Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 12:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I disagree. Why? .
Because at that point they are no longer living at home and have a personal investment in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can't just limit it to property owners, renters pay property tax increases because it will be reflected in their rent. A college kid living in private housing year round is going to have significantly different outlook on raising property taxes when it's pointed out to them their rent is going up. A college kid living in a dormitory where even the school itself is not paying property tax has no skin the game, let them vote in their home district to raise their parents property tax.

They may pay it, but they can pick up and leave at a moments notice, with their vote effecting the community, with them there only a month(carpetbaggers).

Out of state College kids are the perfect example. They are there from 1 - 6 years depending on their commitment, and they usually leave back where they came, or to other places to start life. Sure some stay... and buy property.

The recent oil boom was another fine example. Small town politics was all scrambled up and now they are dealing with the aftermath, to get back where they were.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Property tax is not the only issue in local or state elections, there are things like tuition increases, sales tax, vehicle registration all of which impact students living in dormitories. Republicans don't want students to vote because they know that they are more likely to vote for democrats, it's that simple. And trying to make voter ID's difficult to get is an effort to disenfranchise the poor and the elderly, conservatives even admit to the real reason they are sooo worried about voter fraud.

Unbelievable GOP Statements on Voter Suppression | BillMoyers.com
College ID was valid under the PA law, why did Democrats oppose it?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they don't. Just went through that with 2 kids in Big Ten schools not that long ago. Both lived in off-campus private housing, worked local jobs, and even paid year-round rent. Didn't matter. The schools would NOT switch them to in-state tuition.
You simply need a lawyer which our mother was...though brother never had to go past threatening. He also clearly had no other home...which helped some.

Some states beat this by offering benefits to the graduates of the state high schools rather than in or out of state tuition. But practically no state could maintain out of state tuition say for a family that moves to the state the summer after the kid graduates. The state is, in the end, going to lose.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:06 PM

89,012 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because at that point they are no longer living at home and have a personal investment in the community.
Then why aren't they switched to paying in-state tuition? They live in the college community, pay rent in the college community, have jobs in the college community, pay sales and other taxes in the college community, patronize college community businesses, but frequently pay 3 times the tuition.

Example:

UW-Madison:
Annual In-state tuition: $10,415
Annual Out-of-state tuition: $29,665

Quote:
"Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes, even after living in Wisconsin a year or more."
https://registrar.wisc.edu/residence.htm

And people wonder why college students/grads are saddled with crushing student loan debt.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A vote through mail.... Why do I have this instinct, that even I could fraud the voting system, with mail in ballots. We understand that people in rural areas, may not be ready to travel on voting day, that is why they have early absentee ballots, for when you are in town, for supplies.

Could I not send in my wifes and my daughters ballots, marked the way I want them to?
So does that mean you understand why I said some instead of all?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
They may pay it, but they can pick up and leave at a moments notice, with their vote effecting the community, with them there only a month(carpetbaggers). Out of state College kids are the perfect example. They are there from 1 - 6 years depending on their commitment, and they usually leave back where they came, or to other places to start life. Sure some stay... and buy property.
The recent oil boom was another fine example. Small town politics was all scrambled up and now they are dealing with the aftermath, to get back where they were.
Anyone who moves to an area can move out the next day, so why worry so much about students moving out? What do you want to do require that people vote in the place where they lived the longest, even if they moved away from there years ago?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not really true. A number of states provide thick procedural hurdles to getting in state tuition but virtually all fold if frontally attacked. My Brother went through it decades ago in the midwest. He was an AF veteran, married with child and moved to the city. They folded in less than six months and agreed he was a local, which he was.

College students should be treated the same as everyone else. They actually live on or near the campus not at home.

Again tends to be another of those cases where the Republicans are trying to limit groups that may tend to vote Democratic. Bet it is not a problem in Utah.

If BYU or Hillsdale College opened up a campus in your district, I reckon you would be demanding they all vote in their home districts.

Or maybe you would like a Military base opened up in your district?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
A vote through mail.... Why do I have this instinct, that even I could fraud the voting system, with mail in ballots. We understand that people in rural areas, may not be ready to travel on voting day, that is why they have early absentee ballots, for when you are in town, for supplies.
Could I not send in my wifes and my daughters ballots, marked the way I want them to?
absentee voting has the highest potential for fraudulent voting, but red states won't touch it with a 10 foot pole because that is how their reliably Republican constituents vote.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Good Grief!

It is not that hard to vote these days! Read the rules, make sure everything is in order, and vote already!

If someone in 21st century does not have the proper credentials then that is a person who is not inclined to vote anyway. Their choice.

My first votes were cast in Washington, DC in the 1980s. I had to show my ID. Somehow it was not an issue in this city run by African-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies