Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:21 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times

Advertisements

"1985" Bowling For Soup
(originally by SR-71)

Woohoohoo
Woohoohoo

Debbie just hit the wall
She never had it all
One Prozac a day
Husband's a CPA
Her dreams went out the door
When she turned twenty four
Only been with one man
What happened to her plan?

She was gonna be an actress
She was gonna be a star
She was gonna shake her ---
On the hood of Whitesnake’s car
Her yellow SUV is now the enemy
Looks at her average life
And nothing has been alright since

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

Woohoohoo
(1985)
Woohoohoo

She’s seen all the classics
She knows every line
Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink
Even Saint Elmo’s Fire
She rocked out to Wham
Not a big Limp Bizkit fan
Thought she’d get a hand
On a member of Duran Duran

Where’s the mini-skirt made of snake skin
And who’s the other guy that's singing in Van Halen
When did reality become T.V.
Whatever happened to sitcoms, game shows
(on the radio was)

Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
With 19, 19, 1985

Woohoohoo

She hates time make it stop
When did Mötley Crüe become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this stop, stop
Stop!
And bring back

Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
With 1985

Woohoohoo

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV (woohoohoo)
With 19, 19, 1985
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:54 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You are certainly correct about Senator Goldwater, and I did not mean for my language to imply that Goldwater was racist and that my parents 'went against him' in that respect.
I only meant that your parents being Goldwater Republicans didn't mean that their "progressive" beliefs about how people should be treated was unique among Republicans at the time ... or Republican candidates.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Rachel Maddow talked about this one day.

What happened to THAT Republican Party?
They became Democrats. It's why the Democrats are so much more centrist than liberal today; they absorbed a lot of the people who aren't bigots and/or aren't radical fiscal nutjobs. The rest of them are Independents. In the 1950s or 1960s, the Clintons might have been "liberal" Republicans or "moderate" Democrats. Obama, too.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the great society introduced welfare and other detrimental programs not included in the original new deal. add to that the fact that the new deal was pretty much rubber stamped by the supreme court because they were afraid that FDR would try to pack the court with judges and take away some of their power.
What exactly were some of those "other detrimental progams"? Oh, yeah ...
  • Civil Rights Act of 1964, which codified anti-discrimination policies
  • Voting Rights Act of 1965, which protected the right to vote, especially in the South where Blacks had been denied those rights for a century
  • Head Start, to give poor children better starts in schools
  • Medicare, health insurance for older Americans
  • Medicaid, health care for the poorest Americans
  • Food stamps, to help alleviate hunger among poor Americans
  • National endowments for the arts and humanities
  • National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (NHTSA) which began the campaign for safer vehicles
  • Endangered Species Act of 1966, which enabled Americans to still see our national bird and to hear wolves howl in the wild
I'm sure that the US would be SOOOOOOO much better off without these programs.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Republicans have this myth that the perfect people live in a 4 br house on a six house cul-de-sack with a gate on the stem road. They only talk to each other so the rest of the world does not matter or even exist. Then they wonder why most of their constituents worship The Donald and his sales pitch.

In the loop Democrats are not much better. It took an insurrection by Bernie Sanders to get Hillary and her high end politically and economically connected friends to notice they were doing the same. She will have to do a lot to get us to trust her. As the song goes, "We won't get fooled again."

The frustration is the three significant Republican Candidates are all tyrants in diapers or religious fanatics that would force us all to follow "Kristian" values no matter how tyrannical. The result is sane people have to vote for Hillary because the Republicans are evil tricksters hiding behind their own Righteousness.

Last edited by GregW; 03-06-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Really? I really did not notice my grandmother cowering whenever gramps walked in the room. Let's not over do the legitimate obstacles women faced in the 50's with hyperbolic nonsense.

Just because your grandmother may not have experienced it didn't mean it didn't happen in other households, your grandmother would have NEVER spoken out about it even if it was happening, she considered it "her place in life".

Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
That's beautifully said.

The 1950s were good times in this country. Good times. We had modern medical and dental care, and we were the most powerful country in the world. We had men and women of honor serving in political office. Our school houses were filled with America's best citizens, imparting their wisdom, patriotism and love of learning to young minds.

It was a wonderful time.

I wish we could return to it.

A GREAT example of the cherry-picking I spoke of ...

Most here will have at most CHILDHOOD memories of the fifties, where they were protected from the realities of life in the world outside the dome their parents created for them.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Rachel Maddow talked about this one day.

What happened to THAT Republican Party?
It was taken over by the angry ignorant religious right.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It was taken over by the angry ignorant religious right.
You left out sexually dysfunctional.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
A GREAT example of the cherry-picking I spoke of ...

Most here will have at most CHILDHOOD memories of the fifties, where they were protected from the realities of life in the world outside the dome their parents created for them.
this is EXACTLY what they did:mad:- the kept everything quiet and behind close doors- when I was older and my mom died, I learned we had a gay cousin- and and being a DRUNK was not really funny, men hurt women physically - child abuse is dead wrong-- and so many other things- and my parents were both college grads-and professional people- I had NO idea-
at 21 a friend from Philly took me to a show - I did NOT know men dressed in drag I had no idea !! ZIP- when George C Scott played in the movie "Hard CORE" I was in shock- since that day- I became a different kind of person- I look under the rug-
I think many still have NOT taken those rose colored glasses off and refuse to-- and simply are out of touch with TRUTH-- or they turn away and make bad things an insignificant issue -downplay and stay happy-

Last edited by tinytrump; 03-06-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies