a strong majority of Republicans still strongly oppose both. Odds are pretty strong that those two things together make it a dealbreaker, but I agree that the Senate should at least look at the guy.
I wouldn't care if a president nominated the reincarnation of Hitler. He'd deserve consideration. Not much, but he should get a hearing.

Jobs are setup.. The president nominates, congress confirms or rejects.

Neither of those issues matters to me.. And, while I'm not someone who strictly votes republican.. I've voted that way more often than not. I voted for Clinton second term and Fritz Hollings several times for senate.

I'm planning on voting for Sanders on Saturday.. I sat out the Republican primary last Saturday because I didn't want to vote for any of them. I won't vote for him because I want him to be president.. But, he's the lesser of all evils. It's more an anti-Clinton vote. I don't like anyone on the Republican side, I don't like Hillary at all..

Trump vs Hillary means a vote for the Libertarian candidate for me.

Trump vs Sanders.. PROBABLY third party, but.. I'd have to think about it more. While Sanders has a whole slew of ideas that I don't agree with.. He wouldn't be able to push any of them through, so.. He might get some good done because after swatting away all the crazy ideas he takes to congress, they might let some moderate ones through.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,629 times
Quote:

Classic bait and switch. Can't trust Obama as far as you can throw him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies