Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What do they do to the captured U.S. soldiers? Do they honor Geneva convention? I want my brother to commit suicide if I know for a fact he is going to be captured. I do this because I love him and I am hopeless.
You let the terrorist win. You're terrorized. Sad to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:25 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You let the terrorist win. You're terrorized. Sad to see.
How so? How is it fair that ONLY one side should honor the Geneva convention?!

Old 03-06-2016, 04:25 PM

988 posts, read 682,588 times
Quote:
What do they do to the captured U.S. soldiers? Do they honor Geneva convention? I want my brother to commit suicide if I know for a fact he is going to be captured. I do this because I love him and I am hopeless.
I may be wrong, but the way I see this is that your brother and all soldiers are probably better off without a loudmouthed president who is promising to torture the enemy. Even if we don't torture the enemy, based on the president's statements alone the enemy might feel justified in torturing our soldiers. I just don't see the upside at all in such a position.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I may be wrong, but the way I see this is that your brother and all soldiers are probably better off without a loudmouthed president who is promising to torture the enemy. Even if we don't torture the enemy, based on the president's statements alone the enemy might feel justified in torturing our soldiers. I just don't see the upside at all in such a position.
My brother is no long in the military. Thanks God. But my loved one and all my best friends are still currently serving. So this year is important for me. NO way in hell I would pick a hawk.

Yes, I wanted my brother to commit suicide if I knew for a fact he would be captured. I love him. Last thing I want is for ANYBODY to torture my brother.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
How so? How is it fair that ONLY one side should honor the Geneva convention?!
You're acting like the Geneva Convention is an honor code or something.

The Geneva convention is law, international law. If you break it, you face penalties. We used international law in Nuremberg to try the Nazis and put them to death after WWII. Get it now? Isis doesn't get to break international law without penalty. If they torture U.S. soldiers and we catch them, it's not good for them. Probably a death sentence under international law. Those are the laws that Donald Trump is advocating we break.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You're acting like the Geneva Convention is an honor code or something.

The Geneva convention is law, international law. If you break it, you face penalties. We used international law in Nuremberg to try the Nazis and put them to death after WWII. Get it now? Isis doesn't get to break international law without penalty. If they torture U.S. soldiers and we catch them, it's not good for them. Probably a death sentence under international law. Those are the laws that Donald Trump is advocating we break.
No, I don't get it.

Terrorist detainees "were not covered by the Geneva Convention. They were unlawful combatants.
That is why they never play by the rules, that is why they torture people simply because they are American troops.

This said, you make it sound it I like to torture people. NO, I don't. But interrogation techniques sometimes work in the most extreme cases. And let's not pretend terrorists should be covered by Geneva convention.

I also don't believe Trump can change the law. So this topic is rather useless.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
No, I don't get it.

Terrorist detainees "were not covered by the Geneva Convention. They were unlawful combatants.
That is why they never play by the rules, that is why they torture people simply because they are American troops.
Maybe, but the position that you are describing is one that we use to break international law, at Guantanamo, by calling them unlawful combatants. It's not a position taken by the other side, as far as I know. But the bottom line is that legal matters are decided in court. If it's international law, it would have to be an international tribunal. The president saying, "I get to do what I want because they're unlawful combatants," would be similar to a prosecutor or defense attorney trying to influence public opinion ahead of a trial. It's not a fact determined by the court. You have to argue your position in court and win.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
This said, you make it sound it I like to torture people. NO, I don't. But interrogation techniques sometimes work in the most extreme cases.
What cases?

Got an example?

I've looked.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but the position that you are describing is one that we use to break international law, at Guantanamo, by calling them unlawful combatants. n.
I respect your opinion, but let's agree to disagree.

I think anybody who agree with sending people's sons to war, and at the same damn time, argue about waterboarding or rules or engagement are disgusting people. (Not implying you are disgusting. This is just a general statement.)

Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but let's agree to disagree.
Fair enough. Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies