Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
That's why it's comical.
It comical to see any American make this silly claim. America has been continually trying to force its own style of freedom and democracy on other sovereign states by force since the Vietnam War. They bandy about screaming how America is the Land of the Free, pimp their President up as the so-called "Leader of the Free World" and proclaim that *everyone* should be so lucky as they are to live in such a wonderful democracy. Then when the next election doesn't seem to go exactly in their favour, they are willing to turn their back on all that pseudo-patriotic hypocritical bullsh*t and flee like cowards to Canada.

Guess what? If they can't remain loyal to their own Constitution, ideology and country through good times and bad, they will NEVER be loyal to ours. As such, we neither want nor need them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:43 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
It comical to see any American make this silly claim. America has been continually trying to force its own style of freedom and democracy on other sovereign states by force since the Vietnam War. They bandy about screaming how America is the Land of the Free, pimp their President up as the so-called "Leader of the Free World" and proclaim that *everyone* should be so lucky as they are to live in such a wonderful democracy. Then when the next election doesn't seem to go exactly in their favour, they are willing to turn their back on all that pseudo-patriotic hypocritical bullsh*t and flee like cowards to Canada.

Guess what? If they can't remain loyal to their own Constitution, ideology and country through good times and bad, they will NEVER be loyal to ours. As such, we neither want nor need them here.
I'm surprised to hear such a hard nosed stance toward Canada's neighbors coming from you.

I don't entirely disagree -- I'm not going to leave -- but I can understand why some people would feel tempted to do so. Even though I don't think Trump believes 3/4 of the garbage he spews, and I'm still not 100% convinced he's even a bonafide candidate (I keep hoping this is a grand social experiment on his part, and at the 11th hour, he'll come clean and tell us he was simply trying to prove a point), would YOU want to be faced with the prospect of 8 years of Trump as he presents himself? I mean, yeah, America will survive it, but it sure doesn't sound promising.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Well, how about this. What if Trump isn't elected president, would all those people who think this country is in the crapper because of Obama move to Canada? If Trump can't "Make America Great Again", would they stay?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm surprised to hear such a hard nosed stance toward Canada's neighbors coming from you.

I don't entirely disagree -- I'm not going to leave -- but I can understand why some people would feel tempted to do so. Even though I don't think Trump believes 3/4 of the garbage he spews, and I'm still not 100% convinced he's even a bonafide candidate (I keep hoping this is a grand social experiment on his part, and at the 11th hour, he'll come clean and tell us he was simply trying to prove a point), would YOU want to be faced with the prospect of 8 years of Trump as he presents himself? I mean, yeah, America will survive it, but it sure doesn't sound promising.
No matter what happens it would still be better than what we have now. What do we have now you ask? We have ideologues infested all throughout the top positions in government who don't give a crap about us people, they ONLY care about their one world government ideas and getting wealthier and wealthier at OUR expense. It's time these people are shown the door and replaced with people who do care about THIS country and it's people. It's sickening that we have these nuts running departments like the DoJ and the damn Pentagon. Our own DoJ picks and chooses who to harass and what laws to break/uphold. We have top generals in the military, including Obama himself, that make our soldiers sitting ducks and turned the military into a laughing stock of a social experiment while proclaiming that Climate Change is the biggest concern for national security. These complete nutcases need to be fired ASAP.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
If you are not ultra rich, not marrying your gay Canadian partner, not having special technical (Nobel price), sports (Olympic) or entertaining skills (Grammy/Oscar), or anything close, you aren't going anywhere but America.

Canada does not welcome illegal immigrants like we do - they got enough Democrats already.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No matter what happens it would still be better than what we have now. What do we have now you ask? We have ideologues infested all throughout the top positions in government who don't give a crap about us people, they ONLY care about their one world government ideas and getting wealthier and wealthier at OUR expense. It's time these people are shown the door and replaced with people who do care about THIS country and it's people. It's sickening that we have these nuts running departments like the DoJ and the damn Pentagon. Our own DoJ picks and chooses who to harass and what laws to break/uphold. We have top generals in the military, including Obama himself, that make our soldiers sitting ducks and turned the military into a laughing stock of a social experiment while proclaiming that Climate Change is the biggest concern for national security. These complete nutcases need to be fired ASAP.

I agree with your characterization of most political leaders. But, do you honestly think Trump DOES give a crap about regular ol' people? Really?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Well, I am not going to tell you. I don't want everyone else moving up there.

Why not Mexico? Jessie Ventura is there...must be an ok place. GOod weather to?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Hey; coincidently enough, back during the Vietnam conflict, the neighbours on either side of me were from the U.S. They were both "Dodger" fans. We had a ball together as young couples living in a high rise apartment building in Port Credit called the Newport Hotel with a bar and restaurant on the ground floor overlooking the Port Credit Yacht Club and Lake Ontario.

Last I heard of either couple they were still in Canada having attained citizenship in the late 70's.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:22 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Some people want to move outside of their nation of birth because they are looking for job opportunities or they are interested in living a different culture. If we are talking about Americans moving up to Canada they may admire the Canadian view of government or just like the environment. Reasons like these seem to be logical reasons to immigrate to another country.

However I do agree with you that someone who moves to Canada because they are angry about an election is the ultimate fair weather fan. They probably will not be loyal anywhere, and when things don't go their way they will look to another change of some sort. Democracy does mean accepting the results of an election, and that will be an issue for a person like this whether they are living in the US or Canada. I don't blame you for not wanting someone like that. All that being said, Donald Trump is a scary candidate, shocking that he has gotten as far as he has. Both republicans and democrats are shocked at his rise and the things he says and does. Still he has a huge populist appeal for many people. I still don't believe he will be elected, he is just too out there. The Democrats will tear him to pieces IMO. I am a conservative and cringe at the thought of those liberals winning, but if Donald is as scary as he appears he may be then I guess let the chips fall where they may.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
may be a lot roomier around here pretty soon..

Quote:
Twenty-eight percent of those surveyed in the Morning Consult/Vox poll released Tuesday said they would likely consider leaving the country if Trump were president, while 65 percent said they would stay.
Poll: More than 1 in 4 Americans would consider leaving if Trump wins | TheHill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies