Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,446,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
What happens when artificially inflated collateral readjusts ,(bubble bursts)? A lot of people lose a lot of money, but the bubble creators made a fortune first, which is how ponzi schemes generally work.
Tell that to Bear Stearns, AIG, New Century, Countrywide, Lehman, WaMu, et. al.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:22 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Tell that to Bear Stearns, AIG, New Century, Countrywide, Lehman, WaMu, et. al.
Angelo Mozilo walked off with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Angelo Mozilo walked off with hundreds of millions of dollars.
Aside from a few CEO's and shorts, you'll find more losers than winners.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Aside from a few CEO's and shorts, you'll find more losers than winners.
Yeah, lots of the "little people" lost. I'm not sure what kind of defense that is supposed to be though.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, lots of the "little people" lost. I'm not sure what kind of defense that is supposed to be though.
It's not a defense. My posts were in response to this being a ponzi scheme.
If you need that explained, I cannot help you.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's not a defense. My posts were in response to this being a ponzi scheme.
If you need that explained, I cannot help you.
That's how a Ponzi scheme works......except when caught the guilty parties are usually prosecuted. Angelo Mozilo was far guiltier than Madoff. As is Lloyd Blankfein.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,614,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Doesn't matter what the repubs did, because what they did in isolation didn't cause the problem. The Dems in isolation didn't cause the problem. Together one was digging up the foundation while the other was putting in a roof garden, and if the whole picture had been seen before the event someone might have thought, you know, I think that may not be such a great idea.
I agree in principle that both parties are responsible, but claiming the CRA was a factor in the financial crisis is an inherently partisan argument.

Quote:
what does not work is deregulating the credit market and requiring by law that lenders begin to provide loans to people on factors other than solely financial.
To the extent that "forced mortgage lending" occured at all, had no impact on the mortgage crisis.

I'm not claiming the Democrats are absolved of responsibility. I'm just saying that your particular argument here does not hold water in an analytical sense. It's really puzzling to me how someone interested in this topic can point to "forced lending" as a factor in the crisis, when the only analysis claiming such has been thoroughly debunked.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I agree in principle that both parties are responsible, but claiming the CRA was a factor in the financial crisis is an inherently partisan argument.
How it was carried out was a factor. Granting loans to people with no verifiable income is not going to end well. Would that alone have caused the crash? No, but that is why it is noted as only a factor.

Quote:
To the extent that "forced mortgage lending" occured at all, had no impact on the mortgage crisis.

I'm not claiming the Democrats are absolved of responsibility. I'm just saying that your particular argument here does not hold water in an analytical sense. It's really puzzling to me how someone interested in this topic can point to "forced lending" as a factor in the crisis, when the only analysis claiming such has been thoroughly debunked.
It wasn't forced. It was a quid pro quo arrangement. You provide bad loans and we relax regulations.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
That's how a Ponzi scheme works......except when caught the guilty parties are usually prosecuted. Angelo Mozilo was far guiltier than Madoff. As is Lloyd Blankfein.
No. That's not how a Ponzi scheme works.
It may feel that way but...... systemic - not operator / investor specific.

This would be a Ponzi within the system-wide downturn.

Con Man Agrees to Plead Guilty in Three Fraud Schemes, Including Multi-Million-Dollar Ponzi and Separate Mortgage Fraud Scheme

Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM

88,572 posts, read 44,302,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The poster is not talking about corporate taxes. The poster is talking about individual taxes.

The 1% and the 99%...those are individuals.
OK, but we know the effective tax rate each group pays in individual federal income tax (includes capital gains). The IRS publishes the data. Table 8, here:
Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2015 Update

I'm not seeing where the top 1% or even the top 0.1% is paying a lower effective federal income tax rate than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies