Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 AM

228 posts, read 112,394 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, even if we managed to elect a non corrupt non establishment President not beholden to big money, special interests, etc. He still wouldn't be able to do anything because non of his proposals would make it past the Congress who is in bed with the devil. This really killed my buzz and excitement about this election.

However, it got me thinking. How can a President circumvent this issue. Here is what I came up with.

Hold a major press conference in which he outlines his proposal to the American people. He announces a day in which the country will vote on said proposal. Assuming the American people vote for said proposal, the President uses Executive Orders to put in place these policies.

The Supreme Court's hands will effectively be tied due to it being the will of the people.

Now, I am seeing some conflicting stuff on executive order limitations. If something can not be enacted, you could still have the vote and effectively force Congress to pass said Bill. If they don't I imagine it would be a large scandal.

This seems like a wild idea, but it just might be plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM

Need a true Democracy if one can't insure purity in politics.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
you seem to be forgetting a little thing called the constitution. you want a dictator instead of a president. sorry but your ideas wont fly.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you seem to be forgetting a little thing called the constitution. you want a dictator instead of a president. sorry but your ideas wont fly.
When did Dictators only make and initiate policies voted on my the people?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medellin Paisa View Post
When did Dictators only make and initiate policies voted on my the people?
oh so you want a dictator running a pure democracy? that cant be done either. with the amount of things that need decisions daily, the people would essentially be just voting every day and nothing would ever get done except voting.

this is why the founding fathers set up a REPUBLIC instead of a democracy. like i say, read up on the constitution you might get an education.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
oh so you want a dictator running a pure democracy? that cant be done either. with the amount of things that need decisions daily, the people would essentially be just voting every day and nothing would ever get done except voting.

this is why the founding fathers set up a REPUBLIC instead of a democracy. like i say, read up on the constitution you might get an education.
No, I only mean for major policies ie like healthcare etc. Not everyday little nuances.

I am for a hybrid democracy / republic.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
No, I only mean for major policies ie like healthcare etc. Not everyday little nuances.

I am for a hybrid democracy / republic.
you still dont get it do you? we have three branches of government for a reason. and that is to provide checks and balances to prevent one branch from gaining too much power.

and you still cant have the public at large just voting on big pieces of national legislation, because once again you would have people just basically voting everyday and getting nothing else done. take health care for instance, that wasnt just one vote, but rather several once all the amendments and procedural votes were done. and then there is the debate phase where everyone decides what is going to be included in the legislation, and voting on little bits of the bill until such time as you get complete bill, and then the debate on that, until such time as you finally get a bill to present to the voters as a whole.

sorry but you need lessons in how government works.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
you still dont get it do you? we have three branches of government for a reason. and that is to provide checks and balances to prevent one branch from gaining too much power.

You still dont get it. The Government is corrupt and spawns of their money masters. Under a pure honest system it works. But not ours.

and you still cant have the public at large just voting on big pieces of national legislation, because once again you would have people just basically voting everyday and getting nothing else done. take health care for instance, that wasnt just one vote, but rather several once all the amendments and procedural votes were done. and then there is the debate phase where everyone decides what is going to be included in the legislation, and voting on little bits of the bill until such time as you get complete bill, and then the debate on that, until such time as you finally get a bill to present to the voters as a whole.

I am only talking about MAJOR policies that significantly affect Americans ie healthcare would be a good example. Your example is flawed in that my scenario excludes Congress the the drafting and amending process. Remember they are corrupt and don't have the people's interests at heart.

sorry but you need lessons in how government works.

OREILY lol

Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM

the problem is that YOU dont get it. yes our government is corrupt, but then we will NEVER have a perfect government because we have one problem, we elect human beings to office, and no human being is perfect, and thus ALL human beings are corruptible.

as the saying goes, "power corrupts. and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court's hands will effectively be tied due to it being the will of the people.
Not if it does its job they won't, the will of the people should have no bearing on whether or not a law is Constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies