Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:54 AM

23,099 posts, read 28,825,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Companies move around all the time for various reasons. There's a lot more to it than just "taxes."

Wisconsin is supposed to have become a wonderful pro-business utopia under Scott Walker, yet we still have companies close and leave the state on a regular basis.
Nevada is yet another low tax state, been that way for decades, and yet? See an army of moving trucks coming to this state?

And the leeching companies that do move here are subsidized to the hilt! My guess, TN offered some tax incentives!

Con Agra recently announced relocation of its headquarters from low-tax Omaha/Nebraska to where? No, I'm not exaggerating and you won't believe it!!! Bankrupt Chicago!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
That is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. To each his own. So you can like whatever you desire, but don't be so presumptuous to assume everyone likes the same as you.

As the saying goes, opinions are like butt holes... everybody has them, and they usually smell.

So since the world doesn't revolve around your opinion, whose post exactly wasn't too well though out?
What i said was a fact, not an opinion.

There simply is no reasonable comparison of the two places that would support your conclusions. Your conclusions are based in wishful thinking, not reality. YOU don't even believe what you posted.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:14 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,180,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Carl's Jr. HQ Moving From Calif. to Nashville; Press Avoids Saying Why

For years, Andrew F. Puzder, the CEO of CKE Restaurants, the parent company of the Carl's Jr. and Hardee's fast-food chains, has been telling the world that while the U.S. government makes life needlessly miserable for businesses, California, where it has been headquartered, is exponentially worse.

This week, CKE announced that it is moving its headquarters to Nashville, Tennessee.

In June 2013, Puzder told the Wall Street Journal that his chain would not expand in California because the state "is not interested in having businesses grow," noting among many other things that it takes 285 days to get a building permit after signing a lease. This means the chain has to pay rent for over nine months, plus the time needed to build, while not earning any revenues.

The article also details how the company spent $20 million on class action lawsuits because of some ridiculous law about the tasks managers do while on the job.

Well, they had enough and are out of there.

One case does not make a trend:

Economic forecast: More businesses entering California than leaving, report finds | 89.3 KPCC

Quote:

“More businesses are coming than going, which is why we have this positive job growth number,” said Beacon Economics founding partner Chris Thornberg, referring to the 93,000 jobs added in Los Angeles last year, which places it squarely in the middle of the pack of major metropolitan areas.

"There's some really high-profile companies moving into the region," Thornberg said.

Mercedes-Benz and Virgin Galactic both announced major expansions in Long Beach last year, which will bring good, high-paying jobs to the area.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...102-story.html

Quote:

California has spawned new businesses at one of the fastest rates in the nation over the last decade, and faster than the U.S. economy overall, the report found. The state is also a leader in job creation tied to those new businesses: In 2013, California added jobs from newly established businesses faster than all but four other states.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,758,894 times
California just passed Brazil to be the worlds 7th largest economy, were it to be an independent nation. So I think it's fine and will get along without Hardee's.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,373,182 times
Quote:
Yeah, well I'd bet my $300K home is bigger than your $2M one. More bang for your buck here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
That's fine. I could sell my house and then buy your house plus the whole block.

But I don't like living around rednecks, hicks, and country bumpkins.

Quote:
True. People from all over sell their high priced homes from places like CA, move here, buy something as large as (if not larger than) the one they previously owned, shove the rest of their money in an annuity, and live like kings.

The only problem those of us currently living/working here is that, to do the same, we'd have to move to Central America. And not the good places.

That is what happened here in the 1990's. 1/2 of Silicon Valley moved here. Sold their little crackerjack 1000sq.ft. homes for 3/4 of a million. Came here bought 3, 3000 sq.ft. houses on an acre and jacked rents up.

In 1990 I was paying $350 for a 3 bed, 2 bath 2 car garage.... 1800 sq.ft.
In 1997, that same home was renting for $900-$1200.
Today, that same home is renting for $2400-3000.

This city has pushed all the lower income working class out completely.

My property taxes alone today, are almost 3 times what I paid in rent 25 years ago.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 AM

56,913 posts, read 25,842,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Why? That is a gigantic upgrade opportunity for their quality of life. No state tax, freedom, respect for the Constitution, far fewer illegal aliens to support, beautiful lakes, friendly people, open spaces, etc. Compare that to the ridiculous taxes in commieland, high real estate prices in orange county, extreme welfare burden, and traffic. I suppose maybe they will need help for realizing how wonderful life can be out from under the nanny government and idiocracy from jerry brown, kamala harris, gavin newsom, and the rest of the communist ilk that control the once great state of California, and have turned it into a gigantic pos.

Just leave their commie attitudes in commieland, and I'm sure everything will be just fine for them.
So why did they move from St Louis.

I think you are reading a lot into their reason, companies move for lower taxes and lower cost of living. no one moves because of the constitution. Nashville does have a pretty decent crime rate.

By the way it's 75 employees, how will California survive.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 AM

548 posts, read 470,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is what happened here in the 1990's. 1/2 of Silicon Valley moved here. Sold their little crackerjack 1000sq.ft. homes for 3/4 of a million. Came here bought 3, 3000 sq.ft. houses on an acre and jacked rents up.

In 1990 I was paying $350 for a 3 bed, 2 bath 2 car garage.... 1800 sq.ft.
In 1997, that same home was renting for $900-$1200.
Today, that same home is renting for $2400-3000.

This city has pushed all the lower income working class out completely.

My property taxes alone today, are almost 3 times what I paid in rent 25 years ago.
Sounds like you also need some prop 13.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,242,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Nevada is yet another low tax state, been that way for decades, and yet? See an army of moving trucks coming to this state?

And the leeching companies that do move here are subsidized to the hilt! My guess, TN offered some tax incentives!

Con Agra recently announced relocation of its headquarters from low-tax Omaha/Nebraska to where? No, I'm not exaggerating and you won't believe it!!! Bankrupt Chicago!!!!
Actually they've been saying they are "considering it". I think they want to see if they can negotiate money from California first.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM

268 posts, read 240,235 times
Apparently Carl's Jr's CEO is also looking into automating their restaurants. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Yahoo!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,177,923 times
Default Modern as tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
Apparently Carl's Jr's CEO is also looking into automating their restaurants. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Yahoo!
Wow! What will they think of next? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies