Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 03:02 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What's it to you? If they're not talking to you, why is it any of your business what language they're conversing in?

Why should people have conversations with their friends/family/whatever in English when they're more comfortable in their native language? As long as they understand English well enough to function in society it's really nobody's business what language(s) they use.

Might I suggest getting headphones if it offends you so much.

It's being rude because many speak it so loud that it is irritating and you can't escape it under many circumstances. It is my business when it takes away from the enjoyment of a meal, for example. It's rude when English speakers do it also. Why not speak English is public? The more you speak it the more comfortable you will be in doing so. Now there's a novel idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
Americans are known to go to a foreign country and start speaking English . . . . and get pissed if the people don't speak it.

Every store owner has First Amendment rights to put signs and ads in whatever language they darn please.

Mick

Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Avoid Arizona and New Mexico. You're in danger of hearing a Native American (who looks like he could be one of the illegals that upset you so much) speaking Navajo and it could raise your blood pressure 30 points.

They aren't going to start speaking English because you have decided everyone should speak English. Neither are the Amish.
Uh; back when Arizona WAS putting the fork to illegal aliens before Obama shot off his mouth a few years back, I could tell real fast who were "brown" illegal alien Hispanics and who were American Indians. The AI's spoke proper English.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I'm surprised that people still think that we live in a free country.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
it kinda infuarates me seeing government city advertisement in spanish, saying free Pre-K in NYC. but i cant read it. I would like to know what it says there.
and in China town, all stores are in chinese. it really doesn't feel make me feel welcome in my own country.
and US doesn't have a official languages yet how come?
Our senators voted down the law proposed to make English our official language.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:01 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Americans are known to go to a foreign country and start speaking English . . . . and get pissed if the people don't speak it.

Every store owner has First Amendment rights to put signs and ads in whatever language they darn please.

Mick
Tell me where one proprietor done that?? who has said "ONLY English" please? show me? This is their establishment so you are in their 4 walls or territory- who? who here has gone to the MGR and said "I only want to hear quiet English while I eat my dinner"?

Old 02-28-2016, 05:58 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you go into PA and the Amish still using their language - the polish still do their thing- I don't get it-- all have made this country what it is!
Polish was actually the first foreign language State Farm Insurance company began servicing in-language, years before it began servicing in Spanish or any other language.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 PM

There is no other foreign language so widely spoken as Spanish in this country. Polish nor German (which I think is what the Amish speak) are only confined to small areas. They are not all over the country. As I said, this is directly due to too much legal and illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. What happened to diversity in our immigration numbers so that "immigrants" would assimilate?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's being rude because many speak it so loud that it is irritating and you can't escape it under many circumstances. It is my business when it takes away from the enjoyment of a meal, for example. It's rude when English speakers do it also. Why not speak English is public? The more you speak it the more comfortable you will be in doing so. Now there's a novel idea.
This sounds entirely like a you problem.

I'm not trying to listen in on other tables, so it really makes no difference to me if they're speaking Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Malayalam.

Ridiculously loud customers are annoying because they're ridiculously loud, not because they happen to be speaking something you don't understand. Heck, if you sat next to me and listened in on my conversations over lunch you probably wouldn't understand it either, even though it's English.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This sounds entirely like a you problem.

I'm not trying to listen in on other tables, so it really makes no difference to me if they're speaking Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Malayalam.

Ridiculously loud customers are annoying because they're ridiculously loud, not because they happen to be speaking something you don't understand. Heck, if you sat next to me and listened in on my conversations over lunch you probably wouldn't understand it either, even though it's English.

Who's "trying" to listen? I don't even know what the hell they are saying nor am I interested. What part of talking loudly didn't you get? I also said it was annoying no matter what language it is when you are trying to shop or enjoy a meal out. I understand English perfectly or I wouldn't be able to respond to your post so keep your snide remarks to yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies