Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Congress and the President are *supposed* to put the brakes on each other. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

There have been times in American history when corruption was worse than it is now. I'd love to see corporate influence dialed back, but politics is about influence and power, and money has always played a role. I don't see any way around that as long as humans are involved in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 AM

228 posts, read 112,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Congress and the President are *supposed* to put the brakes on each other. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

There have been times in American history when corruption was worse than it is now. I'd love to see corporate influence dialed back, but politics is about influence and power, and money has always played a role. I don't see any way around that as long as humans are involved in the process.

Make it illegal for businesses and organizations to make donations to politicians and their foundations.

Install harsh punishments for said crime.

Remove all politicians from office and have new elections with said new feature.

Complete revamp and overall.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20cordy16 View Post
I would suggest a few things.

1.Cut the umbilical cord to corporate welfare.
2.End lobbyist influence.
3.Deregulate corporations and consumer laws.

You want corporations to be independent of congress, no ties that creates an open door. Let them stand alone deregulated. Let consumers sue their socks off when they do a harm, to the point of even being rewarded their businesses, turning it over.

Once you eliminate corporations, representatives will have no choice but to serve the people.
Government would already set corporate policy. No need for any ties.

Whats must be done.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
A good start would be term limits for Congress and, if we had a wish list, to pass a law making it illegal for the House and Senate to accept money or anything else for their vote for or against a bill.

Two examples I can think of: Some years ago Pelosi's husband got a sweet deal from credit card company lobbyists in exchange for Pelosi killing a bill that would help citizens and hurt the credit card companies. Another example, and the one that was the last straw for me, was that the House got millions of dollars for passing the fast track deal. That showed me there is no one, not one, that will stand up for the American people.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
A good start would be term limits for Congress and, if we had a wish list, to pass a law making it illegal for the House and Senate to accept money or anything else for their vote for or against a bill.

Two examples I can think of: Some years ago Pelosi's husband got a sweet deal from credit card company lobbyists in exchange for Pelosi killing a bill that would help citizens and hurt the credit card companies. Another example, and the one that was the last straw for me, was that the House got millions of dollars for passing the fast track deal. That showed me there is no one, not one, that will stand up for the American people.
The whole thing is a complete sham. I am amazed people accept this or are ignorant to this.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medellin Paisa View Post
Make it illegal for businesses and organizations to make donations to politicians and their foundations.

Install harsh punishments for said crime.

Remove all politicians from office and have new elections with said new feature.

Complete revamp and overall.

Uh...no.... That's not how we do things here. Not gonna happen; wouldn't be prudent.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Uh...no.... That's not how we do things here. Not gonna happen; wouldn't be prudent.
Yea we should just keep out corrupt current system.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:00 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medellin Paisa View Post
Tried what exactly?

Your plan...

The History Place - World War II in Europe Timeline: March 23, 1933 - Reichstag passes Enabling Act

Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 AM

I never gave a plan prior to you making that comment / quote.

Just clicked that link. I am not for any dictatorship.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Unfortunately, the American people usually vote for the candidate that has the most lobbyist-funded commercials, not the one who is beholden to the voters. That's OUR fault.
Jeb Bush thinks your analysis is quite astute....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies