Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 11:47 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches across the United Kingdom for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled.

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just - the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

British Googling 'What is the EU?' hours after voting to leave it - Winston-Salem Journal: Nation / World

I expect we'll hear a lot of this kind of regret going forward.
Reminds me a lot of people who supported Obama.
Then here comes Pelosi who announced that a bill would have to be passed so that they could see what's in it AND THE DEMS DID IT!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
Except I call people stupid because they are, in fact, stupid.
Okay. I respect your opinion. Ad hominem is your debate strategy. lol

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Right now the pound is down to $1.37 from $1.70 less than 2 years ago. Barclays is down 18% from yesterday. Lloyds is down 21% from yesterday. Royal Bank of Scotland is down 18% from yesterday. The biggest British insurance companies are down 10-20% from yesterday. BAE Systems, the defense giant, is down 4.6% from yesterday. Easyjet is down 14% and International Consolidated Air (holder of British Air, among others) is down 20% from yesterday. Marks & Spencer is down 11% from yesterday.

Today is a bloodbath for many of Britain's most venerated companies (and largest employers). This is a sign of the economic disruption to come for the UK.
Last year the U.S. stock market nosedived 1000 points, then it hit all time highs. The U.S. stock markets down 514 points today there's a sale going on. I'm going shopping.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
Jesus you people are dense. Yea, we're a nation of EUROPEAN immigrants that built the most powerful and advanced nation in the world without any help of fundamentalist, 80 IQ 3rd worlders. A nation is a nation and a society is a society only when it is high trust with shared values, norms and identities.

I don't give two chits about the the globo world. I'm American and I value MY country and MY people. America is not and should not be the worlds guardian and/or caretaker. There are plenty of white, black and brown AMERICANS that already need opportunities without letting 3rd world hordes in unencumbered because of some pathetic 'white man's burden' facade.
What a load of garbage!!! Let me tell you how it really is, scooter.

Our nation was built by a collection of Euros who created our national foundation based on The Constitution, Black Slavery, Native American Extermination, Exploitation of Brown people, and immigration.

Whether you like it or not, these are the pillars of our existence. Without the Black Slavery, the extermination of Native Americans, exploitation of the Brown people and robust immigration, you Euro settlers would have nothing........Nada........Zip.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:50 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
England is a global economic powerhouse. It will never be ignored or "cut off" from trade. It is simply too important to the global economic cycle for any of that to happen in any meaningful way. Any industrialized nation who bans trade with England, is essentially shooting themselves in the foot too. Will there be some changes in the processes? Yes, no doubts about it. But will trade continue in a meaningful and profitable way between England and her partners? Absolutely, without question.

What I am curious to see unfold is if Brexit is the entire sentence, or just the first word of a sentence not yet fully scripted. I honestly don't know. But if immigration is the primary driver for such a result, then I think it's just the first word with more to follow, including in my own country (US) and Trump in a few months time.

For the record, I really don't like either of my two presidential candidates.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:50 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Did you copy and paste this post from some kind of lame social justice pamphlet handed out in front of the campus cafeteria?

Good grief.
Nope. Composed it on the fly as I read the posts in this thread. I stand by every word.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm continually astonished at the smugness of liberals, content in their knowledge they're smarter than anyone else. Do they really think the British didn't know what was going on?
Exactly. People are too dumb to realize that the majority of the "What happens now?" google searches were done by the 48% or 16M people who DIDN'T vote to exit and who never gave thought to it even being a possibility. I'm sure they were all over google trying to read up on this new and unexpected twist to their world, but no, lets just assume its a bunch of dummies who didn't realize what they were voting for.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm continually astonished at the smugness of liberals, content in their knowledge they're smarter than anyone else. Do they really think the British didn't know what was going on?
I'm continually astonished at the smugness of conservatives believing they know what's going on considering their response to attacks on the US was to invade/occupy a country they themselves told us time after time after time had nothing to do with those attacks.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:52 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nationalism, xenophobia and bigotry are never the right course of action.
Here it is for all to see folks. If you look out for your OWN interests, you are a nationalist, xenophobe, bigot. This is why the West is collapsing.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Why so against people who want to be free from Brussels making the calls for their country? How would you like it if we were part of the Americas Union and Mexico City made all the calls for our country and you were told by them you would help bail out Argentina and we had to take 300,000 Syrian Refugees?

What happened to the Sanders supporters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies