Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I actually didn't know.

I also did not know the kid. I had seem him around before though.

And FWIW, he was not black, he was bi-racial.

Due to me seeing him as the kid he was I just assumed it was a toy gun, just like the caller in the 911 tape did in regards to Tamir. Most Americans do not assume that a kid has a real gun, just like the officer who approached my cousin, who at the time was pointing his gun at ducks/geese at a local pond in the neighborhood. 911 was called on him and the police didn't jump out and kill him.

There was no imminent threat. If the officer had assessed the situation, he would not have been killed. Those are the facts.

I know you like to keep arguing a point but I'm confident that the majority reading this post will see you are in the wrong and that it is always best to assess a situation versus jumping out and shooting someone within 2 seconds.
I must say that's a pretty stupid assumption. You should feel lucky that he didn't have a real gun.

Most people including police don't make that kind of assumption as it would get them killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The race thing, 99% of the time is just a red herring to cover up all
the real problems that we can't find common ground on.
Without common ground, no positive change can occur.
The race thing is promulgated by the .0001% who want to keep us divided
so they can rule all of us.
Even the terms "black" and "white" are insulting to us !
We shouldn't even use them anymore.
To be frank, the 0.0001% don't give a crap about us. Not a bit. Race is not an issue for them because they just don't care.

It is the liberals and Democrats who want to keep us divided. Who purposely modified 911 recording in the Zimmerman case to stir up racial conflict? NBC, a prominent liberal media.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Negative. The grand jury ruled the shooting to be justified because they always rule such shootings to be justified. Always. So the actual facts are only of importance to those affected. That would be Tamir, of course, his next of kin, and also the greater black community in his city who are, disproportionately, the victims of similar incidents. Yes, Tamir, would not have died that day if he had not been in a park with a bb gun. However, it must be noted, that at the time of the shooting, Tamir was not pointing a gun at anyone!
Right, black communities disproportionately suffer less police shooting! That's racist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If pointing a gun at someone can be retroactively punished I am unaware of the specific statute in the criminal justice code. Moreover, I am also unaware that menacing is a Capital Crime in the United States of America. Moreover, I was of the opinion that there is a Rule of Law that prevails in America of Due Process. Police cannot race to the scene of an expired crisis, and begin firing on a presumed suspect before their vehicle is fully stopped and call that Due Process. Well... they can... and did... and indirectly that's what has led to this very thread.
You talk about rule of law etc. etc. etc. but our hundreds years of case law disagrees with you. Pointing a gun or reaching for a weapon justifies deadly force. That is true in all USA and even most parts of the world.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Race relations have tumbled over the years since 2009. Some people blame President Barack Obama, Rev. Al Sharpton, etc. for the racial divide. What is the future of race relations between whites and blacks?
If you don't care about race it doesn't matter.

Time to start dealing with people 1:1 as HUMAN BEINGS instead of a stupid category.

THE ONLY THING THAT DIVIDES AMERICANS IS ETHNICITY/CULTURE, ACCESS TO EDUCATION, AND ECONOMICS.

RACE DOESN'T MATTER.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you don't care about race it doesn't matter.

Time to start dealing with people 1:1 as HUMAN BEINGS instead of a stupid category.

THE ONLY THING THAT DIVIDES AMERICANS IS ETHNICITY/CULTURE, ACCESS TO EDUCATION, AND ECONOMICS.

RACE DOESN'T MATTER.
I'd agree with culture and economics.

Being poor isn't going to be easy but on the other hand, the vast majority of Asians were poor when they first came to this country. The rich Asians just started to arrive about 10 something years ago. They somehow managed to commit crimes at a rate 75% less than whites and dominate the schools and STEM even with the AA in place to heavily discriminate against them.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The police were responding to a 911 call about a kid waving a gun around in a public park. As the police roll up; the kid reaches for a weapon. I posted the video earlier in the thread. Watch it.

As I've already posted several times, there's no way the police can perceive the act of reaching for a gun as anything other than a deadly threat.
I have watched the video multiple times. I don't see Tamir Rice reach for a gun. I don't see the police officers examine the situation. All I see is the police drive right into the situation, open the door, and shoot dead. Period.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This case has been concluded by grand jury, who apparently saw and knew something different from you.

I don't think Eric Garner should be dead though.

Neither discussions have anything to do with race.
The discussions have everything to do with race.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I must say that's a pretty stupid assumption. You should feel lucky that he didn't have a real gun.

Most people including police don't make that kind of assumption as it would get them killed.
I don't automatically think kids I've seen walking around before, not being little evil beings are about to go on a shooting spree.

I also am not a fearful person in general and especially I am not afraid of children.

You must be the scaredy type to say such a thing.

And police make that assumption every day. That is why we don't hear about a whole trove of kids getting killed by them for having toy guns and playing. You do realize that kids do still play with toy guns right...

Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So you think the little boy should be dead?

Interesting....

You don't think the cop should have given him orders prior to jumping out of the car?....

Both discussions IMO have to do with race. Too often a white suspect actually killing people is taken alive by law enforcement and black suspected criminals are killed or brutalized in some fashion. The fact that the SC church killer got Burger King and taken alive after murdering 9 people is very telling considering in that same state a man was shot in the back for running from a police officer.

Police are much more likely to come in, guns a-blazing for a black suspect versus a white suspect. This is documented in various studies regarding the disparate treatment of law enforcement to minority communities.
Very well stated.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I do, and so did the grand jury.

Read the 911 call transcript I posted. That wasn't known when the police responded.

Furthermore, I posted photos of the pellet gun and a real gun earlier in the thread. They're indistinguishable from a distance and within the time frame in which the police arrived and Rice was reaching for the gun.
I'm so happy to hear that you think juries are infallible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies