Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Sheeesh! No thanks. & if Mr. Mises' foolish consistencies are not hobgoblin enough for you, take a look at some more modern day libertarian consistencies, this article discusses Richard Epstein & William McGurn's inanities:
Oh it was more than enough. After reading libertarianism which I describe as the philosophy of the perpetual petulance of adolescences, I was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What part of the word law do you not understand?
Please don't get nasty with me.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh it was more than enough. After reading libertarianism which I describe as the philosophy of the perpetual petulance of adolescences, I was done.
No more 'preaching to the choir' today for me. Alright I can't resist this last:

Quote:
"Yeah, but I wouldn't vote against getting rid of the Jim Crow laws," Paul said. He explained that he would have opposed the Civil Rights Act "because of the property rights element, not because they got rid of the Jim Crow laws."
Paul says he would have opposed 1964 Civil Rights Act | TheHill

I guess we're supposed to feel all warm & fuzzy because he & his son wouldn't support any efforts to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
You seem to have focused on only one part of my post. Why do African-American females dominate when compared to African-American males the higher echelon of test scores unlike practically every other racial/ethnic demographic?

No clue, poverty isnt selective of gender. can you answer it ????

Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
The segregationists rightfully feared the power of the free market? The Civil Right movement was really a free market movement? Gimme a break please.
What in the world are you talking about? Of course the Civil Rights movement was not a free market thing. But make no mistakes Jim Crow laws also are completely against the free market. If you were to introduce free market principles to the Jim Crow south they would shoot it down. Because the free market actually allows black businesses to compete with white ones. What Jim Crow laws wanted was protectionism via government. They wanted to shut down all competition, and use the government to achieve these means. Sort of like corporate welfare.

And by the way, crony capitalism is NOT free trade.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Inadequate availability of a quality education in public schools is a decades-long problem. What hope will there ever be that public school "leadership" will ever get their act together?

Let's recap...

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

In what world is adequately educating only 26% and 38% of all students, respectively, not "failing?"

And that in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Black students.

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? I don't think so. Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools to keep teachers unions happy?

Again, think very carefully about how Dems only care about teachers unions' donations and votes, and don't give a sh*t about kids and their future, and ask yourself why you consistently come down on the side of dumbing-down our country's kids.
Your link averages 11 states over a 4 year period in a pilot program, not all 50 or even a sampling of the 50, just 11 states. And you tried to pass that off as a national study as if I wouldnt read the actual link, LOL

And please stop trying to blame Dems. my state ranks close to last in education and the teachers unions mean nothing down here. Every summer teachers get fired and rehired just so they dont get tenor.

in the States where education in ranked the lowest, there are less Dems and less teachers unions, but keep blaming those 2 for the failures in the system.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Apparently you've never listened to Ron Paul when he said he would have opposed 1964 Civil Rights Act? Or Rand Paul making circular arguments re: the very same thing?

& what's the difference between a right to discriminate & imposing an obligation to discriminate?

A libertarian pre 1964 & post 1964? How is this helpful?

He believed in state rights. If Jim Crow laws stayed on the books, you want to know what would have happened? More blacks would have moved to states that didn't enforce Jim Crow laws. Black migration out of the south happened quite a bit during the Jim Crow south. There was definitely some issues with blacks in the north and in the west. But it never mattered anyway, because blacks were just breaking away and starting their own businesses. Ever heard of the many Black Wallstreets in America.

You want to know what shut down all of the Black Wallstreets? Big government. Civil Rights didn't solve any issues. People can and still discriminate. The only difference is that they just choose to not tell you that's what they're doing.

So how do we get around discriminatory practices? Why we create quotas. But it's so hard to quantify what discrimination is, because it's a slippery slope. That is why you reasonably have racial denial, because discrimination is much harder to prove.

If Civil Rights never came around, blacks would have ended up like Asians and Jews. They would have just built their own businesses.

Civil Rights was just a means to desegregate the consumer basis. Since blacks even back then had the largest spending power. It was harder for national businesses to do business in the south. Civil Rights made it easier to do that. And it essentially ran all black businesses that were in the south out of business

Old 02-26-2016, 01:29 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your link averages 11 states over a 4 year period in a pilot program, not all 50 or even a sampling of the 50, just 11 states.
Nope. NAEP participating states:

https://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcar...partic.aspx#rm

Quote:
And please stop trying to blame Dems.
Oh, please. Everyone KNOWS Dems have a stranglehold on our country's ABYSMAL public education system. It's all about teachers unions, their donations, and their votes. Dems care NOT ONE WHIT about our country's children and their future.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, the same point Goldwater made along with questioning the constitutionality of those sections. Libertarians generally believe that governments should not be able to discriminate, but individuals, including individuals who own businesses should be. I personally would not want to eat in a restaurant where interracial couples, such as myself and my wife, are despised. Nor would I eat at a restaurant or shop in a store where the shop owner was interested in any color but green. Libertarians have more faith in the free market than you do. Remember segregation was often enforced by laws (i.e. Jim Crow). The segregationists rightfully feared the power of the free market.

What percentage of businesses do you believe would turn down African-American customers today if those Title II and Title VII were suddenly repealed? Of course it will not happen. A Libertarian President would not be able to enact his will any easier than a Republican or Democrat President. In fact, he would probably have a more difficult time. Repealing those articles is not a high priority for most libertarians. You would most likely do get a softening of penalties for drug crimes which would disproportionately help African-Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Of course the Civil Rights movement was not a free market thing.
I was responding to the above post. The segregationists rightfully feared the power of the free market. Honest question, do you believe 'free market' concerns were uppermost in segregationists' minds?

Quote:
But make no mistakes Jim Crow laws also are completely against the free market. If you were to introduce free market principles to the Jim Crow south they would shoot it down.
So, begs the question, did libertarians introduce their principles in the Jim Crowe South? & is that how they were repealed?

Quote:
Because the free market actually allows black businesses to compete with white ones. What Jim Crow laws wanted was protectionism via government. They wanted to shut down all competition, and use the government to achieve these means. Sort of like corporate welfare.
The proponents of the Jim Crowers had the States & local governments protection of their right 'to be jerks. & it took the Civil Rights movement to repeal those laws & let the free market fly. Even today, right here in this thread, there are folks supporting businesses' right to discriminate. Some call it 'free market fundamentalism' & it does seemingly have a religious ring to it, being faith based on inaminates.

Quote:
And by the way, crony capitalism is NOT free trade.
Crony capitalism is not capitalism period.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,629 times
Quote:
I am a black male. And I have found that there is no political philosophy that would help black people more than the Libertarian platform. What the Libertarian has not done is show how the philosophy and ideology behind Libertarianism benefits black people.

Black business

Blacks have a harder time getting loans for their business. But how does Libertarianism solve this issue? Well it's simple. Banks have to be FDIC approved, and there is also the pesky FED at work too. So it's a hard game to enter. So very few black banks exist. And as such won't loan to black businesses. But if we were a true Libertarian society and a free market, then there would be no FED. And there would be no one controlling the currency. As such black people could start banks, and they can use crypto currencies for transactions.

Privatized Police

Police brutality seems to be a huge focal point in the media today. And this is a good enough reason for the black communities NOT to have a police force. Now how would that work?

community policing. Because the government is not trying to be the hero of the black community, black people are now forced to take care of their own community. If a drug dealer want to sell drugs on your corner, people in the neighborhood come out with guns pointed tell him to move along. If every black person had guns pointed at drug dealers, there would be no drug dealers.

You would reduce the crime rate over night.

Legalize Drugs, and create a new mult billion dollar market

It is estimated that drug revenues are close to $300 billion. That is a lot of money in this black market. To the point where creating a new market would stimulate the economy in some major ways. For one, we can always have laws that say that you can't do drugs in public. And that would spur the need for drug havens, where people can go to freely do their drugs, and can only leave when fully detoxed. Not only would that create so many businsses, it would create so many jobs.

Privatized schools

Black people on average receive some of the worst education. The schools are not well maintained and they're out of order. Public education has been a massive failure. The thing is, the black community does have knowledgeable people. But since there is little economic incentive to educate black youth, many usually don't. And even if they wanted to, they would have to get to bureaucratic nonsense associated with public education.

Schooling should be competitive at all levels. This creates markets, and drives down competition. And sense there is no more public school for black people to pay for, they have more money in general to invest in the system.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Though Libertarianism will save America, not just black America. But I just wanted to highlight why libertarianism is especially great for black Americans.
The only reason anyone votes Libertarian is because they like losing and feeling superior about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies