Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

In regards to the voting identification process, no Democrat Truly Believes "You shouldn't have to show a photo ID to exercise a Constitutional Right." Yet we constantly hear Democrats of all sorts from Debbie Wasserman-Shultz, to elected officials, to Democrat TV pundits, to the posters on here using this line.

Why do so many Democrats keep repeating this line, considering that virtually none of them actually believe it.

If Democrats did truly in fact believe in that principle, where are they on these other issues?

-2nd Amendment is a Constitutional Right, yet I must identify who I am at the time of purchasing a gun. In fact, Democrats argue to expand this.

-The US Supreme Court has declared that the right to free travel is a constitutionally protected right. When I re-enter the country I must prove who I am.

-The US Supreme Court has declared that it is a constitutional right to obtain a passport as I have the right to free travel, assuming that I have not been duly convicted of something that would bar me from obtaining it...when I got my passport, I had to prove who I am.

-I have a constitutional right to run for office, yet when I go to fill out the forms, I must prove who I am.

Virtually no one believes that a constitutional right can't require people to be identified in exercising that right.....so can we quit the cute soundbite that sounds good and fools the gullible that haven't thought through the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
It is just a feel good law, pass it to make yourself feel good, but don't expect it to actually do anything to prevent fraud.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
IF the GOP really believed showing ID would cut out voting fraud, but that is NOT why they want voter ID laws, they want them to cut out poor minorities from voting.

Even as a "Liberal" I always thought it strange you can go vote and not have to prove who you say you are.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:46 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
IF the GOP really believed showing ID would cut out voting fraud, but that is NOT why they want voter ID laws, they want them to cut out poor minorities from voting.

Even as a "Liberal" I always thought it strange you can go vote and not have to prove who you say you are.
That is like saying that the Democrats don't want people to prove who they are when they vote, because they know that they highly benefit from voter fraud.

How does it hurt "poor minorities?"

Poor minorities need Photo ID to get food stamps, welfare, etc... A government photo ID is for free.

Do you argue that gun background checks prevent minorities from buying guns? The having driving licences prevents blacks from driving? That having passports prevents blacks from traveling? That requiring photo ID to run for office is racist in nature?

The bottom line is so many Democrats keep repeating the lie that "you shouldn't need to ID yourself when you exercise your constitutional rights." Virtually no democrats truly believes that BS, or else they would be protesting gun background checks, the very existence of passports, etc...

Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
ID isn't the problem. Making people jump through ridiculous hoops to get one is. Giving them little time to get it done is an even bigger problem.

Take Texas, for example. Say you live in some border town and were born on a ranch and thus don't have a birth certificate. Let's say you want to get a photo ID. Okay, great. You need to get someone to drive you 100+ miles to the nearest DPS office and stand in line. Only once you get there, you can't get an ID because you don't have a birth certificate. So, you set about trying to get a birth certificate. Except that won't work either, because you need a photo ID in order to get the birth certificate.

Happen to be from Puerto Rico? Even if you *have* your birth certificate, you're still screwed because they all expired in 2010 and you've got to pay $5 and provide photo ID to get a new one.

These are not insurmountable problems, but if you want to restrict a right as fundamental as voting, you've got to fix those problems first. You need to make sure the ID is actually obtainable, really free (otherwise you're just instituting a poll tax), and give people sufficient time to navigate through the system and get the necessary paperwork together.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That is like saying that the Democrats don't want people to prove who they are when they vote, because they know that they highly benefit from voter fraud.

Poor minorities need Photo ID to get food stamps, welfare, etc... A government photo ID is for free.

Do you argue that gun background checks prevent minorities from buying guns? The having driving licences prevents blacks from driving? That having passports prevents blacks from traveling? That requiring photo ID to run for office is racist in nature?

The bottom line is so many Democrats keep repeating the lie that "you shouldn't need to ID yourself when you exercise your constitutional rights." Virtually no democrats truly believes that BS, or else they would be protesting gun background checks, the very existence of passports, etc...
I dont believe that even you believe what you just typed. And I mean that in the context of personal beliefs.

one can indeed believe that you shouldnt have to show an ID to vote( since you had to be positively ID'd when you registered and also believe that you need an ID to get a Gun.

Even within the context of your example, the 1 to 1 comparison would actually be the exercising of that right ( you going to a gun range and being ID'd ) rather than the point of sale.

I also dont believe your extended comment about "poor minorities". While I honestly dont believe you read half the content of the links you post, im guessing you have still come across a good chunk of material that tells you just how Voter ID hurts minorities and poor people.

it seems to me that what you are actually saying is "oh well, if they want to vote, no sacrifice is to great"

Old 02-28-2016, 10:35 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
ID isn't the problem. Making people jump through ridiculous hoops to get one is. Giving them little time to get it done is an even bigger problem.
Then they should fight against that instead.

Quote:
Take Texas, for example. Say you live in some border town and were born on a ranch and thus don't have a birth certificate. Let's say you want to get a photo ID. Okay, great. You need to get someone to drive you 100+ miles to the nearest DPS office and stand in line. Only once you get there, you can't get an ID because you don't have a birth certificate. So, you set about trying to get a birth certificate. Except that won't work either, because you need a photo ID in order to get the birth certificate.
In this situation you will need someone else to confirm your identity.

I know that is a difficult situation, but I don't think this is the main scenario, and I think many people like that vote Republican. The main scenario when people lack ID is fraud, and people who have lost or not renewed their ID. Hence, demanding photo ID has a nice side benefit. People who have lost or have expired ID, will go out and get a new one. There are situations where having a photo ID is very useful.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Your first sentence is a very stupid statement especially when in the 2012 election all the voter fraud, what little there was, that was found to benefit Republicans. Please show me all the voter fraud that is so rampant in this country that Republicans say we need an ID. We have been voting in national elections for hundreds of years. Please also show me a national election or regional where a candidate won because of voter fraud?

By the way, buying a gun is not a guaranteed right, owning one is but not buying.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Democrats don't want photo ID because they know voter fraud benefits them the most. It's that simple.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Democrats don't want photo ID because they know voter fraud benefits them the most. It's that simple.
You may wish to read this on voter fraud.
Who Can Vote? - A News21 2012 National Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies