Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:19 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Grow your own food-cut out the unnecessary Middle Man .

Nope, that won't work. Since the Supreme Court holding in Wickard, he will be restricted in the amount of food grown on his own property. Growing your own food has implications with regard to interstate commerce, don't you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 06:20 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
But Monsanto gave my congressman a $600k PAC donation in exchange for outlawing me growing my own food.
Nope, that was the work of the Supreme Court in the Wickard case.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who gets the tariff?
Ideally no one because people are buying US made goods, that's the point.

Quote:
Do we want to return to a world where union workers make high wages for producing crap?
There is lot more at stake here than union jobs. When this topic comes up I like to post this. It's from an acquaintance that owns a small manufacturing company that employs about 10 people that make a decent middle class living. These are skilled people so they get paid well. At the time they were about six months behind riding the extraordinary cost of energy in other sectors leading up the the Fall of 2008.

Quote:
In January a company came to me about having all of our stoves made in China. They would be shipped to LLS boxed and ready to sell. This at a much bigger profit than I could ever make working the way we do. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AS LONG AS I OWN LLS. I DON'T CARE HOW FAR BEHIND WE GET.
This is a stand up guy but to be fair he's not facing overseas competition in his niche market, his competitors all face the same challenges he does. If he were to take up this offer he could easily undercut the competition while sitting in a lazy boy doing a few hours work each day. Not only does his 10 employees lose their jobs but the employees of his competitors are now at risk. We're not talking about 10 jobs but hundreds of well paying jobs.

Again, it's a race to the bottom. That's not a race you want to win, as long as overseas competitors can undercut US manufacturers because of cheap labor, lax labor laws, lax environmental laws and a plethora of other things you are going to continue to see the middle class decline. Competition is great but it has to be on an even playing field and it most certainly is not an even playing field for US manufacturers.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Grow your own food-cut out the unnecessary Middle Man .
Isn't that a little easier said than done. You would need to have a very large piece of property, outside of town, have knowledge on how to raise cattle and produce and live where it is easy to grow food year around or spend a heck of a lot of time canning during the summer like our great grandmas did.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just don't get caught!

Trying to feed your family, without government oversight, can get you thrown in jail and your property seized(if they would only do that for those hiring illegal aliens)

Try and put meat on your table, without asking government for permission and the rules to do so.
Seriously? I have chickens, goats, and a garden. the government hasn't come after me yet. Where do you live that you can't do that?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:00 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Isn't that a little easier said than done. You would need to have a very large piece of property, outside of town, have knowledge on how to raise cattle and produce and live where it is easy to grow food year around or spend a heck of a lot of time canning during the summer like our great grandmas did.
You don't need to have a large piece of property, or raise cattle. You can do some growing, even on an apartment balcony. You can substitute rabbit, which can actually be grown in a cage indoors if really necessary. You can go directly to farmers - google 'CSA'.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
You don't need to have a large piece of property, or raise cattle. You can do some growing, even on an apartment balcony. You can substitute rabbit, which can actually be grown in a cage indoors if really necessary. You can go directly to farmers - google 'CSA'.
Thank You! I live in a rowhome and grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs/spices and want to grow much more!
There are a few farms near my house (yes, in the city) where I purchase most produce in season. Thank God for the "Germantown Kitchen Garden"-love it! I would never need to raise cattle but would like to have a few chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yeah, they sure worked hard! I would like to start canning though!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
I still haven't figured out the democrat's obsession with crappy jobs. Every crappy job outsourced to China or India raises the standard of living here while opening new and better opportunities to American workers.

Our trade surplus should be in areas of technology and innovation. I've got no problem with Mexico or Brazil handling the groceries.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I still haven't figured out the democrat's obsession with crappy jobs. Every crappy job outsourced to China or India raises the standard of living here while opening new and better opportunities to American workers.

Our trade surplus should be in areas of technology and innovation. I've got no problem with Mexico or Brazil handling the groceries.
The election results from the Michigan Republican primary show that opposition to unfettered free trade is bipartisan. It is elitist to say that working in basic industries is "crappy."

What are these "better opportunities" for American workers?

Look at this ad from the past. Did the workers look unhappy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7VUklDlQw

Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb I am running a trade deficit with my grocer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Do you think if I have the government tax him 10% on each good sold that it will lower my trade deficit?
I think you should use your debit card instead of putting it on your credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies