Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:00 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Jim Wright, 90-year-old former Speaker of the House, was denied a voter id card last year because he had let his drivers license expire."

As many on the left say about Shumer and Reid's statements about blocking ANY SC nominee in an election cycle, "Because nothing happened, what they said they would do doesn't count.

Jim wright DIED in May of last year so, he didn't need a voter ID anyway.
The article said he was denied it last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Right..it had expired in 2010 and he tried to use it in 2013.
He "forgot" that he didn't have a valid ID.

Sorry..his fault for not getting a valid ID to vote.
And him, an ex politician no less.
"And him, an ex politician no less."

Not JUST any ole politician. He was the Speaker of the House.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This is the first presidential election since the law was passed. Many remote rural areas no longer have print newspaper delivery so it's entirely possible they didn't know the details of law until they went to vote.
They may or may not have known they'd need to show ID; they may or may not have known that it mattered that the names didn't exactly match, like the poor young woman in the article who was done in by a missing hyphen and an extra "L" typo.

Regardless, your and my opinions are both irrelevant. The federal court has found it unconstitutional and the appeal to the Supreme Court is pending.
" it's entirely possible they didn't know the details of law until they went to vote."

As has been said by many a police officer, "Ignorance of the law is NO excuse".

Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If people still don't have ID's to vote by now then maybe they shouldn't be voting.
Getting turned away each election should be sending them a message ?
Counties sending out postcards informing registered voters of the ID law are being ignored by them ?

How does latest federal ruling affect Texas' voter ID law?
The 2014 district court ruling struck down Texas' voter ID law, but it came just days before the November election. To avoid confusion, the U.S. Supreme Court declared that elections should go forward under the law, and it remains enforced today. Texas, meanwhile, appealed the District Court decision to the 5th Circuit, prompting Wednesday's ruling. Even with the case ongoing, Texas has now conducted three statewide elections under the voter ID law. While there have been anecdotal reports of confusion, there were not widespread issues with voters being unable to cast ballots because they lacked proper identification.
"Counties sending out postcards informing registered voters of the ID law are being ignored by them ?"

In addition to the post card I received, for the past 2 ELECTIONS, when I present myself to the voter working we were TOLD that in 2016 a valid photo ID will be required.

As long as this has been a story in Texas if ANYONE WASN'T aware of the new ID requirements, they shouldn't be voting anyway.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:20 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I guess I am one of those that think that, if one has registered to vote, then said registration ought to be enough to cast a vote, especially in the November presidential elections.

I am not that concerned about the primaries held by the two parties. If said Democratic and Republican parties wish to hold primary elections (which are not Constitutionally mandated, but created by said Parties solely as a vehicle to choose whom will represent each party in the November Presidential election), and wish to demand picture ID to take part in the primary, so be it. If someone showed up yesterday and was told they could not participate in either primary (in Texas) despite having a registration card, they can certainly exercise their right to vote in November.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
As an independent I am disenfranchised from not being able to vote in an open primary in Pa. We haven't voted yet but I'd like to have a say in having the best candidates either party can put forth.
My 80 plus year old mother doesn't drive but has a photo ID card and has to show it all the time for medical appointments. I don't see any problem with having to show ID unless you can't get it( not a citizen, trying to vote but not registered and trying to vote multiple times).

Old 03-02-2016, 06:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Showing a drivers license (or other government issued photo ID such as a State issued ID card, Passport or Military ID) is the whole purpose of voter ID laws. They replace your paper voter registration card.

Even a Conceal Carry License, worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies