Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
legal immigrants and refugees can get welfare.

And with 4.5 million children having one illegal parent they also get welfare.
And that 4.5 million is as of 2012. From 2002 to 2012 the number has doubled.
Those figures are from the Census Bureau.
Yes, legal immigrants and refugees can get welfare; however, legal immigrants are required to demonstrate their ability to be self-sufficient before they become a legal immigrant.

Refugees should get welfare because they are poor to begin with. We have about 70,000 refugees last time I checked.

Illegal immigrants get the most welfare because of their sheer number in the 50-70 millions. Unfortunately their American born children are American citizens, automatically entitled to all the welfare. Their non-adult, foreign born children can also get welfare

But hey since most illegal immigrants vote for Democrats, we should welcome them to our country with open wallet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Doesn't matter. We love not paying the real price for food, services, and houses more than we hate immigration.

It would be no small bit of schadenfreude to see what happened to the economies of Texas, Arizona, Georgia, California, et al if the flow of cheap labor stopped overnight.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Doesn't matter. We love not paying the real price for food, services, and houses more than we hate immigration.

It would be no small bit of schadenfreude to see what happened to the economies of Texas, Arizona, Georgia, California, et al if the flow of cheap labor stopped overnight.
food prices will rise but agri is not that big part of CA economy..a little disruption but it will free up needed water

and since CA produces fruits and veggies not just for CA, everybody will suffer but its not the end..

Old 03-08-2016, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

With immigrants all working in the processing houses you'd think food would be cheaper but it's only gone up.

I have a cow processed every year. My beef cost me $.97/lb
Direct processing. From my pasture to the butcher.

Ribeye..$.97/lb

Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I don't think there would be much of a difference.

It's all about perception.
Oh I think there would be a big big difference, huge difference...
For one thing, lets get the illegal criminals outa here...
A lot of people in the southern states where illegals have flocked to and live would be much safer.

If the media would start reporting how many illegals (and I'm not talking about just Mexicans) were here committing crime, you might have a huge difference.

First of all, illegals are criminals....they are illegal...and people have to stop ignoring that fact....we've become a land of lawlessness because of it. When you start ignoring laws for convenience, then society starts to corrode.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Oh I think there would be a big big difference, huge difference...
For one thing, lets get the illegal criminals outa here...
A lot of people in the southern states where illegals have flocked to and live would be much safer.

If the media would start reporting how many illegals (and I'm not talking about just Mexicans) were here committing crime, you might have a huge difference.

First of all, illegals are criminals....they are illegal...and people have to stop ignoring that fact....we've become a land of lawlessness because of it. When you start ignoring laws for convenience, then society starts to corrode.
But i see no will for that.

Only Trump wants to do that and obviously it's not just up to president.

You need a strong will for that.

We're talking about 10 to 15 and maybe even 20 million people.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
But i see no will for that.

Only Trump wants to do that and obviously it's not just up to president.

You need a strong will for that.

We're talking about 10 to 15 and maybe even 20 million people.
well then tell me this, why do you think Trump has so many followers?

do you know that when he first started, his very first and foremost speech called for building a fence, sending all illegals back and setting up an illegal immigration process that works.

Oh, my, did that make a big fuss....everyone including Macy's spoke out against him and guess what, Americans backed him...and every time another company or politician spoke against him for it, more people backed Trump. Fast forward to now, and all the Repub candidates are parroting him...why do you think that is?

and where are you getting your numbers from, polls. Lots and lots of people refuse to participate in the polls, and also, there are independents who cannot vote in the primary elections.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Does not surprise whatsoever that people do not really support immigration of both the legal and illegal variety.

Of course, if they had surveyed business owners/execs, the results would be quite different

It almost always comes down to competition for resources.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

You really think that businesses including the growers pass any savings onto the consumer by using cheap, illegal labor? They merely pocket the profits from their cheap labor and then they pass their social costs onto the rest of us Americans. That so-called cheap fruit isn't so cheap after all. The economies of all of our states would improve with the exit of illegal aliens out of our country. It is mostly the states that are having to bear the burden of those social costs. Americans would get their jobs back at a fair wage. Americans don't tend to send billions of dollars to other countries either that isn't spent in our economy as illegal aliens do.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
An illegal immigrant can not get welfare or SS. What they do get is the spoils of a rich economy. You can go to Goodwill and get nice clothes and toys for almost nothing, great used cars are cheap, etc.

It's our job to expel illegals but it's their job to try to stay. If I was in their shoes I'd do the same thing.

You'd be a law breaker and a moocher with no conscience about it whatsoever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies