Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It was a time before the Republican Party went crazy.

The 1956 Republican Platform

It was pro-labor, pro-Social Security and for many things Republicans repudiate today.
Rachel Maddow talked about this one day.

What happened to THAT Republican Party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 04:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That America went away because Americans didn't want to pay for it anymore. And when they could've fought to keep it, they instead elected people (namely Ronald Reagan)who did everything they could to get rid of it.

No sense in whining about it now, but yeah, I remember that America.
actually it was johnson that did everything he could to get rid of that america, with the welfare state among other "great society" programs. reagan actually tried to return that america, but after johnson, nixon, and carter, that america was pretty much gone.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Yes, at a time when they are payhing a really high corporate tax rate, too. Wonder how that happened?
I don't know. It can't be GREED, since greed does not exist in the world anymore.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually it was johnson that did everything he could to get rid of that america, with the welfare state among other "great society" programs. reagan actually tried to return that america, but after johnson, nixon, and carter, that america was pretty much gone.
Oh really?

The Great Society was an extension of the New Deal. Johnson was a New Deal guy as was ...get this: EVERY REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT AFTER WW2 up until Reagan.

Nice try though.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The "I wish it was 1955" thread...a C-D staple.

Yes, when women popped "Mother's little helpers" to get through their WONDERFUL days. When the cops looked the other way if you wanted to rape or beat your wife because she was your wife. When women were trapped in marriages because they couldn't take care of themselves. When the only thing girls were supposed to aspire to was being Mrs. someone and mom. Good times....Good times...

Personally, I'd prefer the I wish it was 1977 thread. When women were finding their wings.

What's interesting to think about is that in 60 years the I wish it was 2020 thread will be the staple (hoping the next 4 years actually see some positive changes because we sure haven't in the last 8).

Old 03-05-2016, 07:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really?

The Great Society was an extension of the New Deal. Johnson was a New Deal guy as was ...get this: EVERY REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT AFTER WW2 up until Reagan.

Nice try though.
the great society introduced welfare and other detrimental programs not included in the original new deal. add to that the fact that the new deal was pretty much rubber stamped by the supreme court because they were afraid that FDR would try to pack the court with judges and take away some of their power.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the great society introduced welfare and other detrimental programs not included in the original new deal. add to that the fact that the new deal was pretty much rubber stamped by the supreme court because they were afraid that FDR would try to pack the court with judges and take away some of their power.
Regardless...not one Republican prior to Reagan attempted to roll any of it back.

Reagan did extend the Great Society to the Pentagon though. And we've been screwed ever since.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't know. It can't be GREED, since greed does not exist in the world anymore.
Are you going to limit corporate losses also? When companies lose money should their employees chip in to cover the losses?

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our necessities but of their advantages"--Adam Smith

(What) society is not run on greed? --Milton Friedman

None of us are greedy. It is only the other fella who is greedy" --Milton Friedman

Here is a 2.5 minute video that explains why personal self-interest (greed) is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVU-oD17Gg

Last edited by whogo; 03-05-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 11:16 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Are you going to limit corporate losses also? When companies lose money should their employees chip in to cover the losses?

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our necessities but of their advantages"--Adam Smith

(What) society is not run on greed? --Milton Friedman

None of us are greedy. It is only the other fella who is greedy" --Milton Friedman

Here is a 2.5 minute video that explains why personal self-interest (greed) is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVU-oD17Gg
Personal self interest is not equal to greed. Personal self interest allows one to care for the less fortunate. Greed does not. Personal self interest is not a deadly sin. Greed is. Its a sad commentary on anyone who does not know the difference between the two concepts. They are not, and should never been seen as, morally equivalent.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:51 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
I remember that America.......... from my Marvel and Dc comics, tv shows, and the movies. America was a fabled land of happiness, and I sure wished I could live there.

Folks lived in nice new houses on large plots of land. They had a big, beautiful car with big fins. This was washed every Sunday morning, by the man of the house.

The kids walked to school carrying books under their arm held together with a leather strap. Girls and boys went 'steady,' and the girl wore a pin given them by the boy. I never did figure out what a pin was......

The young couple sat in a diner, and shared a milk shake using two straws. They went to the movies together, and may be kissed on the back row.

The leader of this wonderful country was a young man named John F Kennedy. He smiled a lot, and had a beautiful wife and children. He was very optimistic about the future, and he made me feel optimistic as well.

Then, when I was 10 years old, he was shot and killed. I read about it in the newspaper my dad brought home. I sat and wept. I wasn't sure why, but I couldn't understand why anyone would want to kill such a great man.

I still loved America from a great distance, but never as intense. That America may have never existed really, but to me, as a little kid, it was a land to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies