Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
A safari in Uganda costs about $8,000 per person.
A safari in Kenya costs about $10,000 per person.
A safari in Zimbabwe costs about $6,000 per person.

The prices quoted are 'starting at' prices.

I would guess that more people go on safaris than hunters go to hunt.

So if even ten people went on safari in Uganda, that is $80,000 right there. I'm sure more than ten people take a safari vacation each year.
So what are the hidden costs of over population to local farmers and villages? All the staring at the lions on safari doesn't solve the problems that an over population of lions cause to local farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Shrinking habitat and over population by humans are the main reasons for this issue.
Couldn't agree more with you on that.
Quote:
Wildlife organizations donate millions in an attempt to preserve these dwindling resources.
Many of which are supported by hunters and sportsmen.
Quote:
Addressing poaching
What you don't seem to get is that without the hunting industry making lions such a valuable commodity to these governments, there's no financial incentive for them to address poaching. They aren't going to do it just out of the goodness of their hearts.
Quote:
creating parks,
How much money is there in creating parks and sanctuaries? How can the local governments benefit financially? Again, they aren't going to do these things out of the goodness of their heart. Find a way to make it profitable for them, even more so then hunting, and you'll have something.
Quote:
seems like a more reasonable solution than allowing people who could care less about their existence to just kill them outright. Let's not make believe these types of hunters care about the existence of these animals.
There's another big problem of yours. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of hunters, how they contribute to conservation efforts, and how much they care about wildlife.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
"Garbage Researches"??? LOL!!! All of them!? You're a comedian. You call them garbage just because you disagree with them.

And nothing in the article you reference disputes my contention that hunting income is measured in the millions, while non-hunting tourism is measured in the billions.

Wikipedia: Namibia tourism income is $7.2B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Namibia
Namibia Hunting income is paultry $28M. http://www.ecolarge.com/wp-content/u...NAL-lowres.pdf

Shifeta most likely defends hunting because he takes bribes from the hunting industry. But if it came down to choosing between eco-tourism and hunting, it would be a no-brainer. Hunting is a tiny, tiny fraction of Namibia's $7B tourism industry.
You don't need a large population of lions for tourists to come and pay thousands to look at them all day, you just need a few.

What you don't take in to account is the toll that an over population of lions has on local farmers and villagers, and the dangers and nuisance they pose.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:57 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of hunters, how they contribute to conservation efforts, and how much they care about wildlife.
Does their thinking go something like: "I care so much about animals, I'm going to go kill some."?

Hunters don't even 'hunt' anymore.

They lure animals and kill them from a safe place.

They shoot animals from helicopters.

They drive around in armored vehicles and chase animals until the animals cannot run anymore, then they kill them.

That is not hunting.

And then there are the POS who shoot an animal and don't kill it, but they leave to go get dinner and have a few drinks because they're 'tired'. They leave the animal to suffer; how can anyone defend that?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You don't need a large population of lions for tourists to come and pay thousands to look at them all day, you just need a few.
So you're thinking that "a few" lions are going to sit around all day and pose for tourists, like in a zoo? Pardon me while I snicker.

Last summer a buddy and I spent an entire month on a self-guided safari, camping our way across South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. It was winter there, the dry season and best time for viewing wildlife at watering holes. We 4x4'd our way through rugged backcountry between game camps, parklands and countries. We drove many hundreds of kilometers in the dirt and sand and thousands more on paved roads. Sometimes we'd travel in the dirt for the better part of a day without seeing another soul. Know how many lions we saw during the month? Exactly one. It crossed the road in front of us and took off into the brush within seconds, giving us only a quick glimpse.

We even spent four days in Etosha, a massive 124,000 sq/km park in Namibia, home to an estimated 300 lions. The odds of seeing even one lion at that density is extremely low. We didn't see any, despite our best efforts.

We're going back next year to Kenya and Tanzania, and hope to have better luck in the smaller game parks where the lion density is higher.

Anyway, thanks for your expert opinions.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Wow, you actually think quoting propaganda from a bunch of raving activists makes your case. These people have zero credibility on this issue because they do nothing but pump out blatant lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I see that reason, logic, and relevance are foreign concepts to you. Your case is pathetically extinct.
Poo-pooing multiple references and empirical evidence with nothing but insults and hot-air is simply ignorance combined with arrogance. But do carry on.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
A safari in Uganda costs about $8,000 per person.
A safari in Kenya costs about $10,000 per person.
A safari in Zimbabwe costs about $6,000 per person.

The prices quoted are 'starting at' prices.

I would guess that more people go on safaris than hunters go to hunt.

So if even ten people went on safari in Uganda, that is $80,000 right there. I'm sure more than ten people take a safari vacation each year.
Most of the better photo safaris run around $14K for 10 days, not including your plane ticket to Africa. Too rich for my blood. Instead I spent a year researching and figured out how to self-tour for a month in Africa for $5K INCLUDING airfare.

Anyway, again, hunting revenue in Africa is measured in the millions of dollars, while non-hunting tourism in Africa is measured in the BILLIONS. I've provided references to that effect and anyone that disagrees with that figure can provide a reference to back up their claim, or shut up.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm just saying. All of a sudden, we're expected to believe lions breed like rabbits.

Don't you conservatives love your free speech? Or do you need your safe space?
It's a conspiracy!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Like how? Shoot them and track them like the POS did?

What are the other ways to kill lions?
Like many other liberals, the person doesn't think about logic and how western hunters provide a great source of income for poor African countries. Instead, they're filled with hate and nasty feelings about guns and hunters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies