Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 AM

548 posts, read 473,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What a strange thing to hope for.
There are strange people on this forum (as I'm sure you've noticed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,720,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This is what I hope happens!

Let Iran fire a long range missile at Israel. If it hits let it hit in a desolate area that does little to no damage and little to no casualties. In return it gives Israel the green light to unleash the might of its military force and blows up every single square inch of Iran to the point where there's no more civilization left.
Why don't take a walk back in history and look what happened when Iraq fired SCUDS at Israel.

Quote:
When the first SCUDS were launched from Iraq into central Israel on January 17, 1991, Israel was nonetheless prepared to strike back. Israeli Air Force jets did in fact begin flying near the Gulf country’s western border, but never initiated an attack. Days after the first SCUDS exploded, a covert commando mission was prepared, with elite Israeli special forces troops actually loaded onto helicopters for rapid deployment to Iraq. A phone call from the highest echelons in Washington, however, kept the aircraft on the tarmac.
This Week in History: Saddam terrorizes Israel - Features - Jerusalem Post

Do you really think the US won't do the same thing again?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:43 AM

29,503 posts, read 9,688,946 times
Default Depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Why don't take a walk back in history and look what happened when Iraq fired SCUDS at Israel.

This Week in History: Saddam terrorizes Israel - Features - Jerusalem Post

Do you really think the US won't do the same thing again?
But Saddam’s attempt to draw Israel into the war was much more strategic than ideological. Hussein knew that if Israel were to enter the war, the Arab allies brought into the coalition by the US would be faced with a much more complicated situation. Both Saddam and the West believed they would withdraw their support from the war effort. For this reason, then-US president George H.W. Bush spent a great deal of time pressuring Israel not to retaliate against the SCUD missiles.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
But Saddam’s attempt to draw Israel into the war was much more strategic than ideological. Hussein knew that if Israel were to enter the war, the Arab allies brought into the coalition by the US would be faced with a much more complicated situation. Both Saddam and the West believed they would withdraw their support from the war effort. For this reason, then-US president George H.W. Bush spent a great deal of time pressuring Israel not to retaliate against the SCUD missiles.
And you think Iran is different? If you can't see that Iran is simply portraying a different photo but playing the same game, you're really blind to Middle Eastern tribalism.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
And you think Iran is different? If you can't see that Iran is simply portraying a different photo but playing the same game, you're really blind to Middle Eastern tribalism.
Just pointing out why Saddam wanted to draw Israel into the fray, and why the United States didn't want that is all. Who said what different about Iran? Nevertheless, you go ahead and attribute whatever you are talking about to your great knowledge that I so very much lack. Feeding that ego of yours is apparently forever your primary objective, and nobody knows how to do that better than you do!

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-24-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,872,044 times
Sounds like Israel might have a problem. Not to worry the United States will invest billions to keep Israel safe.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Just pointing out why Saddam wanted to draw Israel into the fray, and why the United States didn't want that is all. Who said what different about Iran? Nevertheless, you go ahead and attribute whatever you are talking about to your great knowledge that I so very much lack. Feeding that ego of yours is apparently forever your primary objective, and nobody knows how to do that better than you do!
There's no ego here. I'm former military and so are both my sons. We are all US Marines and served most of our time in the Middle East in combat. My experience dealing with Arabs in the past and now is at the ground level. IMPOV you know nothing about the Middle East.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
There's no ego here. I'm former military and so are both my sons. We are all US Marines and served most of our time in the Middle East in combat. My experience dealing with Arabs in the past and now is at the ground level. IMPOV you know nothing about the Middle East.
No ego? Good one!

As for who knows what, it seems we have mutual respect in this regard.

Nevertheless, when it comes to my comments, I continue to invite you to correct me as appropriate -- with specifics. Please spare the rest of the misrepresentation, posturing and nonsense, and we're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies