Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:44 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I might already be eligible for citizenship, since my mother was born there. I'd be in Canada already if I hadn't fallen in love and married someone here in the US.

Damn love...always muddles things up.
Yup.
I was serious about a Canadian gal for quite a long time, and I once looked into getting a long-term visa so I could move up there for a couple of years. The long-distance nature of our relationship was very hard on us both, and broke us up in the end.

In my case, getting a 2-year visa wouldn't have been hard, as I dropped into several of the 'hot list' of desirable aliens back then (about 8 years ago now). Canada had a list of immigrants that have skills the nation wanted at that time.

I went so far as to talk to a local official about it, as I was looking at moving into eastern B.C. The Kooteney region in the Canadian Rockies. A 'city' there can be 20,000 people or less.
He though I would have no problems at all, and my financial situation then was a lot shakier than it is now.

I like British Columbia a lot and never had any problems there as an American. Being from Idaho, the difference between the two countries isn't as large there as it might be in other areas.

The one thing I learned real fast was to drop all notions of American superiority. Canada is deeply proud, and they all know what's going on down here much more than we know about them. After I took a little time and learned what is important to them, and could talk a bit about it, it was all good.

I don't know much about Mexico, but I have a couple of friends who have bought a place down there. One in particular has lived half the year in a border state for almost 20 years now, and he loves it there. The other has only spent his winters there for a few years, and he likes the winter fishing, but hasn't become as immersed in the culture as the first guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:01 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Canadians do not want you there. They also don't tolerate illegals like we do. Moving to Canada is not an option, especially for Americans. A Syrian refugee has a better chance of moving to Canada than does an American. No nation wants Americans moving there, unless of course you have a large bank account. That includes nations we see as friendly nations, like Canada.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:09 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattie View Post
I hope most of you on this thread are teens or young adults because your replies are frighteningly ignorant. Every thread I have seen posted about Canada on citydata has been ignorant and rude. I am Canadian and this just makes me grit my teeth.

Let us get a few things straight, you can not just move to Canada. If you meet our criteria for immigration the wait list is two years to be approved and there are many applicants.
According to our liberal contingent you are a racist, ethnocentristic and a xenophobe.

So what happens to someone who sneaks into Canada?
Does the government give them rights, money, forgives crimes and a place to stay?

Can I bring in a semi automatic remington wingmaster?

Old 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
I am a Canadian. I don't know why anyone in this thread, including other Canadians, presume to feel that they have a right to speak for me about what my views are on anything. They don't.

//www.city-data.com/forum/42944290-post1304.html

And Tattie, the comment that Americans are legally barred from Canada is ludicrous.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 AM

525 posts, read 453,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattie View Post
^ Americans scare the Hell outta of me. They are never being let into
Our country. Their religiously, racism, greed and stupid accents (sarry) will not be tolerated here in Canada.
As an immigrant, I have to say, Americans are awesome! Yes, there are some people who fit your description, but in a nation of 330 million people, there will always be a few rude ones. And while I hate what the US government is doing, it doesn't mean the people are bad. With all due respect, have you ever been to the US?

You posted earlier that you don't like the rude, ignorant things Americans post about Canada, but that post came off as rude and ignorant towards Americans IMO.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
My perspective on this. I was unemployed years ago. I strongly considered moving to Canada. I went online to see if I could qualify to immigrate to Canada from the USA. I wanted to get a work visa. I looked at jobs in Canada online. I found that most companies were inclined to hire Canadians first. Sure, I could technically get sponsored. However, most job postings I saw were not offering to sponsor anyone. Furthermore, with no full time job experience, that made the road more difficult. I was crushed to find that based on the requirements set to get a work visa in Canada, I could not get one easily. I am aware of how Canadian immigration works. There is a big preference for skilled persons. Okay.

Currently, I am employed in the USA.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Canadians do not want you there. They also don't tolerate illegals like we do. Moving to Canada is not an option, especially for Americans. A Syrian refugee has a better chance of moving to Canada than does an American. No nation wants Americans moving there, unless of course you have a large bank account. That includes nations we see as friendly nations, like Canada.
As I understand it Canada has two basic types of immigrants, one are for people fleeing war and various forms of danger to their person, and then we have the skilled class of immigrants looking for opportunity. Refugees and skilled immigrants, it's really pretty straight forward. We need people, a lot of people because the birth rate is about 75% of what it is in the US. It has nothing to do with not liking Americans, we have thousands of Americans here and they're all great people and we could always use more.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My perspective on this. I was unemployed years ago. I strongly considered moving to Canada. I went online to see if I could qualify to immigrate to Canada from the USA. I wanted to get a work visa. I looked at jobs in Canada online. I found that most companies were inclined to hire Canadians first. Sure, I could technically get sponsored. However, most job postings I saw were not offering to sponsor anyone. Furthermore, with no full time job experience, that made the road more difficult. I was crushed to find that based on the requirements set to get a work visa in Canada, I could not get one easily. I am aware of how Canadian immigration works. There is a big preference for skilled persons. Okay.

Currently, I am employed in the USA.
That is actually a requirement of the federal government upon Canadian employers.

It is quite parallel for Canadians desiring to work in the U.S.

The only ones given preferential treatment and encouraged to enter the U.S. on a whim and work, are Mexicans. Everyone else is required to follow the law, as they should be.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
How Do I Move to Canada? Guide if Trump Becomes President

Looks like people are really starting to get scared. I might run this search myself if another candidate happens to win.
Take a right, then another right, then another right and another right and keep going straight.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:46 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tl;dr: Americans are cursed untouchables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies