Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 08:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nevertheless, here in Colorado I am always asked for a photo ID when I pickup a prescription, and they are not for narcotics.
I have moved a few thousand dollars worth of prescriptions between three pharmacies over the last year without showing anyone anything. You better know your birthday though. I also get a monthly infusion worth a couple of grand and they have not seen photo ID either.

Only time I have had to show photo ID was to buy Ephedrine.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-29-2016 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 09:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So basically a state issued national ID.
Not necessarily. Facial recognition or other biometrics would not necessarily need any additional personal identifiable information other than number to reference if there is a discrepancy. The feds would not necessarily have to be involved at all,

Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 PM

71 posts, read 51,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just go to a bar in any college town and ask the underage students where they got theirs.
Don't forget to ask how much they paid for it. With the latest security enhancements, forging a driver's license is like trying to counterfeit currency.

So a forged official document good enough to fool anyone aint cheap these days, and if you try to use it in a place where it is scanned, as another poster mentioned earlier about their polling place, then the game is up.

An underage college student might pay the money for one of these high quality forgeries once, so they can drink.

There are very few people in this world willing and able to spend all that money for multiple fake IDs bearing someone else's information just to vote more than once. That would be a quite cost prohibitive way to commit voter fraud.

So the ID requirement still holds true.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except the OP is a conservative admitting it.
The OP is a conservative making a point, who would never do it.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not necessarily. Facial recognition or other biometrics would not necessarily need any additional personal identifiable information other than number to reference if there is a discrepancy. The feds would not necessarily have to be involved at all,
Well if it is a database that stretches from state to state, then that would in fact fall into federal territory. You guys keep beating around the bush for a National ID, just admit that is what you guys want and be done with it.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think some of the younger posters on here don't realize that photo ID was not always the norm. I believe it has been fewer than 20 years since NJ made it mandatory to have a photo on your driver's license. New drivers had photos but for the rest of us, the photo version was optional for a long time if you renewed by mail.

People like my mother have been collecting SS since before that.
Well it is now. Better get with the program and get one, or the inability to vote will be the least of your problems.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She received both medicare and social security for many decades since her husband died. In order to receive them she provided a copy of her birth certificate and her marriage license, there is still no requirement for a photo ID to receive benefits. Any other questions?
Yeah. Why is she too lazy to get her butt down to the DMV with that documentation and get herself an ID card?

Or voting is one of the MANY things she'll have to avoid.

Next?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:37 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
you obviously appear deviant or such. I have moved a few thousand dollars worth of prescriptions between three pharmacies over the last year without showing anyone anything. You better know your birthday though. I also get a monthly infusion worth a couple of grand and they have not seen photo ID either.

Only time I have had to show photo ID was to buy Ephedrine.
And I suppose the 82 year old neighbor lady I sometimes take to the drug store to pick up her medications also looks deviant. You need to apologize.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I hope you are kidding. The easiest of all things to fake is a face.
I guess if you had a Hollywood makeup artist you do an adequate job and fool some poll workers but you are not going to fool facial recognition. All the makeup in the world is not going to change the distance your eyes are apart and other key features.

Quote:
And as soon as you establish a common data base of physical identification you have a national ID card.
I'm not necessarily opposed to such a card but if need be accommodations can be made to those that do.

Quote:
And Photo ID in no way provides for such a system.
Yes it can with today's tech, it's just matter of implementing it.

Quote:
No place near tight enough and in lots of places those ineligible to vote have perfectly good photo ID.
A correctly implemented ID card issued to someone illegible to vote would not have the encrypted data on it that is checked against the server data to determine if they are eligible to vote and other things like is it legitimate ID.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
An underage college student might pay the money for one of these high quality forgeries once, so they can drink.

The PA ID is difficult to fake, at least to the extent where college kids getting into bars or voter fraud is going to enter the picture. You can teach a five year old kid how to spot one.

This card has the typical prism type hologram on the entire face of the card however do you see the black/white keystone with the circle around it?

The color shifts between white and black depending on the angle. All the fakes I've see have the same logo but they use the prism type hologram to duplicate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies