Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 02:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno;43189946

I am currently working on a grant that addresses out of school youth getting into an IT, Healthcare, or Manufacturing certificate program, so they can at least get an entry level job in these fields.

[URL="http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/slideshows/us-news-best-high-schools-for-stem/1?int=a70609"
2015 Best High Schools for STEM - US News[/url]
A complete waste of money.

IT requires a CS degree for all but the most driven autistic people that can teach themselves an immense amount of knowledge over a period of many, many years. It's rare, and a certificate won't matter.

Healthcare requires university degrees of various sorts. The jobs that do not, which are rare and all administrative, already have training programs. In no economy has a "manufacturing" certificate ever been a thing. You go to the factory, get hired, and they teach you the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
True but the bar most are looking at is a BS degree.

Go to a CC site and look up the 1 year cert for web design. One Math class with 0 science classes.
So even your low B, high C student could achieve that.
And there are jobs out there for them.

No, there aren't.

Not for what you would learn in that one year.

No one is hiring people who just know HTML and CSS.

There are more art school grads with high level pure design skills than the market can absorb.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Depends on what "tech" your talking about. The computer an IT industries are not all that is Stem. I'm an Engineer in the defense industry and we have as many blacks as Asians and hardly any Indians. When I worked in Michigan for a big 3 we had 10 times the amount blacks as all Asians combined. We also had quite a few Middle Eastern people, so it's sometimes regional.
That's precisely because of over-zealous Federal AA mandates that will do whatever it takes to pluck all of the Blacks out of the hiring pool in front of everyone else.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:33 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
A complete waste of money.

IT requires a CS degree for all but the most driven autistic people that can teach themselves an immense amount of knowledge over a period of many, many years. It's rare, and a certificate won't matter.

I guess the Navy does not realize that a bachelor's degree is required to learn how to code, as they have taught hundreds and hundreds of high school graduates how to program.

Quote:
Healthcare requires university degrees of various sorts. The jobs that do not, which are rare and all administrative, already have training programs. In no economy has a "manufacturing" certificate ever been a thing. You go to the factory, get hired, and they teach you the job.

Yet, I know a community college that provides a "Laborer" Associate Degree. Struck me as odd, but when I looked at the curriculum, I saw that it had some real meat in it.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, that's maybe 5% of the US population.
If you're lucky.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The attempts to "fix" the problem by encouraging black highschool students to go into these majors in college is a load of crap IMO.

You have got to get to the kids at a much much younger age and get them interested in math, physics etc. with things like the Lego robotics programs and other things.

Trying to turn a kid with mediocre math and science backgrounds into engineering majors etc. at the age of 17-18 is going to fail. Most of the kids in those fields are coming out of magnet highschools, have 20-30 AP credits and have already have calc 1 if not Calc 1-3 completed. They are going to be in a world of hurt just catching up.

If the govt. wants to put money into fixing this imbalance they need to target gradeschools not highschools imo.
We just need more private schools in the black community that prioritizes STEM. This is one of the main reasons why I think libertarian ideology is probably going to be the best for blacks. If black parents could take their money out of the public schools, and put it into private schools, then we'd see the overall standard for blacks continue to grow.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
That's precisely because of over-zealous Federal AA mandates that will do whatever it takes to pluck all of the Blacks out of the hiring pool in front of everyone else.
People keep talking about this, but somehow that AA job guarantee has always eluded members of my family.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I guess the Navy does not realize that a bachelor's degree is required to learn how to code, as they have taught hundreds and hundreds of high school graduates how to program.

Military training is a different beast entirely. That's not what was offered by the poster I quoted.

And military coding is extremely job specific. It doesn't make you suitable for any other type of coding job, but those jobs do sometimes exist for private military contractors.

It certainly doesn't train you to think like a software engineer, which is the qualification of truly qualified coders.

I know military men who were trained in tech skills, and if they are smart they are also completing a university degree in the tech field that they want to work in after they are discharged.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
We just need more private schools in the black community that prioritizes STEM. This is one of the main reasons why I think libertarian ideology is probably going to be the best for blacks. If black parents could take their money out of the public schools, and put it into private schools, then we'd see the overall standard for blacks continue to grow.
Black parents who have any money to "take out" of public schools have already moved to upper income suburbs that have better schools.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
People keep talking about this, but somehow that AA job guarantee has always eluded members of my family.
I didn't say it was a guarantee. You still have to be competitive in the job pool of AA candidates.

However, that's what the high proportion of Blacks in the Federal government employment is; well above their population proportion let alone their proportion of the tech field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies