Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

Economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis recently took a look at the interplay between inflation expectations and oil prices, and built a model around that. What they found is that if the market’s current inflation expectations are correct, then oil prices are likely to fall all the way to $0 per barrel by mid-2019.

Here's why oil prices could be headed to $0

Oil prices are reflective of the economic condition of the world. While low prices may be good from the consumer aspect, the consequences are tens of thousands of lost jobs, trade dropping off a cliff, and the risk that some of the biggest players could go bankrupt.

I have a feeling some leaders will decide a full blown world war will be the solution. I hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
What they found is that if the market’s current inflation expectations are correct, then oil prices are likely to fall all the way to $0 per barrel by mid-2019.
From your link:
Quote:
To be clear, the St. Louis Fed economists are not predicting that oil will be free in three years.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Oil prices will continue to fall as long as Saudi has money in the bank.
Your best bet is to watch Saudi's bank account for oil price predictions.

And according to some that do it's going to be a while before prices come up as Saudi has a mountain of cash.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:25 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And according to some that do it's going to be a while before prices come up as Saudi has a mountain of cash.
Sauds have by most estimates about 5 years of reserves so yeah....this isn't going to last long enough to see that.

Biggest cash issue for Saudi Arabia goes beyond oil

Eventually, when the oil runs out and they can no longer pay off their religiously militant citizenry....the ruling family will flee to the US or Britain and the country will revert to what it was 100 years ago but that's beyond most of our lifetimes.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Actually, there are economists who are saying the Saudi's are in a bit of predicament. They actually pay their people to maintain a content society. The low oil prices have forced them to drain their "mountain" of cash.

Something I found after doing a little more research. Though the US uses the most oil as a whole, we are well down the list at 15th per capita. Canada, Norway and Switzerland use more oil per person than we do. I'd say this is only going to continue as we move from a manufacturing to a technology based economy.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:27 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I have a feeling some leaders will decide a full blown world war will be the solution. I hope I'm wrong.
I have a feeling you could read the side of a box of cheerios and fear global armagedon.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a feeling you could read the side of a box of cheerios and fear global armagedon.
You certainly fail to comprehend an entire post. I have a feeling you believe yourself witty. Maybe your true calling is stand up comedy.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
They're just looking at a model that would assume that nothing else changes in between now and 2019 and oil drops out the same rate. There's already moves by the Saudis and OPEC and Russia to freeze oil production levels so that prices don't fall even drastically lower. As it is, they're going to cut production at some point because they're not all going to commit economic suicide--it's a game of chicken.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:

Well, Saudi's in recent years have thrown a whole lot of money and budget to social programs to avoid an Arab Spring type situation in their country..

So, while in general I agree with you,they have a whole lot of cash.. I don't think it lasts as long as some people think it might.

It'll last a whole lot longer than somewhere like Venezuela who raised the price of gas to a nickle a gallon or something like that and the population seems ready to revolt over it.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Not long ago, "the models" predicted a crude oil barrel at $1000. Economists, commentators, business people explained it : oil is a finite resource. The demand will only grow (perhaps exponentially). China and India manufacturing are growing all the time.
Q: Where are these "China's demand growing all the time" experts and their sophisticated models now? Yes, I know - they are forecasting oil prices going to the ground...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies