Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Now you're saying you had an ID (Your statement elaborated: I had this, this and this.). What was it?

And student IDs have a photo on them, no? Mine did over 30 years ago when I was in college, and my kids' did when they were in college in the late/early 2000s/2010s.
I had two items, not three. The ID I am referring to is a student ID.

If I had three, I would have said, "I had an ID, a student ID, and a voter registration card" with an oxford comma. No oxford comma = two items.

(I have been careful in my posts to differentiate between government issued photo ID and non-government photo ID like a student ID or work ID, which are not acceptable for voting under voter ID laws.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post

If I had three, I would have said, "I had an ID, a student ID, and a voter registration card" with an oxford comma. No oxford comma = two items.

(I have been careful in my posts to differentiate between government issued photo ID and non-government photo ID like a student ID or work ID, which are not acceptable for voting under voter ID laws.)

The truth comes out.... You had a verified photo ID.
Guess what. That form of ID, is acceptable at the voting booth, just like a conceal carry license is.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That secondary documentation, required ID/birth Certificate.
Kinda like you don't need an ID buy a gun(no waiting period) if you already have a valid CCW(secondary documentation). Which was obtained using an ID.
No, it didn't require an ID or birth certificate to get them. Again, I never had a government issued photo ID nor proof of birth beyond an abstract of birth. These were sufficient to enroll in school, lease an apartment, connect utilities, etc, but not to get government issued ID.

Now, if I had not enrolled briefly in college and obtained a college ID, all of this would have been more difficult. But, I was able to enroll in college with my abstract of birth and school transcripts as proof of identity. The college ID never expired. (Sidenote: I had a driver's permit briefly in high school, but did not drive a car against until I was in my mid-30s, partly because of my difficulty in obtaining acceptable proof of identity for a license. While you work, cash checks, fly, get government benefits and all sorts of other things without a real birth certificate, driving a car is not one of those things.)

Voter ID laws with secondary identification could certainly work, but that's not the laws being proposed in about 80% of the proposals. Those laws are laws with strict requirements of a government issued photo ID and no other acceptable secondary forms.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The truth comes out.... You had a verified photo ID.
Guess what. That form of ID, is acceptable at the voting booth, just like a conceal carry license is.
It is acceptable for voting right now, yes.
Under photo ID voter laws, it is not because it is not government issued any more than your work id is government issued. I have no quarrel with voter ID laws that allow secondary identification issued under less stringent requirements, like student IDs. The vast majority do not allow that.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Your syntax and grammar usage were inconclusive.

Quote:
If I had three, I would have said, "I had an ID a student ID, and a voter registration card"
That is, essentially, what you said:
Quote:
I had an ID, a student ID and a voter registration card.
The comma between the 2nd and 3rd itemized object isn't grammatically necessary.

Example from accepted English grammar in journalism (courtesy of a CBS affiliate):
Quote:
"Game time at Huntington Park means fans, fun and food.

Popcorn, hotdogs, peanuts, cracker jacks and cotton candy are just some of the options."
Stadium Food Doesn

How your sentence should have been constructed to convey what you actually meant... "I had ID: a student ID and a voter registration card.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
No, it didn't require an ID or birth certificate to get them.
How did you get a student ID without an ID or a birth certificate?

Quote:
Again, I never had a government issued photo ID nor proof of birth beyond an abstract of birth. These were sufficient to enroll in school, lease an apartment, connect utilities, etc, but not to get government issued ID.
False, and I've already posted why that's false.

Quote:
Now, if I had not enrolled briefly in college and obtained a college ID, all of this would have been more difficult. But, I was able to enroll in college with my abstract of birth...
Ah... the truth comes out. You had a BC that is acceptable to obtain a US passport, as I've already posted.

No one buys your BS.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's actually called a certified COPY:
Birth Certificates

Indeed, they are acceptable for obtaining a passport. Both of my kids applied for and received their US passports with a certified copy of their BC that was an abstract. Why? THIS is what the abstract includes, in bold:
[/list] [/list]https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...irst-time.html

Example:
That is not an abstract of birth. An abstract of birth is a 8.5"x2.75" document issued during the 1980s and 1990s by certain states in place of birth certificates. No new ones have been issued since 2001. They only list the parents' surnnames, and not their full names. They do not carry the registrar's embossed, impressed, or multicolor seal.
(They always carry a single color flat version of the seal to differentiate them from what you are talking about.)
Nothing in the state department link indicates that an abstract of birth is acceptable.
Edit: Here are few images showing what an abstract of birth looks like, but I cannot find anything official:
http://33.media.tumblr.com/e960cfac8...2uh1qa72xx.jpg
http://38.media.tumblr.com/840922546...HyM1qa72xx.jpg

Feel free to check whatever source you want on this:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...for%20passport

Last edited by marigolds6; 03-13-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
That is not an abstract of birth. An abstract of birth is a 8.5"x2.75" document issued during the 1980s and 1990s by certain states in place of birth certificates.
False. A certified abstract is a certified short form BC. It contains all the info required to obtain a US passport, driver's license, etc. It's the certified BC described in the first descriptive paragraph, below, available for $10:
Quote:
Types of certificates available

Two types of birth certificates are available for legal purposes (travel, passport, proof of citizenship, Social Security, driver’s license, school registration, personal identification).

For $10 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate requested at the same time, you will obtain a birth certificate with the following items: child’s name, date of birth, sex, place of birth (city, county, state), mother/co-parent’s maiden name, mother/co-parent’s place of birth (state/country), mother/co-parent’s age, father/co-parent’s name, father/co-parent’s place of birth (state/country), father/co-parent’s age, file date, date issued, and, state file number.

For $15 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate requested at the same time, you will obtain a birth certificate with information collected at the time of your birth
Birth Records - Obtain a Birth Certificate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies