Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. That's not what I was saying.

My point is that letting people speak what ever language they want naturally leads to foreign languages dying out with the generations. Trying to regulate language is completely unnecessary and might actually have the opposite affect.

There is absolutely no threat to the English language today. It is the only functional language in the u.s and always will be, irrespective of how many immigrants come.

Here's where you go wrong. As long as Hispanics are being favored by far in our legal immigration quotas, their numerous family reunifications on our soil, uncontrolled illegal immigration from their group and the large number of babies they all producing they will become the majority in this country in the not too distant future. You can't tell me that when a non-native English speaking group outnumbers the native English speakers that this won't be reflected by it becoming the dominant language in this country. I wasn't born yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:01 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's where you go wrong. As long as Hispanics are being favored by far in our legal immigration quotas, their numerous family reunifications on our soil, uncontrolled illegal immigration from their group and the large number of babies they all producing they will become the majority in this country in the not too distant future.
Their babies will speak English. The more children they have, the more english speakers there will be.

Even if there was some kind of conspiracy to replace english, they wouldn't be able to achieve that because hispanics cannot get their children and grandchildren to speak spanish. It's not happening. Native born Americans are always english dominant irrespective of their origins.

Quote:
You can't tell me that when a non-native English speaking group outnumbers the native English speakers that this won't be reflected by it becoming the dominant language in this country.
That already happened hundreds of years ago. How many Americans are of English ancestry? A minority. Hell, im not. I speak english.
There are actually more German americans and scandanavians than there are english americans. Yet they all speak english.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Their babies will speak English. The more children they have, the more english speakers there will be.

Even if there was some kind of conspiracy to replace english, they wouldn't be able to achieve that because hispanics cannot get their children and grandchildren to speak spanish. It's not happening. Native born Americans are always english dominant irrespective of their origins.

That already happened hundreds of years ago. How many Americans are of English ancestry? A minority. Hell, im not. I speak english.
There are actually more German americans and scandanavians than there are english americans. Yet they all speak english.

Not sure their babies will speak English down the line and for the reasons I described. Spanish is already being taught in our schools and if the majority are Spanish speakers what makes you think that English will be pushed instead of Spanish? You cannot compare immigration from the past to today. Our immigrant numbers were more diversified back then and in fewer numbers then and we didn't have a huge illegal immigration problem from mostly one ethnic group either.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Polish nor German (which I think is what the Amish speak) are only confined to small areas. They are not all over the country.
The Amish are in 24 states and expanding.

Buckle up because they aren't going to give up their language because the English-only true believers are unhappy.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Answer: NO. Let businesses decide for themselves.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, in California, they aren't, and thank goodness they are available in selected languages when needed.

I'd like to think that traffic safety is an important aspect that should be widely disseminated, in spite of your knee-jerk nativism.
Uh; nothing wrong with being a "nativist" as as it does NOT cross into true racism. Now; if talking about keep people of certain "cultures" under tight quotas, like as in Muslims, Russians, Hispanics and so on; I'm def good with that. Like I said: the word is "culture", NOT "race".

Old 02-29-2016, 03:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Amish are in 24 states and expanding.

Buckle up because they aren't going to give up their language because the English-only true believers are unhappy.
Amish are rare and they DON'T have the rep of starting trouble. IF they ever got really cocky and expected main society to kiss up to them, they'd be put in their place real fast. Too; since they're moistly anglo white, the "race card" won't fly. I said "mostly" because there are quite a few Amish in LatAm who'd be tagged as "Hispanic" despite still being white of original German family.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
it kinda infuarates me seeing government city advertisement in spanish, saying free Pre-K in NYC. but i cant read it. I would like to know what it says there.
and in China town, all stores are in chinese. it really doesn't feel make me feel welcome in my own country.
and US doesn't have a official languages yet how come?
This sounds like an EXCELLENT law (for the nazis)

Old 02-29-2016, 04:31 PM

401 posts, read 649,814 times
In France everything has to be written in French or at least translated in French. French being the only official language in France is actually an amendment in the French constitution.
But in the context of the USA it wouldn't make much sense to pass such a law.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
But in the context of the USA it wouldn't make much sense to pass such a law.
But some people's feelings get hurt when they hear other languages being spoken. Isn't that sufficient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies