Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you even read that, if you had you might have noticed a few things:

1) Documentation is not required for an existing customer as long as the bank has a reasonable belief that it knows the customer’s true identity
The discussion was about opening new accounts.

Quote:
2) the section titled: Verification Through Nondocumentary Methods. Which discusses the means by which a person can prove their identity without documentary evidence.
Yes, and it requires a written, Board approved identification verification protocol for those who cannot produce a non-expired government-issued photo ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've lived in 4 states as an adult, and have been asked for a photo ID every single time. You even have to provide a photo ID in several states to buy certain OTC meds.
You must be filling scripts for Oxycontin or Vicodin then. I didn't read the details of every state law but at first glance I can't find one state that requires an ID for a prescription that is NOT a controlled substance (i.e. narcotic) and a number of states have provisions for a person with no ID, i.e. recognition of the person by the pharmacist.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
She received both medicare and social security for many decades since her husband died. In order to receive them she provided a copy of her birth certificate and her marriage license, there is still no requirement for a photo ID to receive benefits. Any other questions?
Was this before the Patriot Act requirements came into play ?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
She received both medicare and social security for many decades since her husband died. In order to receive them she provided a copy of her birth certificate and her marriage license...
Exactly. Certified documents that can only be issued to certain persons.

Note the thread title... Liberals, about this odd fight against having to show an ID to vote.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Was this before the Patriot Act requirements came into play ?
I already said it was several decades ago, but in 2016 there is still no photo id requirement to get social security benefits, click on that highlighted text, that's a link to the information on the SS website.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
The discussion was about opening new accounts.

Yes, and it requires a written, Board approved identification verification protocol for those who cannot produce a non-expired government-issued photo ID.
I'm not sure about you but I opened a bank account with a library card and my 4th grade report card, as that is my highest education level. This was done years before the patriot act changed the rules, at which time I was put on the terrorist watch list because my ethnicity... But that did allow me to vote in 3 different places with my American, my French, and my Algerian name.

Unfortunately in my state, they do ask your name and mark you off the list. However, I got around that by stating religious custom and was allowed to wear my headgear... So I duped the election individual.

Moral of the story: those who want to believe that requiring an id to vote is oppression won't change their political and anecdotally based position.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I have never had a doctor, or pharmacy ask me for ID. My pharmacy asks me for my date of birth and they check it with my data that I provided them.
I have had to provide photo ID at a hospital along with my insurance card. Never at the pharmacy.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You must be filling scripts for Oxycontin or Vicodin then.
Hardly.

States That Require Identification for Over-the-Counter Purchases of Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine
http://www.namsdl.org/library/80C44C...686FED14B0ED4/

Common OTC cold/flu medications.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Certified documents that can only be issued to certain persons.
Every state that has imposed the requirement for a voter ID has required a photo ID, not a certified birth certificate, not a certified document. And most of these states require additional proof of identity if the name you are currently using does not match that on your birth certificate so without a proof of name change or divorce decree you can't get a voter ID.

But if you don't have a 'certified' birth certificate SS will help you file an affidavit in lieu of one. I had another great aunt whose birth certificate was destroyed in the SF earthquake and fire, when she applied for benefits she filed an affadavit signed by two people who knew her and her parents from when she was young.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think some of the younger posters on here don't realize that photo ID was not always the norm. I believe it has been fewer than 20 years since NJ made it mandatory to have a photo on your driver's license. New drivers had photos but for the rest of us, the photo version was optional for a long time if you renewed by mail.

People like my mother have been collecting SS since before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies