Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM

24 posts, read 10,396 times

Advertisements

I don't see how forcing privately-owned businesses to remove non-English signs is politically or economically (first-gen citizens tend to flock together and cater more towards their own for business and social purposes) viable especially when, as you said, there's no official language in this country. Concerning government signs, as long as they also have an English variant, why should it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 01:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Government may provide an interpreter, or documents or other media in the appropriate language - if there's sufficient demand & the budget's OK. Possibly as needed, if it's a legal or court question. If not, the immigrant is on his/her own, or can supply their own interpreter. Business will provide materials, if the demand justifies the cost.
Only a handful of federal laws mandate the use of languages other than English:

Immigration procedures: interpreters must be available during the physical and mental examination of foreigners seeking entry to the United States – 8 U.S.C. 1224.

Due process: court interpreters must be provided in federal civil and criminal trials that involve parties or witnesses who are not proficient in English – 28 U.S.C. 1827.

Migrant health care: bilingual personnel must be provided in federally funded migrant health centers and alcohol abuse programs that serve a significant non-English-speaking population – 42 U.S.C. 254b(f)(3)(J), 245c, 4577b.

Voting rights: bilingual ballots and voter information must be provided in jurisdictions where speakers of Spanish, Native American, and Asian American languages exceed 5 percent of the population or number more than 10,000 and have below average rates of voter turnout and English proficiency – 42 U.S.C. 1973aa-1a.

When federal agencies choose to serve the public in languages other than English, it is almost always to promote more efficient operations, such as:

to inform members of the public of their rights and responsibilities,;
to enforce various federal laws;
to safeguard the public health and safety;
to gather information – e.g., in the decennial census;
to support educational programs, including programs that teach English; and
to provide access to government and the political process.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Chinatown would not be Chinatown with only English language signs.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:17 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

One would expect foreign languages in signage and being spoken in ethnic "business" neighborhoods but that isn't what is being debated or discussed at least not by me anyway.

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-04-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
No and not sure why other languages bother anyone who doesn't need them.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Exactly. Who goes to Chinatown to eat at Denny`s?

Old 03-05-2016, 06:51 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
it kinda infuarates me seeing government city advertisement in spanish, saying free Pre-K in NYC. but i cant read it. I would like to know what it says there.
and in China town, all stores are in chinese. it really doesn't feel make me feel welcome in my own country.
and US doesn't have a official languages yet how come?
The official language in the US is legal language, which only a lawyer can understand.
hire a lawyer to read any legal doc, such as a release you need to sign in the demntist's office.

business should be allowed to post in whatever language they wish....no so the state or government.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:03 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
it kinda infuarates me seeing government city advertisement in spanish, saying free Pre-K in NYC. but i cant read it. I would like to know what it says there.
and in China town, all stores are in chinese. it really doesn't feel make me feel welcome in my own country.
and US doesn't have a official languages yet how come?
Xenophobes shouldn't feel welcome in the US.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:12 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Its capitalism at its best. Sell to whoever you have around the business. Over time the next generations learn and use English. Where I grew up Italian and Polish were the big languages of the elderly.

The business owner can advertise any way they please. Its that 1st amendment thing the right likes to talk about except when it gets in the way of their hate.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But unlike what happened in the past we're now entrenching incumbent foreign languages, especially Spanish, by allowing their use in school to teach academic subjects other than English.
Ummm ... Catholic schools in Polish parishes in Buffalo, NY taught academic subjects in Polish into at least the 1950s, and one parish school continued into the 1960s. For decades, ultra Orthodox Jews in the NYC area have sent their children to private schools where the children are immersed in Hebrew and Yiddish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies