Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 06:20 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Dropping dead one day at work is my retirement plan.

401K is a joke. It's something they give you when they can't provide a real retirement plan. And most companies cannot provide a real retirement plan. We have to compete with China, or some other excuse.
I hear you on working till death. I've had 2 periods of extended downtime (a year) due to car wreck and divorce. I can't imagine how bored I'd get if I retired full time.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:24 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, and now the multi millionaires have become multi billionaires. The rich use the market to build, grow and preserve their wealth, just like the rest of us in the market. It has helped the rich become richer.
Perhaps pension plans, 401Ks, IRAs, etc. should all leave the market?

The fact is that tens of millions (if not more) of American workers and retirees have hitched their wagon to the same market that makes the rich even richer.

FWIW, here's the scale we're looking at, and why the stock market has been propped up with QE and ZIRP:

$27 trillion in pension/retirement investments

Old 06-25-2016, 06:24 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Any market predictions for Nov 9th?

Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
It turns out the country didn't vote that way. It has the same implications for Trump's ascendancy here.
Considering that the polling was pretty much split the entire time this is an epic thread fail.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:28 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches across the United Kingdom for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled.

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just - the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

British Googling 'What is the EU?' hours after voting to leave it - Winston-Salem Journal: Nation / World

I expect we'll hear a lot of this kind of regret going forward.
Some bureaucrats want a mulligan. They want life to go on as before, with cans being kicked down the road.

Funny thing about voters; they didn't want to import Europe's self-inflicted wounds. Europe never learns. Not from the brain drain to the Americas in the 1700's and 1800's. Not from the Holocaust. Not from the Paris or Brussels attacks.

Britain, thank you for showing the way; out.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:28 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Those meanie Brits thrusting Brexit on our 401K's...shame on them....lol

I lost $35K in 401K stock value yesterday, stocks go up and they go down, they'll go back up. i wouldn't mind losing a lot more than to get our country back enforcing our laws and treating everyday Americans with respect.
they will go up in America, but not in the UK anytime soon.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You only mention England. What about the rest of the UK, which will be more likely to split apart due to Brexit.
Then England should be considering a wall on it's northern border so Scotland via the European Union doesn't let in every Tom, Dick, Harry and Mohammed and they walk across to England.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Perhaps pension plans, 401Ks, IRAs, etc. should all leave the market?

The fact is that tens of millions (if not more) of American workers and retirees have hitched their wagon to the same market that makes the rich even richer.

FWIW, here's the scale we're looking at, and why the stock market has been propped up with QE and ZIRP:

$27 trillion in pension/retirement investments

Do you ever get tired of posting the same thing over and over again? The vast majority of Americans derive the vast majority of their income from work, not from investing. Work should always be our #1 priority..how the stock market does is far down the list. At one point they had a positive casualty but globalism changed that, and now what's good for stock prices is often bad for workers.

I look forward to you posting the pensions meme everyday on this forum until the day you die.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches across the United Kingdom for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled.

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just - the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

British Googling 'What is the EU?' hours after voting to leave it - Winston-Salem Journal: Nation / World

I expect we'll hear a lot of this kind of regret going forward.
Similar to people voting for Trump in November and Googling "What are Trump's political policies", the same people who voted to leave the EU (older, less educated, from rural areas) are the same people who will be voting for Trump.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:33 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Similar to people voting for Trump in November and Googling "What are Trump's political policies", the same people who voted to leave the EU (older, less educated, from rural areas) are the same people who will be voting for Trump.
So you're sayingt hat if you don't want some unelected, faceless bureaucrat ruling you you're dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies