Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Of course "we the people" are what allows government to exist. Also of course, our founding fathers attempted to create a government that would serve "we the people," as Abraham Lincoln also explained...

"and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Think as you do, of course, we all have that freedom too, but your ongoing efforts to pit "we the people" against the American government strikes me an awful lot like what a radical seditionist is always inclined to do.

"Balance is key" my friend. Extremism is more the problem these days. Careful not to over do...

That is all well and good, if the contract that preserves that aspect, had not been tread upon many times and not by, We The People.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
We could elect more responsible Congresspeople. Unfortunately, the American people usually vote for the candidate that has the most lobbyist-funded commercials, not the one who is beholden to the voters. That's OUR fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Change and progress comes from the people, not from government, trying to control the people.
When it comes from the government, the only thing government can do, is change the constitution, in their vision of progress, without amendments. Legislation with a stacked Supreme Court is all that is needed to change the text of the constitution, without the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medellin Paisa View Post
When did the "voters" decide it's ok for companies and organizations to make large donations to politicians?....
Every single time there's an election. The voters are the ones who vote in who sits in Congress. How you vote, how someone else votes, how someone else decides not to vote is "when the voters decided it was 'ok'".

Quote:
We Americans are dumb sheep. Until someone educates, motivates, angers, and rallies the People, nothing will change and someone voting 3rd party is only a waste of time (for now).
FANTASTIC! You just answered your own question that you posted in the OP.

Quote:
How, why, and when did the American people become ok with and allow big money to influence politics?

Mind blowing honestly.
Again, every single time that they vote. Every single time that they choose not to educate themselves about politics. Every single time someone says, "I don't care about politics". Every single time someone goes to the voting booth without having a clue who they are voting for or why. Every single time someone casts a vote because of a person's name, how they look in a suit, whether or not he's funny on a late night talk show, and the biggest killer: every time they listen to every other uneducated moron out there who slurps up what the media is selling, and tweets it, posts it, shares it, repeats it thousands and thousands of times....that's 'how, why, and when' it happened.

You want to make change? Start from local and work your way up. Take the time to turn off the bs media and actually study what each candidate believes. Follow them as closely as you would your favorite sports team or idiotic celebrity. Listen to both sides, not just the side you agree with. When you see a story, dig deeper to find the truth, instead of taking everything at face value. Get your friends involved. Help them to understand that it actually IS important to vote. If the ones you voted in aren't doing it for you, vote them out the next time around. Understand that money and gifts talk. Understand that businesses want the most that they can get. Understand the power of persuasion. Understand how to make deals. Understand current events, especially local. Gather you and a bunch of people you know and trust and work your way in to a lobbyist position for an organization yourself. Become better at it than anyone else.

Or sit on a forum and ask the same questions over and over despite the answers that you have been given. As was mentioned to you before, there's a reason that we have three branches of government. At no time should anyone have ultimate power. Ever.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
My Congressman isn't corrupt and he votes ~95% the way I want him to. I'll keep voting for him until he doesn't want to run anymore.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All that also explains why we also end up with what is essentially ONLY a two-party system and/or why we are essentially forced to vote either Democrat or Republican. You veer from either of those two choices, and you essentially undermine the chances of whichever side (Democrat or Republican) you would have chosen instead. Like Nader did for example, giving Bush the win over Gore (even though Nader and his supporters did not want Bush rather than Gore).

Then the people have to change the party, one or the other. You see that happening on both sides of the road, now. People get PO'ed and the entire party can change. Democrat or Republican. Notice how since 2008, the progressive establishment has been getting pushed on? It has increased so much, the Progressive establishment in one of the parties has been silenced. The Ron Paul Revolution lives on in both parties today. More people are fed up with the Establishment government ruling class, backed by the very Federal Reserve that allows all this to happen to the people. The 16th Amendment was governments chain and shackles on the people, that never existed before and could not exist, if we the people we to remain free from government oppression.

It has happened several times. The direction of each party is much different than they first started as.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 AM

228 posts, read 112,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
My Congressman isn't corrupt and he votes ~95% the way I want him to. I'll keep voting for him until he doesn't want to run anymore.
You don't make it far in politics without "playing the game". My Uncle was a country commissioner and good lord the things he tells me. That is on a small local scale. Just imagine all the wheeling and dealing and the sum of benefits and money at the highest levels of politics.

Id wager the farm that your Senator is not a clean as you think.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Every single time there's an election. The voters are the ones who vote in who sits in Congress. How you vote, how someone else votes, how someone else decides not to vote is "when the voters decided it was 'ok'".

FANTASTIC! You just answered your own question that you posted in the OP.

Again, every single time that they vote. Every single time that they choose not to educate themselves about politics. Every single time someone says, "I don't care about politics". Every single time someone goes to the voting booth without having a clue who they are voting for or why. Every single time someone casts a vote because of a person's name, how they look in a suit, whether or not he's funny on a late night talk show, and the biggest killer: every time they listen to every other uneducated moron out there who slurps up what the media is selling, and tweets it, posts it, shares it, repeats it thousands and thousands of times....that's 'how, why, and when' it happened.

You want to make change? Start from local and work your way up. Take the time to turn off the bs media and actually study what each candidate believes. Follow them as closely as you would your favorite sports team or idiotic celebrity. Listen to both sides, not just the side you agree with. When you see a story, dig deeper to find the truth, instead of taking everything at face value. Get your friends involved. Help them to understand that it actually IS important to vote. If the ones you voted in aren't doing it for you, vote them out the next time around. Understand that money and gifts talk. Understand that businesses want the most that they can get. Understand the power of persuasion. Understand how to make deals. Understand current events, especially local. Gather you and a bunch of people you know and trust and work your way in to a lobbyist position for an organization yourself. Become better at it than anyone else.

Or sit on a forum and ask the same questions over and over despite the answers that you have been given. As was mentioned to you before, there's a reason that we have three branches of government. At no time should anyone have ultimate power. Ever.
Voting in officials is not actually voting for policies. The officials do not have to actually do anything. And most never make good on any promises.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You don't make it far in politics without "playing the game". My Uncle was a country commissioner and good lord the things he tells me. That is on a small local scale. Just imagine all the wheeling and dealing and the sum of benefits and money at the highest levels of politics.

Id wager the farm that your Senator is not a clean as you think.

There are very good reasons, few in Washington, like Ted Cruz, or the former Congressman, Ron Paul.
Because they felt the Constitution, is not a game to compromise.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
You would lose the farm.

My Congressman is not corrupt. My Senators are not corrupt, however, one is certainly a 'wheeler dealer' who won his primary yesterday and will win the general election in November.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Voting in officials is not actually voting for policies. The officials do not have to actually do anything. And most never make good on any promises.
Did you even read everything that I wrote? No, you didn't. That was covered.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Did you even read everything that I wrote? No, you didn't. That was covered.
No I read it. And just read it again for good measure.

Comment still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies