Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,538,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
A complete waste of money.

IT requires a CS degree for all but the most driven autistic people that can teach themselves an immense amount of knowledge over a period of many, many years. It's rare, and a certificate won't matter.

Healthcare requires university degrees of various sorts. The jobs that do not, which are rare and all administrative, already have training programs. In no economy has a "manufacturing" certificate ever been a thing. You go to the factory, get hired, and they teach you the job.
We have a wealth of employers that are working with us to get this grant, so they can get people trained and hired. Eventually, we hope that many of them will continue to follow the career pathway and get additional certificates or a degree to get promotions and higher paid positions. This is the goal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,538,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
A complete waste of money.

IT requires a CS degree for all but the most driven autistic people that can teach themselves an immense amount of knowledge over a period of many, many years. It's rare, and a certificate won't matter.

Healthcare requires university degrees of various sorts. The jobs that do not, which are rare and all administrative, already have training programs. In no economy has a "manufacturing" certificate ever been a thing. You go to the factory, get hired, and they teach you the job.

One that provides training for the Grant providers: Skills Certification - The Manufacturing Institute

There are many others, and most of these grants are given based on relationships with employers who approve the training and offer employment, OJL, and Internships.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,518,203 times
There are an endless supplies of Indians for tech jobs.

Don't waste you time and money.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,569,624 times
Walter Williams discusses blacks and economics. Very good interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7but...KBtTLWwgvuEVfw

Old 03-04-2016, 03:00 PM

921 posts, read 1,129,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting article. It seerms that not enough black students are choosing the college majors that lead to higher paying jobs. The article points out how this contributes to the racial income gap.

African-Americans over-represented among low-paying college majors | PBS NewsHour
A lot of times, this has something to do with what the society offers. For example, in neighborhoods where the black population is greater than any other, all you see are banners advertising "For Profit" institutions such as: Med Tech, Strayer University, and Lincoln Tech. I grew-up in a middle income highly populated Black neighborhood & when I graduated high school, some of the adults in my community asked me why did I want to go to Georgetown University instead of Strayer or Med Tech. They thought it was a quicker way to get a job. I responded by saying I didn't just want a job, I wanted a career!

Steve Harvey and an lot of other famous black stars are advertising those "for profit" schools, so folks think it's cool to attend & they're unaware that not only are the majors offered those schools at the bottom of the pay scale, those schools also receive commission by enrolling large amounts of students with high interest-rate loans. Sometimes those non-accredited, for-profit institutions cost more than the top Universities in the US! In the end, graduates from those types of schools are stuck with large student loans and low-paid salaries!

I now tell my 16 year-old cousin to beware of those easy-to enroll institutions when you graduate high school because you'll lose a lot in the end!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,550,293 times
Lots of blacks and other minorities are stuck in lousy schools in most of our major cities and cannot get the proper education required for those high-paying jobs because very few of their teachers have degrees in any of the STEM disciplines.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Lots of blacks and other minorities are stuck in lousy schools in most of our major cities and cannot get the proper education required for those high-paying jobs because very few of their teachers have degrees in any of the STEM disciplines.
Elementary and secondary teachers seldom do anywhere.

But a problem I detected back in the 90s when Californian began mandatory testing of school teachers: They were flunking even basic STEM testing--high-school level geometry and algebra, for instance--and complaining "I'm an English teacher not a math teacher, why should I be tested in math competency?"

The problem is: As high school faculty, they're supposed to be supporting a curriculum that is teaching high-school math to students, few of whom expect to be math teachers.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:43 PM

854 posts, read 583,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
It isn't. STEM is overwhelmingly Asian.

I actually think this is the main reason for the discrepancy. Can't speak for the US, but in Canada, the social distance between blacks and Asians is huge. Black people will hang with other blacks, and they'll hang with whites (the tokens), but they will actively avoid going places where there are a lot of Asians. Whites will do this too, but not to the same degree that blacks will.

I would imagine this applies to schools and majors as well.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,569,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I actually think this is the main reason for the discrepancy. Can't speak for the US, but in Canada, the social distance between blacks and Asians is huge. Black people will hang with other blacks, and they'll hang with whites (the tokens), but they will actively avoid going places where there are a lot of Asians. Whites will do this too, but not to the same degree that blacks will.

I would imagine this applies to schools and majors as well.
I think Asians tend to avoid black people. But the reason for Asians in STEM is cultural. They're generally told by their family what they should study.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:07 PM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times
I am kind of mixed on this. I do feel that more Blacks need to go into the STEM majors and do well. Lucrative careers can be had from that. On the other hand, even in the STEM fields, Blacks still face more scrutiny. Blacks who graduate with STEM degrees still have higher unemployment rates than other ethnicities with STEM degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies