Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Then they should fight against that instead.

In this situation you will need someone else to confirm your identity.

I know that is a difficult situation, but I don't think this is the main scenario, and I think many people like that vote Republican. The main scenario when people lack ID is fraud, and people who have lost or not renewed their ID. Hence, demanding photo ID has a nice side benefit. People who have lost or have expired ID, will go out and get a new one. There are situations where having a photo ID is very useful.
The main scenario isn't fraud, it is elderly black people who were born outside hospitals and thus don't have birth certificates, something that used to be very common. That's who Republicans are targeting are when they institute voter ID laws.

The whole point, as proponents have openly admitted, is to suppress the vote from people who cast their ballots for Democrats. A little old black lady who now lives in Philadelphia but was born in the south is going to have a remarkably hard time getting a photo ID. She can't get a photo ID because she lacks a birth certificate. Getting Alabama - or whatever racist hellscape she came from - to give her one is going to be an expensive, frustrating, confusing, prolonged ordeal. End result? She doesn't get an ID, doesn't get to vote, and Republicans have successfully prevented a US citizen from casting a ballot that they knew was not likely to be in their favor.

We don't have to read the tea leaves to figure this out. Republican legislators have told us their intent is to suppress Democratic votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Democrats don't want photo ID because they know voter fraud benefits them the most. It's that simple.
Mmmm, yes. Yet voter fraud is virtually nil. You keep believing that little golden nugget though.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That is like saying that the Democrats don't want people to prove who they are when they vote, because they know that they highly benefit from voter fraud.

How does it hurt "poor minorities?"

Poor minorities need Photo ID to get food stamps, welfare, etc... A government photo ID is for free.

See you are falling for the GOP line ... there is VERY little voter fraud.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
IF the GOP really believed showing ID would cut out voting fraud, but that is NOT why they want voter ID laws, they want them to cut out poor minorities from voting.

Even as a "Liberal" I always thought it strange you can go vote and not have to prove who you say you are.
That is completely untrue. Do you have any evidence, solid, hard core evidence that shows that is exactly why the GOP wants voters to show ID?

Allow me to help you get started: wikipedia, blogs, op-eds, letters to the editor, someone on YouTube vlogging, "because that's what I heard", and other such "sources" are not valid sources. I want you to show me, in print, where someone from the GOP stated: "I want voter ID laws in order to prevent the minorities from voting". I want you to show me that the majority of the GOP has said that. I want actual proof that over 50% of the GOP has made those comments.

I'll wait.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:42 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Out of curiosity, for everyone commenting on here do you actually know what the rules are in your state?? I'm in Idaho and I looked ours up. For ID it gives all kinds of possibilities, utility bills, pay check stubs, bank statements. Looking at that list I think anyone here could find a way to identify themselves. I have shown my drivers license and have no problem having to do so, but never realized until know that by Idaho standards it would pretty hard not to be able to identify yourself.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
IF the GOP really believed showing ID would cut out voting fraud, but that is NOT why they want voter ID laws, they want them to cut out poor minorities from voting.

Even as a "Liberal" I always thought it strange you can go vote and not have to prove who you say you are.
It is comfounding that there are people who have such low disregard for the sanctity of the vote that they would welcome fraud with open arms.

Incomprehensible that someone would think 'voting' would be the only activity that was free from fraud.

Dems continue to throw away out vote for the sake of an indefensible argument that repubs want to suprees the vote. Voter suppression is what the obama did in 2012 by weaponizing federal agencies to supress the conservative vote.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Voter suppression is what the obama did in 2012 by weaponizing federal agencies to supress the conservative vote.
Uh, what? Please explain.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

Even the poor, have to cash their welfare checks, with proper ID.

The federal government does not run voting. They have only said, if there is a vote to be taken, no one of voting age can be denied. The constitution does not give them that authority. It does not say citizen, either. It says, we the people. Wrap your head around that text.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
If they don't like something, then it's unconstitutional. That's how it works.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:32 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
In regards to the voting identification process, no Democrat Truly Believes "You shouldn't have to show a photo ID to exercise a Constitutional Right." Yet we constantly hear Democrats of all sorts from Debbie Wasserman-Shultz, to elected officials, to Democrat TV pundits, to the posters on here using this line.

Why do so many Democrats keep repeating this line, considering that virtually none of them actually believe it.

If Democrats did truly in fact believe in that principle, where are they on these other issues?

-2nd Amendment is a Constitutional Right, yet I must identify who I am at the time of purchasing a gun. In fact, Democrats argue to expand this.

-The US Supreme Court has declared that the right to free travel is a constitutionally protected right. When I re-enter the country I must prove who I am.

-The US Supreme Court has declared that it is a constitutional right to obtain a passport as I have the right to free travel, assuming that I have not been duly convicted of something that would bar me from obtaining it...when I got my passport, I had to prove who I am.

-I have a constitutional right to run for office, yet when I go to fill out the forms, I must prove who I am.

Virtually no one believes that a constitutional right can't require people to be identified in exercising that right.....so can we quit the cute soundbite that sounds good and fools the gullible that haven't thought through the issue?
Mr. Scalia's Ghost, aka Mr. Strict Constructionist, where does it say in the Constitution about a photo ID? I don't believe that but y'all do. When it's convenient, at least.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies