Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Casting a vote for a Democrat is by no means a date deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. I am a Libertarian leaning conservative and a registered Republican. I've dated many Democrats and they all treated me with respect and love. So no complains there.

However, It’s always seemed a decent guess that we let political affiliations influence our attraction to a potential valentine. We don't mind a little argument here and there as long as we keep the conversation civil.

This said, I love the dress blues. Most of them are conservative. So there.. I dumped two men in the past because they were somewhat anti military. (anti military is not the same as anti war by the way) I can't have that. I found anti military people very ugly. I also dated a liberal musician happened to be a vegetarian. He never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do, I think he was such a cool guy. His brother was a soldier and he was pro military. Being an artist myself, I found it refreshing.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-10-2016 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sad yes, completely unnecessary? no. Aside from looks and 'place in life,' there is no better indicator of a person's values, beliefs and even interests than political affiliation. The exception being if they are so moderate or disinterested that it doesn't matter much.

I have family members and a few friends who are of the opposite party. Without fail, in conversation we bump into things that cannot be discussed without anger or sadness. I would never be able to maintain a gainful, daily relationship with a woman of the opposite party circa 2016. 20+ years ago it was different, the parties were more similar and equal.
I can't speak for Republicans, but as a conservative i look upon people who call themselves Democrats, as being misguided and ignorant. While i think those same people look at a Republican or a conservative and view them with hatred, or intense dislike, as if they were cloven hoofed demons.

I can't discuss politics with my democrat relatives, because they have proven over and over again, that when it comes to the issues of the day, and politics, they are ignorant.

How can I have an intellectual discussion with someone about the politics in Washington, when Sen. Reid and Rep. Pelosi were in the majority for three years, and the relative I'm trying to gently debate with, did not even know who either Pelosi or Reid are?

And yet, this same relative who is arguing with me as if they are an informed voter, cuz they listen to NPR, and watch CNN, when all they are actually doing is reciting talking points and clinging tightly to their stereotyped opinions?

I never talk politics to certain relatives or friends, because they are completely, and gloriously ignorant, but full of immovable opinions on all political matters.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I have never lied about what I believe. If I'm asked, I'm very upfront about it, because I couldn't stand to spend x amount of years with a whiny liberal.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In an effort to be more dateable and appear less nutty - most Republicans lie about being Republicans.

While just 18 percent of Democrats said they’ve hidden their party affiliation on a date, 57 percent of Republicans replied they would, or have, lied about their political leanings.

“It’s one thing to privately show one’s support when voting,” the site’s founder and CEO, Brandon Wade, said in a news release, “but when it comes down to impressing a date, Republican singles aren’t standing with their party.”

A whopping 82 percent of Democrats — compared to only 43 percent of Republicans — said they wouldn’t dream of keeping their political viewpoints hush-hush while on a date.

Dating site survey: Most Republicans lie about party
It is blatantly obvious that sluts abound on the left so it's a good strategy.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Casting a vote for a Democrat is by no means a date deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. I am a Libertarian leaning conservative and a registered Republican. I've dated many Democrats and they all treated me with respect and love. So no complains there.

However, It’s always seemed a decent guess that we let political affiliations influence our attraction to a potential valentine. We don't mind a little argument here and there as long as we keep the conversation civil.

This said, I love the dress blues. Most of them are conservative. So there.. I dumped two men in the past because they were somewhat anti military. (anti military is not the same as anti war by the way) I can't have that. I found anti military people very ugly. I also dated a liberal musician happened to be a vegetarian. He never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do, I think he was such a cool guy. Being an artist myself, I found it refreshing.
Some people are Democrats, why... just cuz.

I have a coworker I've worked closely with for 15 years. He is a staunch Democrat, would never vote for any Republican, ever.

Whenever we discuss the actual substance of the issues, from global warming, to the debt, to taxes, or social welfare, or even abortion, he is a solid Constitutional and social conservative.

But boy oh boy, he hates Republican politicians, and has all the ready stereotypes to describe how awful and horrible they would be if elected to office, and those opinions are locked in tight.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:49 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Some people are Democrats, why... just cuz.

I have a coworker I've worked closely with for 15 years. He is a staunch Democrat, would never vote for any Republican, ever.

Whenever we discuss the actual substance of the issues, from global warming, to the debt, to taxes, or social welfare, or even abortion, he is a solid Constitutional and social conservative.

But boy oh boy, he hates Republican politicians, and has all the ready stereotypes to describe how awful and horrible they would be if elected to office, and those opinions are locked in tight.
I agree.

My sister in law is perhaps one of the whitest person I've known. She is the bleeding heart liberal who is aka the social justice warrior. She suffers from white guilt and i have no ideas why. I love her, don't get me wrong. My brother takes good care of her and her two kids from previous marriage, so she can be a stay at home mother. She used to be a fashion designer, but now she just wants to stay at home. She wants to vote for Hillary simply because she is a woman. I guess being an ex career woman, voting for a female makes her feel a little bit "empowered."

Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Geeze..what the hell type of people use an auction site for a date ?

That's hardly a snap shot of your typical American..(I hope).

Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have never lied about what I believe. If I'm asked, I'm very upfront about it, because I couldn't stand to spend x amount of years with a whiny liberal.
Even if the person is just calling themselves a democrat, and harbors harsh opinions for republicans or conservatives, because they are just uninformed... Who wants to be with a bigot who ignorantly clings to stereotypes into their adult lives?

Give me an open minded person who sees the world for what it is any day. Bigotry thru ignorance is a huge turn off for me.

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In an effort to be more dateable and appear less nutty - most Republicans lie about being Republicans.

While just 18 percent of Democrats said they’ve hidden their party affiliation on a date, 57 percent of Republicans replied they would, or have, lied about their political leanings.

“It’s one thing to privately show one’s support when voting,” the site’s founder and CEO, Brandon Wade, said in a news release, “but when it comes down to impressing a date, Republican singles aren’t standing with their party.”

A whopping 82 percent of Democrats — compared to only 43 percent of Republicans — said they wouldn’t dream of keeping their political viewpoints hush-hush while on a date.

Dating site survey: Most Republicans lie about party
30,000 kooks that use an auction site to get a date are considered "most Republicans" ?

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Good for you, but it's a date not a marriage contract!

And, have you considered the possibility of x amount of years with a whiny...fill in the blank?

Many respondents in this thread are just taking the opportunity to slam adherents of the opposing party, rather than offering any explanations, or otherwise thoughtful comments on this.

I would think that, in general, younger people have political opinions that are somewhat malleable.

So, it's a sad state of affairs if so many now think it's necessary to hide their views, rather than enthusiastically discuss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies