Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
I think that until there is no racism and all of the wrongs of the past have been corrected, then there still needs to be a protection mechanism for the victims of racism.
I don't think there needs a protection mechanism against racism. The only protection mechanism should be to avoid associating with racist. The government certainly should not be the one who steps in and tell people how to treat each other. At the end of the day, all that does is breed hostility. That is why we're in such a bad situation now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can do your part on forms. Under "race" check "other" and then fill in with American.
That's what I do.
On my census form, I answered the question about number of people living at my address and nothing more. Race and every other question was left blank. They may or may not have sent someone for a follow up but I don't answer the door unless there is a UPS or FedEx truck outside.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I don't think there needs a protection mechanism against racism. The only protection mechanism should be to avoid associating with racist. The government certainly should not be the one who steps in and tell people how to treat each other. At the end of the day, all that does is breed hostility. That is why we're in such a bad situation now.
The govt. is stepping in and telling people how to treat each other? How so?

Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
On my census form, I answered the question about number of people living at my address and nothing more. Race and every other question was left blank. They may or may not have sent someone for a follow up but I don't answer the door unless there is a UPS or FedEx truck outside.
Legally that is all you are required to provide to the Census Bureau.

I also got some type of Ag survey from them. They wanted to know how many animals I had, what I fed them, etc.

But I lost it so it never got sent in.....

Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM

854 posts, read 585,947 times
Disagree.

If there is little ethnic diversity in a given city, I would like to know that so I can avoid visiting or living there.

Eliminating the option on forms is not going to change the way that people in monolithic areas treat you, sorry.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Disagree.

If there is little ethnic diversity in a given city, I would like to know that so I can avoid visiting or living there.

Eliminating the option on forms is not going to change the way that people in monolithic areas treat you, sorry.
What you just said makes no sense. As long as association is voluntary, then it's fine. So no one is trying to stop Arabic people from associating with each other. But it's a bigger problem when the government is forcing you into a an association, or putting you into groups that can be broadly judged. And that's the issue in that policy is decided a lot of time on racial basis. If you get rid of racial categories, then it make it much harder to put some wide reaching government policy onto a particular group of people. Lines of seperations will happen and there will always be inequality. But I feel that this would be more on ideological lines and not racial lines.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Yes, absolutely.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM

455 posts, read 283,455 times
nope. on job forms i always put two or more races as I am half white and half black. I want that (assumed) white hiring manager to know about that going in and I know they all look at what is being marked.

maybe it helps, maybe the white hiring manager will throw it out when they see two or more races checked.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
They'll never get rid of racial categories because then racial groups will revert to religious competition as a substitute. They want that much less than they do racial competition.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I feel that with the media constantly sensationalizing race, that we've gotten into a situation WILL not get any better. I feel that race has been an easy thing for the government and the media to exploit. And I feel that the very idea of race is anti-individualist and anti-American. Also biologically speaking what we view as race isn't very accurate. There is a lot of splitting hair why America categoriize things the way it does, since most of it is not accurate. But I think the key here is that it's not mean to be accurate. It's mean to be sufficient enough to divide people. And when you divide people, you make it easy for the government to turn the population against each other.

I feel for the future of the USA, it is imperative that Americans move to have the government abandon all racial categorization. While people can individually acknowledge their differences, the government should no longer play any part of it. Eventually this will lead America into a natural meritocracy. People can't be against racism and then be for the government separating the population based on race.
NO!

1. It's not the media sensationalizing it. It's people just like those posting on this forum.

2. Why do you want to abolish racial categories? Answer: to hide the inequities.

3. Oh, so America is about the individual. I thought it was also about "the common good".

4. You mean like the meritocracy of the 1600s, 1700s, and early 1800s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies