Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 12:41 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Some seem to feel that way given current conditions.
Doubtful a history lesson will either inform or address this.
What current conditions? Are Blacks unaware that some Whites also lack opportunity? That some Whites also live in poverty? That some innocent unarmed Whites are also shot in interactions with police who exhibit bad/unprofessional judgment?

Video shows Ottawa Hills officer shoot biker | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WNWO

Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM

24 posts, read 10,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good luck with that. As I've already explained, not even all Whites have/had equal opportunities.
Yeah, no doubt. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive towards a more egalitarian society. And if "whining and complaining" brings us closer to achieving that goal, while annoying some content with the status quo, then so be it, I say. The same thing could be said of the Civil Rights and women's suffrage movements.

Quote:
Not even close to the extent that the Black community does, and you and everyone else knows it.
I don't care about the extent. I care about whether or not those grievances are justified.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphatic View Post
Yeah, no doubt. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive towards a more egalitarian society. And if "whining and complaining" brings us closer to achieving that goal, while annoying some content with the status quo, then so be it, I say. The same thing could be said of the Civil Rights and women's suffrage movements.
The mistake in your logic though is that women's suffrage and equal rights advocacy included ALL women, not just White or Black women.

Quote:
I don't care about the extent. I care about whether or not those grievances are justified.
What makes one race group's grievances more worthy than another's? That's the mistake the Black grievance groups are making. They think it's all about them and no other group has those exact same hardships when it's quite clear that they do. Perhaps if they were more inclusive (all lives matter instead of just Black lives matter), they'd garner more widespread support.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Actually, you've made my point. Some Whites (just like some Blacks) face the exact same hardships. Where is the White outrage? Where are the White Lives Matter groups and protests?
Drumpf rallies.

Duh.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Drumpf rallies.
There are Blacks at Trump rallies. Go figure.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/politi...k-republicans/

Why do you insist on being so racist? Why can't you be more inclusive? Aren't we all just people?

Old 03-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
There are Blacks at Trump rallies. Go figure.
Among others.
Quote:
Why do you insist on being so racist?
Nothing racist in any of my posts.
Why do you insist on being so obtuse?
Quote:
Why can't you be more inclusive?
Need a hug?
Quote:
Aren't we all just people?
C-D makes one wonder.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 10,400 times
Quote:
The mistake in your logic though is that women's suffrage and equal rights advocacy included ALL women, not just White or Black women.
And to that point, I would argue the Civil Rights movement benefited all racial minority groups. Just because blacks are vocal about perceived slights against them, doesn't mean other groups' grievances are to be marginalized.

For example, the BLM movement purports that blacks are being disproportionately harassed by the police. That, in and of itself, doesn't detract from other groups' problems with the police, only that blacks are standing up to police brutality on their own community.

For the record, I used BLM for purely reference purposes and should not be taken to mean that I agree/disagree with the organization.

Quote:
What makes one race group's grievances more worthy than another's? That's the mistake the Black grievance groups are making. They think it's all about them and no other group has those exact same hardships when it's quite clear that they do. Perhaps if they were more inclusive (all lives matter instead of just Black lives matter), they'd garner more widespread support.
It depends on the context, I say. Some grievances are more legit than others and some injustices are more grievous than others.

As for All Lives Matter vs. BLM debate, it's not as if the former was created to genuinely join in solidarity with the latter and push for reform. Instead, it was a reactionary backlash against a nonexistent slight on non-black groups.

On the whole, I don't see many black-initiated social justice movements that are exclusive in nature or practice.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Among others.
Exactly. Trump is inclusive.

Not sure why you're choosing to remain racist.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Trump is inclusive.
It's true.
He's inclusive to all sorts of idiots.
Quote:
Not sure why you're choosing to remain racist.
Hardly.
Not sure why you're choosing to remain so confused.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphatic View Post
For example, the BLM movement purports that blacks are being disproportionately harassed by the police.
How so? Doesn't the disproportionate policing of Blacks match their disproportionate commission of crimes, especially violent crimes? For example, look at the homicide offender rates. Blacks are disproportionately represented compared to their percentage of the population.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ender_2013.xls

Quote:
As for All Lives Matter vs. BLM debate, it's not as if the former was created to genuinely join in solidarity with the latter and push for reform.
Of course it was an effort at solidarity. I don't see anyone who advocated all lives matter intending to exclude Blacks or anyone else.

Quote:
On the whole, I don't see many black-initiated social justice movements that are exclusive in nature or practice.
Oh, please. There was just a recent thread about that exact issue.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...c-library.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies